News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

cmp shoot Harris results

Started by Polaris, May 10, 2014, 11:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polaris

Saw quite a bit of AS gear/stickers/paraphernalia on the line at the CMP games shoot in Harris today (no coincidence it was used by some of the better shooters and one really good NOOB).  Was nice to get a good turnout.  Did what I could to pass on the message to aspiring match shooters on the line.  "AS has seriously helped my game, and I was pretty good before.  Attending an AS event would be the single best thing you could do to learn how to do well at match rifle shooting." Shot a very good score with my Swede to back up the message.  That got some attention. I think I got a few taking the bait, next shoot I'll get 'em to bite hard and set the hook.

If you've never attended a high power format match, the Harris CMP games are a great start.  Friendly crowd (as friendly as a bunch of grumpy old rifle shooters can ever be), relaxed fun atmosphere with some spirited competition if you want it.  Any WWII era boltgun, Garand or M1a with your web sling will suffice.  One of the top shooters today was shooting a CMP field grade with M2 ball. The club has loaner Garands and I have a spare K-31 if you can supply GP11 ammo. Great opportunity to shoot on a KD range and show off your AS approach to riflery.

I cannot tell you why, but this summer would be a very important time to learn how to shoot these kind of matches.  There may be a great opportunity in the future.
Owning a chainsaw doesn't make you a logger.  Put some wood on the truck and keep all your fingers and toes at the end of the day, then I'll be impressed.  Likewise with rifles.

Mike Nollett

The Rifleman Boot Camp I attended last year really opened my eyes to proper position and breathing. This has caused my scores (Swiss Rifle, CMP and NRA High Power) to improve. Although I've been shooting competitively for the last five years or so Appleseed was really a break through in terms of bettering my results. Conversely I think it would be great if Appleseed could get more folks on the line at rifle matches. We need all of the new shooters we can get.
"You'll never learn how to shoot, until you learn to shoot fundamentally"- Patrick McDonough

Polaris

Yeah, I found myself on the line in SF prone running the 6 steps through my mind.  Even wrote a big black 6 in permanent marker on my shell box as a reminder.  Shot a 99 5X!!! ^:)^.  Gust of wind threw one into the 9 ring ;)(actually that was the one shot I got lazy on my NPOA).  RF prone I got a bit discombobulated with a hung stripper clip and rushed through my second 5 shooting a respectable but could-have-been-better 90.  SF offhand, my 6 steps were in order but my muscle memory was not.  Need to hang a target in my living room and practice "shooting" that position.  Still managed a 273 silver pin and took the bolt rifle match to represent the program.  I've been working on Aftermath and others to make an appearance to these matches.  I know the schedule is tight, but it would be an excellent recruitment activity to show up, shoot a great score and sell the program to a lot of aspiring match shooters.  Most shooters on the line I talked to were familiar with the program but just didn't know enough about it to pull the trigger.  I can try to talk them into it, but some official folks in full gear would carry more weight.  I think the CMP games shooters are natural ASers.  They're cheap (milsurp rifles), like to shoot and ALL are interested in Liberty and improving their game in the meantime.

We had 23 shooters on the line.  Most have shooting age children, as well as friends and relatives that like to burn powder.  ALL were quite serious about wanting to learn how to shoot a rifle REALLY well.  They just need a nudge.
Owning a chainsaw doesn't make you a logger.  Put some wood on the truck and keep all your fingers and toes at the end of the day, then I'll be impressed.  Likewise with rifles.

AFTERMATH

Is the summer/fall schedule out yet?

I'm pretty much booked through July.... :shootself:
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Polaris

June 14,
July 5

Also, another club has contacted me about coordinating their matches with grrc's and theirs are:
April 12
May 3
June 7
July 12

The other club is oakdale gun club and I believe they will all be 100 yard reduced mm matches.

So that is a lot of matches for 2014!