News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ames 5/31-6/1/2014

Started by Yankeedutch, June 02, 2014, 11:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeedutch

What a great group of shooters we had.
One new riflewoman.  Who persisted despite duct-taped elbows and a sore hand.
One of our youth shooters was just a few points shy.  It took 3 of us to review his target.  I expect him to return and put up a big score without a doubt next time.
A couple more were just about there too.
I was most impressed with the attentiveness of the group and the great improvements.

We had some fun doing 100 yard KD.
Our shootboss, BuzzG, graciously offered his M1 Garand for shooters to try.
Check out the target of Jess below.  I was looking for her hits with my spotting scope and saw a hole...getting a little larger with 3 shots at 100 yards!  And to think she had to be talked into try the M1.

"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Yankeedutch

Good KD instruction was given by Mike.

Jerry gave one of the best Hezekiah Wyman renditions I've ever heard.  Our newest IIT is a natural!

We are once again very grateful to Buzz for making the trip down from Minnesota.  He now is officially an honorary Iowan.

"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Twineagles

On KD I went back to the basics and only presented the basics. Less is definitely more on this topic. I was also lucky that Buzz had done such a great job on IMC so MOA was also well understood and the math became simple.

For distance estimating I used a wooden fence post for the example. Since they are roughly 7" easy to use a 7 MOA front post to gauge distance.

This group of shooters were the most attentive and inquisitive I had ever seen at a shoot. They were definitely there to listen and learn. Late Sunday afternoon there was still a lot of dry firing and shifting around to build the SHF and gain NPOA, during each preparation period.

Best line of the day from YankeeDutch - Shooters your hydration period begins now! (steal that one it got quite a few smiles and a lot of reaching for the water)

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne