News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Prepared and Spared Expo May 31-June 1, 2014

Started by Prone to Knit, May 08, 2014, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

Oneshot_onehole got a call this morning from a woman wanting assistance. She said she has tried to contact people from Appleseed but has had no response.

The Prepared and Spared Expo in Dayton, Ohio wants Appleseed to participate.  http://www.preparedandspared.com/

They are willing to give us a booth, stage time and a breakout room to do instruction. This event will be at the Hara Arena.

If someone can head this up (it's just a few weeks away), please comment here and contact:

Angie Corey, 937-361-9196

I'm posting this on the Indiana board, also.

Thanks for your service,

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Corvette

Kim

Thanks for the heads up. This is the first I have heard of the opportunity. I will try to call and coordinate details. 

Slim/Meanstreaker will circle you guys in ax I learn more.

corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

slim

Looks like it's $350 for a booth. I wonder if they'll cut us a deal (like, free) since we're a non-profit and we can give them a speaker for their workshops/seminars?

Looks like the only "local" events are way down in KY and way over in IN. We should be clear for this one here in OH. I have some personal stuff that may have me occupied that weekend though I may be 100% free... and won't know till that week. Looks like a fun expo and definitely something I'd like to be attending but I can't be point on this op. A strong alternate, sure. But won't know till that week.

Prone to Knit

Thanks, Corvette.

Slim, the price is free. This comes from one of the wonderful people we've met at other expos, Doctor Prepper (James Stevens). He's involved with several expos and recommends that Appleseed be there and they listen. He really likes us. Make sure you introduce yourself to him. He's a great guy.

When people have difficulty reaching people, he has them call us so we can make the connection.

These expos are fun to work - people are really interested in the message.  Sometimes AS is the only message of hope at these types of shows.

Thanks all!

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

slim

Well, I guess if it's free I better do my best to free up that weekend.

Corvette, you runnin point on this?

HippieChick

If it is needed, I can probably help Sunday.

Dougum

Man I thought that I would actually get two days of summer vacation.. So much for that  :wb: ;)  I'm in, probably for both days if needed. by the sounds of us having an extra room we might be able to do a libertyseed, is that what I am hearing? Let me know and I can work those details out quickly.
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

Dougum

Due to vehicle troubles I may not be there. I may be tieing up loose ends with rebuilding the Saturn and getting ready to start a new job. Would love to be there though and will try to be there.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

Pain Killer

Did I see free stage time. Maybe you could Libertyseed the whole place with the 1st Strike?!?! Great opportunity.
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

slim

Dougum

I have to have at least one day (either one works but will depend on the weather) to plant. The other day I am very willing to come and do some work with you guys. Depending on crowd size I may be down for getting the First strike checked off on PC4. It looks like the Vehicle project is moving along better than planned however we won't know fully until about Monday. If there is additional help needed please contact me.

Doug

-- Robert A. Heinlein

-- George Washington

Dougum

Alright so is there anything going on with this or did it go belly up? If not I think that we can head out on Sunday but I don't want to waste the trip if we can't be used to seventh step some folks. Again I'm willing to do first strike so if we still have a time slot let me know. Thanks

Doug

-- Robert A. Heinlein

-- George Washington

slim

As far as I know, nothing happened with it. And thats probably a good thing since we're evaluating our official positions on everything and lack professionally trained volunteers to staff events such as these.

In a few months we'll have new policies and directives clarifying how to handle opportunities like this.

Pain Killer

It is not a good thing to pass up on a free table to tell the general public what we are about. Or to pass on the opportunity to have a speaking roll and tell the 3 Strikes. Yes, we are in the middle of re-branding, but that does not mean we stop what we have been doing until that is done. As far as I know, and I spend way too much time on this forum, we were asked to contact "ThePoet" (Marketing Guy) if we were planning to talk to the Media about Project Appleseed or the RWVA. This contact is only to receive some training in order to make this contact go over smoother for yourself and the RWVA. You are not supposed to pass up on the opportunity.

If I am wrong and you have a post that says something different please link to it here.

Thanks,
PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Pain Killer

I received a PM from Corvette today that nothing has been done on this. Can someone more local to this event call her and see if we can save this and make something happen here at the last minute?

Thanks,
PK

hankal

Can someone tell me the final outcome on this?  I want to learn how to avoid missing an opportunity to spread the word, if that indeed did happen.  Thank you

slim

Final outcome was no Appleseed presence at this event.

Currently, we're very short on volunteers here in Ohio so if you'd like to spread the word, by all means, jump right in. Posting here is a good way to get the ball rolling.

TimBeatty

That's too bad Appleseed skipped this. These events are fun. Kim and Jim are great people to hang out with for the weekend. I have used my vacation days and helped out on 3 of these events in Texas.
Tim Beatty

slim

Had I not had prior OTA commitments, I wouldve been there. It sounded like a cool convention and we should absolutely develop working relationships with folks hosting events like this.