News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa Ga June 7-8, 2014 AAR

Started by Morpheus, June 09, 2014, 09:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morpheus

Putting this up just to get things started. It was such a great weekend at the Toccoa GA. shoot and I know others will be chomping at the bit to comment about it and post pictures.

Feel free to post your thoughts and pics and I hope to do a proper writeup when I can take a few moments this evening.

-Morpheus
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

SydLee

Morpheus,

Thank you for another great weekend in Toccoa.  This was my third Appleseed with you and they just keep getting better.  I cannot wait until September!  Thank you and all the other instructors for your dedication and patience.  As always we will try to get more woman on the line with us in September.

And my brag!  So proud of Drake for making rifleman with the rapid fire AQT!

-Sydni

GAgal

Thank you Morpheus for all you and the other instructors do! The instruction is the best I've seen.  It was our second Appleseed and I really felt like I'm starting to "get it". My groups are really starting to improve and I can't wait until September.  I am so proud of our son Drake. His qualifying round was a beautiful thing to watch.  And just maybe this old gal will make rifleman soon too. ;) Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.  See you soon.

Guardian

Congrats to Drake on achieving a 214 on the 4 minute AQT! That was the first time this instructor has seen that done, successfully. You stuck with it through the heat and improved with every round. I know that 203 on the prior target was heartbreaking. Feeling the calling to teach others?

To all the other participants, thanks for coming out and hearing our message! Please pass your experience along to help us get others to the line. We hope to see you at future events. Remember, perfect practice makes perfect.

Birddogyz

Thanks to the Shoot Boss and all the instructors.

Birddogyz

The Participants.......

Birddogyz

Congrats to the new Red Hats.

Birddogyz

Retiring of the Orange Hats.

Morpheus

My heart-felt thanks to so many patriots who came out to the GMSA range in Toccoa this weekend. 33 shooters showed up on a beautifully sunny Saturday morning. We had the makings of a summertime shoot with some high humidity and temps that were a bit on the warmish side of uncomfortable but these folks persisted.

With so many shooters and the warm temps I chose to run a relay on the main line. Even though that extended our shooting day a bit it did allow everyone a little extra rest between strings of fire and no one was sitting out at the end of the day. The main line saw one AQT Saturday afternoon and one new rifleman emerged! Aaron F. scored a 211! Huzzah!! O0

Heavy rain in the wee hours on Sunday morning left us with a collapsed canopy and quite a bit of mud on the line. But Sundays at the GMSA range are quiet until noon so that allows us time to review Saturday's instruction of the pillars of rifle marksmanship. We gathered under the pavilion for the review and we also heard a Known Distance presentation. During an early lunch we were treated to some stories of Dangerous Old Men and Gallant Women and Children- some of the best presentations I've ever heard. As we cleaned up after lunch and moved equipment to the line the sun was able to dry our firing line somewhat before we commenced to shooting.

Sunday afternoon saw a special event where I was privileged to award three fine instructors their Red Hats! Thanks to Fabricator, 76Patriot and General Stuart for your persistence and efforts to earn such a status. As I said then, I think of the RH as only the beginning.
After a proper retirement of the Orange Hats we had a few moments to run a QDAQT, and low and behold Drake G. was able to turn out a 214! Congratulations, Rifleman!  O0

I also want to thank the young shooters who were there with us this weekend. Irey G., Michael H., AJ, Sarah V., and Wyatt J. It was an honor to be amongst the likes of you this weekend. If the young folks of this nation were to emulate these, the future of liberty would be secure indeed.

Thank you to the finest of instructors that this Shoot Boss could ever hope for. You made this event the success that I believe it to be. I look forward to anytime that I can to participate in a shoot with you.

I hope to see everyone again at a shoot sometime soon, and with others that you have brought with you!

May liberty increase!

Morpheus
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Roswell

What a beautiful weekend spent with my fellow patriots!

Saturday (I didn't get too many pictures as I was in command of the secondary line after lunch)

Saturday dawned with a large gathering of eager shooters.

Before them was a formidable host of Redcoats

The patriots were prepared to handle them

It was very gratifying to see so many future shoot bosses  ;D

Congrats to Aaron F.  Huzzah!

Sunday:

After lunch on Sunday, shooters were eager to get back to work.

Their hard work paid off and Drake got his patch on the QDAQT. Huzzah!

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

SureShotSpartan

Huzzah!!! Congrats to all on striking another blow for LIBERTY!!!
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Roswell

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24

Roswell

Lastly, a note on Safety.  Nobody was injured during this, but it is a reminder to wait your misfires out in case they are hangfires. After the shoot on a different range there was an out of battery explosion from an AR with a .22 conversion kit.  Again, Luckily nobody was injured.

SydLee

Roswell,
Thanks for posting the safety note.  Something we can't be reminded of enough.  Would you mind if I took the pictures to show the ladies in our shooting league?
Thanks,
Sydni

Fabricator

What a great weekend!  A big thanks to the participants whom showed great teachable attitudes and great persistence through the warm and muggy weather.  Thanks to all the instructors and our SB as well!

I look forward to seeing many of you again soon,

Fabricator

Side note: I picked up a green "Midway USA" shooting mat from the far left (closest to pistol pit) position at the end of the day Sunday. Cindy was using it when she had to leave.  If anyone knows whom it belongs to, please email me.  I also have a full size stapler that was left behind.
�The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.�
- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Fabricator

What a great weekend!  A big thanks to the participants whom showed great teachable attitudes and great persistence through the warm and muggy weather.  Thanks to all the instructors and our SB as well!

I look forward to seeing many of you again soon,

Fabricator

Side note: I picked up a green "Midway USA" shooting mat from the far left (closest to pistol pit) position at the end of the day Sunday. Cindy was using it when she had to leave.  If anyone knows whom it belongs to, please email me.  I also have a full size stapler that was left behind.
�The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.�
- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Roswell

Quote from: SydLee on June 10, 2014, 04:43:05 PM
Roswell,
Thanks for posting the safety note.  Something we can't be reminded of enough.  Would you mind if I took the pictures to show the ladies in our shooting league?
Thanks,
Sydni

Please do Syndi. I should note that this particular mishap may have been caused from firing an AR with .22 conversion kit, but no magazine in it, thus not seating properly. I showed up right after it happened and the shooter just said it was "an out of battery explosion". So, really two things to be mindful of there.

Roswell

guitarzan

What a great weekend with a bunch of great Appleseeders.  Huzza to to these students of the rifle who persisted through the heat with great attitudes and determination. 
"She is a pretty good gun, I think."
                         John C. Garand

General Stuart

Thanks to all for for a memorable weekend. I was honored to receive my Red Hat while in the company of such great Americans. Thank you all for being there.
"I am resigned; Gods will be done."
Major General J.E.B Stuart

Ramblin' Wreck

What a great event with not one, not two but THREE new Red Hats! Huzzah. I know all 3 of those guys and they are top notch instructors. Growing the program with the finest rifle instructors in the world.

Hope to see y'all soon.

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Jambo

What a great weekend it was, congratulations to the new Riflemen and all the new Red Hats.  Huzza!

Regarding the out of battery .22:  It was my rifle that did this.  I had loaned the rifle and conversion kit to another shooter earlier in the weekend and they were having function issues with it.  I stuck around after the shoot to see if I could figure out what was wrong.  Two magazines ran fine, one "hiccupped", if you will.  That one is marked and won't be loaned out again.

But I digress...  During one string of fire, with magazine in place, the out of battery happened.  It was obvious immediately, as the sound was markedly different.  I had to pry the exploded case out from under the extractor.

In my case I was just shooting at "dirt clods" on the berm, and could see the round impact the berm.  On the line at an Appleseed this should be treated like a squib, and have a rod run down the barrel.  You never know how much propellant pushed the bullet and how much just went out the side.

I have seen this situation before with AR-15 .22LR conversion kits.  It is my opionion that many, if not all, of these kits can fire out of battery.  That's just something for all of us to be aware of, and on the lookout for.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.  -  Thomas Jefferson 1785

76Patriot

What a great weekend indeed!  I love seeing all the new shooters, but I love seeing familiar faces too.  Congrats to our new riflemen; excellent work.  Finally, a heartfelt thankyou to all who have been there along my journey to red hat.  It is a privilege and an honor to be a part of Appleseed.

"Why stand we here idle?" - Patrick Henry