News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AQT - what is height target is attached to target stand at 82 feet?

Started by cyclingbob, July 16, 2014, 10:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyclingbob

Hi to All,

Shooting at North Berwick Rod and Gun on 9/13/14 and have several questions on AQT placement on target stand/wall.

1. AQT - what is height target is attached to target stand at 82 feet.?

2. AQT full size target reduced to 25 feet. I am using this in my home for position practice and dry fire.
I am shooting the 25 foot target at 35 feet. I assume this will be to my benefit when I get to the range as I am practicing with a  target that is smaller compared to actual size at 82 feet.
What is target height for attaching to my wall. I assume I could work out the math if I know answer to  #1 above.

Thanks a bunch. Looking forward to the shoot. Always a great learning experience.

Bob

TomM1Thumb

not 100 percent sure but  most of the Target lines I see are not more than an inch or two above the ground, most are less than that.
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

V

There is no standard height. At some ranges depending on triangulation of distances between where you are allowed to put firing line, where the berm is and how high it is and the target line you have to choose a height that ensures no skipping ricochets, no over the berms, etc., for all of the positions. At some of our CA ranges this might entail cutting a target so that the standing can be placed high on the backer to ensure a trajectory directly into the berm with no skipping richochets over the berm behind but the sitting and prone are lower for more horizontal into the berm. YMMV

FYI, the "bell" of the target does not represent a standing humanoid figure but represents what an "opponent" laying in prone pointing a rifle at you would look like (I know to much information - but this is an "army" target we are talking about) so backers and target low to the ground may be tacticool correct but safety and requirements of the range are paramount. Also we are teaching field expedient positional shooting so just because the target is in prone doesn't mean its horizontally in front of you salt flat plane style. It may be up on a hill... etc, etc.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Phil

cyclingbob

Tom and Phil,

Thanks for the quick response. Very helpful.

I will assume for now that the target stands we use at North Berwick Rod and Gun Club will be used to post the AQT. I will measure from ground to target base. Since we don't have many prone shooters I am guessing the bottom of the target stands are three feet above the ground.

And Phil,  thanks for the tip about the target "bell." I always wondered why these targets were so small and at least in prone that's because the target is considered in prone so very small target surface to shoot at.

More information is good.

Thanks.
Bob