News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

TED Talk; Amos Winter: The cheap all-terrain wheelchair

Started by Unbridled Liberty, June 04, 2014, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbridled Liberty

Here is an interesting 11 minute TEDx video. It deals with an MIT academic, who helped create an all-terrain manual wheelchair that is under $200.

https://www.ted.com/talks/amos_winter_the_cheap_all_terrain_wheelchair

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

desertrat144

Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on June 04, 2014, 08:22:05 PM
Here is an interesting 11 minute TEDx video. It deals with an MIT academic, who helped create an all-terrain manual wheelchair that is under $200.

https://www.ted.com/talks/amos_winter_the_cheap_all_terrain_wheelchair

UL

I read about this project a few years back, and emailed them mid-Winter about an US release of the chair.  It  looks quite different from what they showed as used in Africa, actually better.

Thanksfor posting.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan