News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Going to my first Appleseed tomorrow, taking my Mosin M91/30

Started by Mosin-Marauder, May 24, 2014, 12:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mosin-Marauder

Let me start off by introducing myself.  I'm 14 and live in North Carolina. I'm going to the Ramseur Appleseed and I plan on taking no Mosin as my primary firearm and my 10/22 as my secondary. The reason for this is because I'm wanting to learn to shoot it better. I have a recoil pad on it so I can shoot it longer and I've adjusted my sling for a proper hold. Will the instructors help me sight my rifle in and help me learn to shoot it better? I've heard that this is mainly geared towards 10/22s which at first disappointed me, as I like my Mosin better.  Anyway, if anyone has taken a Mosin to an Appleseed I would appreciate your help. Also, I'm not really out to be the best person there, as I'm not, so I'm not expecting to make Rifleman unless I use my 10/22. Anyway, thanks in advance.

DrRichP

"Will the instructors help me sight my rifle in and help me learn to shoot it better?"

The instructors will teach you to sight in your rifle and teach you the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship so the you may become a better marksman.

The 10/22 is a fine rifle to use and practice with. The key here is that the skills you will learn can be applied to any rifle, and .22 ammo is a lot cheaper than 7.62×54 ammo. Consider using the 10/22 the first day as your primary rifle. If you do well with it, on the second day, use your Mosin-Nagant.

Have a great time this weekend!

DrRichP
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

509gman

^^^
What he said.
It's not the gear, but the lessons learned that are the true payoff of Appleseed. There's no shame in starting with the lowly .22 and building up. Plus you're setting a very hard challenge for yourself with the 5 round mag of the mosin (one I also share with my 4 rounded Ruger American rifle). Start with the .22 then try the mosin on the second day.
"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

DEH

Glad you are going.  My first Appleseed I took my M-14.  While I did learn, the next Appleseed I took a .22.  Why?  Because It is easier to learn the fundamentals if you don't have to fight your rifle.

I have attended 15 or so shooting classes outside of Appleseed and I always read the AARs to find out what worked and what didn't and I adjust my gear accordingly

While every Rifleman should be able to shoot a rifleman score with a Mosin (I have 5), it takes a lot of foundational learning before you do.

Check out the following for a vid and an article.  The vid is a little dated and we use some different techniques, it shows pretty much what we teach

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=20467.0
-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

grunt soldier

We have a instructor in Indiana. Very nice lady. She weights like 100 lbs soaking wet. She has shot several KD events at camp atterbury with her mosin. She learned to shoot it very well and was making hits at 400 regularly.

Definitely take your mosin and shoot it. It will be blast.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Barbie

Quote from: grunt soldier on May 24, 2014, 10:03:57 AM
We have a instructor in Indiana. Very nice lady. She weights like 100 lbs soaking wet. She has shot several KD events at camp atterbury with her mosin. She learned to shoot it very well and was making hits at 400 regularly.

Definitely take your mosin and shoot it. It will be blast.

I LOVE shooting my Mosin every chance I get.  You know how everyone has that one rifle that fits them... that they are more comfortable with than any other... my Mosin is that rifle for me personally.  I am proud to say that after diligent practice with it, I can comfortably hit out to 500+ on a regular basis.

Adjusting the sights can be a tad tricky, kind of like drifting the stock sights on a Ruger.  It was pretty accurate when I initially got it, but after adjusting the front sight and many practice targets, it got sighted in right nice.

Shooting my Mosin out at Atterbury was a blast, and I am looking forward to doing it again this year.  Work on where you place the sling so you can use it properly, I actually have mine slipped back towards me on the stock, instead of using it where it is normally hooked up.  Other than that, everything on it is left as is.  The key is to keep it firmly in the pocket of your shoulder and get that position built up right.  You'll be shooting it a lot, so you want those things to be able to absorb the recoil as best as possible.  Make sure you have all that cosmoline cleaned out, and definitely be sure to clean it afterwards... that corrosive ammo will do a number on it.

Other than that, have fun! 
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.