News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Crawfordsville, IN Aug. 9-10, 2014

Started by ATM, August 09, 2014, 09:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATM

Great first day at Crawfordsville Gun Club, looking forward to continuing on tomorrow!

Check back for more details and pics after the event and leave some feedback of your own.  :cool2:
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Weezer

Looking forward to more safety song tomorrow!   Hey...how about something to the tune of "Safety Dance"?    ^:)^
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

ATM

More history and heritage, more marksmanship, more singing, more ...safety dance.  ;)

Day 2 was pretty awesome with just a bit of rain, lots of improvement, great attitudes and 2 new Riflemen - congrats Rich and John!

Rich stepped up to take a blue hat as well - HUZZAH!

I'm beat but will add more tomorrow. Everyone did a great job and you all made it a very memorable and rewarding weekend, THANKS!

Should be lots of pictures posting up soon.  O0

Richard1580

It was an excellent weekend.    The weather was a bit sub-par on Sunday, but it was warm enough that the rain was merely annoying and not chilly.

Thanks to ATM, TJ, Stagehand Steve and Lonestar for running a great shoot.  Also, special thanks to Terry for bringing out his Garand and his Springfield Model 1873.  Holding and firing the Springfield was a real treat!

It was fun watching Emily and Christopher, the two young shooters, enjoying themselves at the shoot.  I think Emily had a lot of fun hitting steel at 100 yards on Sunday, and once he got past his initial hesitation, Christopher seemed to enjoy firing the Garand.

Looking forward to attending my next Appleseed as a Blue Hat.

Thanks to everyone who attended!

Richard1580

Terry and his Springfield Model 1873

grunt soldier

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^  Richard huge Huzzahhhhh sir!  way to stick with it and earn your patch sir!  very awesome.  wish I could have been there to see it!!   
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

ATM

:pics:

So many memorable moments throughout the weekend, I'd love to see what some of you captured and hear your thoughts on the Appleseed experience.

Anybody remember how to make their rifle safe?  ^:)^

Richard1580

I believe that putting your finger in the muzzle keeps the bullets from coming out.  No, wait - that was Saturday morning cartoons.   ;)

(Actually, that could make an interesting series - firearms operation and safety, as demonstrated by Saturday morning cartoons.)

TJ Kackowski

Quite the variety of weather this weekend … baked in the sun on Saturday and nearly drowned on Sunday.  Through it all, this group of fine Americans persevered and all became better marksmen and more knowledgeable about our heritage.

Thank you to the (adult) children who brought their Dad’s out for some time together at the range.  Weezer (Mary) brought her Dad (Mike), and Carl and Eric brought their Dad (Alan).  All of you made great strides in your shooting skills.  Another Appleseed or two and you’ll earn that Rifleman status.  Eric, it was sad that you couldn’t join us on Sunday.  That good ‘ol Model 60 deserves more time outside putting rounds down range.

A special thank you to Trevor for bringing her children Emily and Christopher.  Especially for bringing them back on Sunday.  You went to a lot of effort to get them out to this Appleseed.  I trust what they gained offsets your sacrifice.  I also hope that you’ll be back at a future Appleseed as a shooter and not just a spectator.

Kim, I was impressed with your progress this weekend.  I was especially impressed when you got behind the M14 and proved to yourself that what you learned on a .22 caliber rifle works on a .308 caliber rifle.  I look forward to seeing you at another Appleseed.

Terry, I was so glad that you tried everything we demonstrated this weekend.  I know it is vastly different from your normal shooting style.  I’m sure you’ll be able to employ some of these new skills in your other shooting.  And a special thank you for bringing out the vintage rifles for everybody to try.  I didn’t hear you say it, but I’m sure you’ll be back to another Appleseed to earn that Rifleman patch.

John, congratulation on earning Rifleman status at your first Appleseed.  I didn’t learn until after the event that you had some serious pressure on you to accomplish this goal … brothers, huh?

Rich … well done my friend, well done.

On a side note.  Weezer informs us that Scuzzy doesn’t sing or dance … sounds like ATM needs to spend some time in Texas to get those boys up to speed!

On to the pictures.

Gathering

Initial Instructions

Shooting the first Redcoat target

More Instructions

Carding the sights

The shooters are showing much better form after some instruction

Working on new positions

Our Youth Shooters receive their recognition

A bit of liquid sunshine to start Sunday

The Shooters get back to work in spite of the weather conditions

Thank you CCI!

BACON!

Rich finally gets his Rifleman’s score!

And his Rifleman’s Bacon

And a nice new Blue hat

What’s that I see … a Mosin on the line?

John receives his Rifleman’s rewards.  First the handshake and patch.

Then the bacon!

Shooting at the 100 yd line

Ahhh, yes … a new M14 and a vintage M1

Sharing with others

obijohn

Great weekend.  Thanks to all the colored hats for there insight and dedication.  Yes, TJ, the pressure was on.  I can't have my little brother sport a rifleman's patch and not be able to return the favor! ;).  It is always fun for me to share the line with those of varying experience.  I learned something from each and every attendant!

Appleseed goals:  Score in the 230's on the AQT within a year.  Rifleman with the M1A.  Either learn to shoot the "intermediate position" stage from standing or figure out how to get this overweight, arthritic old body into some semblance of a seated position. 
Adaptive Consulting & Training

Medicus

Drooling over that M14... very conflicted between that and an R700 for a .308 rifle... :bow:
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Just relax in the sling; we're going to make fun of you." -Pete!

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Lonestar6

ATM is demonstrating NPOA ... Football fan style.
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

TJ Kackowski

Quote from: obijohn on August 14, 2014, 05:15:16 PM
Appleseed goals:  Score in the 230's on the AQT within a year.  Rifleman with the M1A.  Either learn to shoot the "intermediate position" stage from standing or figure out how to get this overweight, arthritic old body into some semblance of a seated position.

We can help you with that M1A Rifleman status ... Camp Atterbury, 18-19 October is a KD Appleseed.  Bring your brother and may the best Rifleman win!

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

grunt soldier

his invisible beverage isn't the one of most's choice.  It's the Mt Dew!  he can't shoot straight with out it.  If he doesn't have the shakes he isn't really prepared to shoot.  It's what makes him ATM!

Again Rich huge conrats sir!  so glad you did it.  I knew it was just a matter of all the pieces coming together!  Huzzzzzahhhh!
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Lonestar6

I recommend you ask Stagehand Steve as he was the instructor for NPOA.
Quote from: Rayne on August 14, 2014, 11:29:14 PM
Quote from: Lonestar6 on August 14, 2014, 09:01:19 PM
ATM is demonstrating NPOA ... Football fan style.

Interesting.  Would like to learn this one, cause I'm having trouble grasping what he's doing, except enjoying a nice invisible beverage.
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

obijohn

Quote from: Medicus on August 14, 2014, 06:18:58 PM
Drooling over that M14... very conflicted between that and an R700 for a .308 rifle... :bow:

go with the M1A like I did.  I already had a built up Remmy 700  ;)  Can't really recommend the Troy rail like I have on mine.  Great piece of kit, but it is HEAVY.
Adaptive Consulting & Training

TJ Kackowski

Quote from: Rayne on August 14, 2014, 11:29:14 PM
Interesting.  Would like to learn this one, cause I'm having trouble grasping what he's doing, except enjoying a nice invisible beverage.

Steve started this segment of instruction with the known and moved to the unknown.  NPOA is achieved when the body is relaxed.  The visual image being generated is of relaxation ... something that is difficult to see when we're all trussed up with a rifle sling.

Rayne

~

ATM

Quote from: Rayne on August 14, 2014, 08:54:36 PM

May I ask what ATM is doing in this picture?

Although relaxation does not come naturally to me (seein' as I'm all jacked up on the Dew most times), with practice I've become able to generate the visual image on demand like a boss.  :cool2:

"...it's a trade to be larnt."

;)

Big John

That is SOP for Steve's NPOA instruction. I have seen it done myself.  :)

Medicus

Quote from: obijohn on August 15, 2014, 07:12:54 AM
Quote from: Medicus on August 14, 2014, 06:18:58 PM

go with the M1A like I did.  I already had a built up Remmy 700  ;)  Can't really recommend the Troy rail like I have on mine.  Great piece of kit, but it is HEAVY.

Had a chance to shoot the Sage EBR while co-located with infantry in Afghanistan. That was a sexy beast. The ones we had used collapsible minimalist stocks for airborne operations at a reasonable weight savings. Didn't like the cantilevered scope mount, though, because consistent cheek weld and eye relief was tough with that set-up. Don't know if sage chassis take Magpul parts, I bet a PRS stock would work great...

If only money grew on trees. :'(
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Just relax in the sling; we're going to make fun of you." -Pete!

RBKL

Rayne

~

grunt soldier

Those ponchos actually make you wetter. So no worries ATM is loving the rain still. Worst ponchos ever lol

Roguelet

My kids (13 year old son and 8 year old daughter) had a great time.  I posted on here that I didn't have anything for them and I meant it... I showed up with just two kids.  I knew that people were bringing guns and ammo for them to use, but I didn't even think about all of the other supplies that they would need, like mats, staple guns, sharpies, ear/eye protection, a stand- which probably has a more official name- to help my daughter support the gun, even chairs.  Everyone shared what they had and the kids were very well taken care of.  I want to thank everyone who loaned us anything at any time during the weekend, which probably means I need to thank every single person who was there.

While I'm thanking people, I really want to thank all of the instructors AND the other participants for devoting so much personal time to making sure that my kids felt comfortable, knew what to do, and had a great experience.  Even though we knew nothing about anything (seriously,) we were immediately welcomed into the group and made to feel comfortable.  The kids had a fantastic time through the draining heat on Saturday and the soaking rain on Sunday.... it's a testament to how much they enjoyed themselves that they didn't complain about the weather at all.  They were both content to lay in a puddle while being rained on as long as it meant that they could do more shooting. 

Now I want to comment on one last thing... safety.  I didn't know a single person there before I got out of my car on Saturday, and in any other situation it would have been very difficult to turn my kids over to perfect strangers on a shooting range with loaded guns, but I felt very confident during the entire weekend that my kids were completely safe.  I honestly think my kids had less chance of getting hurt at this event than they do when they're on a school playground.  I hope that if any parents are reading this, trying to decide whether it would be a good idea for their kid to attend something like this, they decide to give it a try.  My kids learned a lot, had a great time, felt important and very proud of themselves, and didn't mention video games ALL WEEKEND.  I call that a huge success! 

The only complaint that I can think of is that there aren't events in Crawfordsville more often.  :)

I did take pictures and a few videos, and I will add some to this thread this weekend.  Well, maybe just the pictures; I'm not sure if I can post videos here.  If videos CAN be posted here, I think someone needs to post a few of those safety songs... those were awesome!

Thanks again everyone... you all were fantastic!   

Roguelet

Here are a few Day 1 pictures:

Roguelet

And some Day 2 pictures...

yellowhousejake

Roguelet,

I know very well the staff you had at your Appleseed and I can promise you they enjoyed every minute of the weekend as much as your family did. Having families attend, learn, and enjoy the weekend, is why we do it.

Thank you for being there.

DAve
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ