News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tallahassee, Fl. Isaac Davis Memorial Range 19 April 2014

Started by Engineer shooting, April 20, 2014, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

Patriots Day on the Isaac Davis Memorial Range a hard thing to beat. The most progress I've ever seen in a single day most of the shooters were one or two better shots away from scoring after only one day. Thanks to the staff of AdobeWalls, goose, Sean shoot here and Lucky Lori. Alchemist drove all the way from Pensacola Saturday Morning for Patriots Day HUZZAH!

The SilverBullet had a surprise visit from the Jefferson Long Rifles arranged. They came in period dress and fired a flintlock volley for Patriots Day! They also made a gift of two signs for the range!

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Ramblin' Wreck

GOOOOOSE!

Good to see brother Goose on the line for Patriot's day.  Looks like y'all had a great time.

Hope to make it to Florida soon.

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

AdobeWalls

We had a good turnout, Cooks who want to move up to Rifleman. Engineer Shooting is exactly right, there were potential Riflemen all up and down a fairly long line, it was hard to know exactly where to put instructor attention, and their interest was not dampened by chilly rain most of the day. People would shoot well, then awful for a bit, then suddenly very close, as they integrated the thousand things we were talking about and demonstrating. Another day, and, oh well . . .   fortunately, there is always another day ahead of us, the optimists, the volunteer cadre. Good group, happy and working diligently. The Isaac Davis range is becoming a home for all kinds of Riflemen. The old timers used to say, "Oh no, I found a home in the Army."  Hmmmm . . .
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

AdobeWalls

We had a good turnout, Cooks who want to move up to Rifleman. Engineer Shooting is exactly right, there were potential Riflemen all up and down a fairly long line, it was hard to know exactly where to put instructor attention, and their interest was not dampened by chilly rain most of the day. People would shoot well, then awful for a bit, then suddenly very close, as they integrated the thousand things we were talking about and demonstrating. Another day, and, oh well . . .   fortunately, there is always another day ahead of us, the optimists, the volunteer cadre. Good group, happy and working diligently. The Isaac Davis range is becoming a home for all kinds of Riflemen. The old timers used to say, "Oh no, I found a home in the Army."  Hmmmm . . .

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

Shadeville

We were in attendance on Patriots Day. What a great day to attend an Appleseed event. Mitchell, Rose, Justin and Jordan all had a great time and learned many things that will help our marksmanship improve.
The telling of the "Three Strikes" narrative made for a great history lesson. We all are eager to learn more about those events and to return to Appleseed to earn our Rifleman patches.
Thanks to all of the instructors who carved a wonderful range out of the Jefferson County woods and give their time for helping others. It is much appreciated.

Engineer shooting

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Engineer shooting

Quote from: Shadeville on April 20, 2014, 09:42:09 PM
We were in attendance on Patriots Day. What a great day to attend an Appleseed event. Mitchell, Rose, Justin and Jordan all had a great time and learned many things that will help our marksmanship improve.
The telling of the "Three Strikes" narrative made for a great history lesson. We all are eager to learn more about those events and to return to Appleseed to earn our Rifleman patches.
Thanks to all of the instructors who carved a wonderful range out of the Jefferson County woods and give their time for helping others. It is much appreciated.

Sure would be great to award Rifleman patches to the whole family!   O0

Lucky Lori

I knew it was going to be a  very different appleseed event  when everyone showed up excited and ready to go  on time. (and it was to be a 1 day event due to Easter)  Several groups came  including families and just friends which helped make it seem like people knew each other from the start.  Our line consisted of variety with  girls, boys  men, women, young and Mature.  Many had experience before coming, and just a few were new to shooting.
   Everyone improved and learned a lot and were very open to our instructions and suggestions. Although no riflemen patches were given out Saturday shooters only got 1 chance to shoot the AQT. Several were very close with that one.  The end of the day redcoats showed much improvement including shingle shots made.
   A big thanks to all the instructors who worked so hard. Tim drove from Pensacola to attend  and Goose came from Atlanta to  help, both drive long  hours home after the event.  Huzzah!  Thanks to the Jefferson muzzle loaders for  their  surprise  appearance and display and gifts given to the range.
   It was misty, cool, overcast, and not ideal conditions but  shooters put up well with the conditions. I know many students will come back, learn more, improve and  earn their patches and enjoy another appleseed event. Huzzah!
   It was a pleasure to work with all the students  and  a fine staff of instructors!

goose

A superb weekend!  Rain brings out the finest Patriots and the best events.  One of the most rewarding experiences of being part of the instructor cadre is to show up on a "new" range and immediately be part of the family.  As AdobeWalls pointed out, the answers to "Where is my group and how big is my group?" were in the good marksmanship of burgeoning Riflemen; remarkable accomplishments were seen throughout the line.

A personal perspective to share...I called my brother on the way down to Tallahassee that Friday evening, and he could not fathom how I could possibly justify driving six hours in the rain, to spend a day among very new friends, on a damp firing range, out of my own pocket.  There are no words that could justify, to my brother, the sense of duty that Project Appleseed summons.

Without question.

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Roswell

Looks like a good shoot! And I am seriously jealous of those signs!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Alchemist

What a fantastic way to spend Patriots day! The shooters were the best I have seen at understanding and applying the six steps. Everyone was grouping and getting better quickly.  A Sunday AQT grind wold have produced an army of riflemen.

I also want to thank Lucky Lori and Engineer shooting for their hospitality - breakfast, coffee, lunch and dinner and a fine new blue hat (my perfect color) with my name on it!

Isaac Davis Memorial Gun Range is a thing of beauty! the range is set up perfectly and all the beautiful flowers, plants and trees are wonderful. So many amazing little details that really showcase the love and commitment to Project Appleseed.

I'm coming back for more and I think it would be worth anyones time to travel 3 or 4 hours to attend an Appleseed there or even just coordinate to visit sometime the Ken and Lori are going to be there.

The Gentleman with the Silver Hair might even let you shoot.

Huzzah!

AdobeWalls

Heck, I was holding the line during the Jefferson Longrifles presentation. Can someone explain why they were firing a salute to the Port-o-let?