News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Richmond IN, April 19th 2014

Started by yellowhousejake, April 19, 2014, 11:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

The Alcorn Family Farm is a great place to have an event, it just is. Alan and his family are great supporters, seventh steppers, and have their heads in the right place about this program. They "know what they are about."

I wish I had brought the flags again, the weather report I last heard was no wind, so I left them at home disappointed that we would not have them waving all day like the last event there. Well, we had plenty of wind that never stopped all day, and I feel like we missed a bit of "atmosphere" that would have been enjoyable. Next time...

Where do I start? So many good folks, many smiles, many lessons learned. Some were hard lessons, some were important lessons, some were true epiphanies. I saw much improvement all across the line as groups became rounder for most. We had some struggles and while the students might not have seen the improvement, the instructors did. Positions were excellent by the end of the day and everyone's willingness to learn was evident to all. Instruction was taken to heart, new things tried, marksmanship improved. Smiles were abundant.

So many names and some I remember from past events, I can't go through them all. But I have to mention our young students. You guys rocked! Safe, polite, good natured, attentive, who says the next generation is lazy? I didn't see it. From our teenagers at the top of the hill who looked like a shooting team by their positions, to young Paul working a Cricket like a factory demonstration shooter, they made my day even more enjoyable. Hats off to the Ohio crew who came to lend a hand, they provided enough extra support that we were able to supply a good bit of one on one instruction. Even for a one day event, a one day Patriot's Day event, I think all the students got some personal time.

I do hope everyone found the day worth their time and I hope you see the promise in our fellow Americans that I see. In guiding this country to into the future, we all have our hands on the wheel, those Patriot's gave us that gift. We just need to start steering instead of sleeping.

DAve
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AAOptics

I was there.  The traffic between me and the shoot was a nightmare, but it all worked out.

This was my 3rd shoot.  From a host standpoint, I enjoy each shoot differently, but Its seams I also enjoy each shoot more.  Today was great for me, because not only did I get my Blue hat, but I got to spend a good part of the day helping a young man who exceeded any expectation I even remotely had for him.  It was very good for me to be able to share the experience with Paul, because I've watched him grow up.  To me that's what its all about, just like at my last shoot when my 2 year old daughter was at my parents house, and pointed at Mae and in a real stern voice said "I go shoot with my daddy".   That is what any father wants to hear.  This year she got to help myself, neice, and YHJ set up the range, so give her a couple years, and she will be on the line. For anyone on the fence about hosting a shoot, DO IT.  You will not find a more rewarding experience.

From a shooting standpoint, I really didn't know what to expect.  I had never been to a Patriots day shoot, or a 1 day shoot.  Everyone did a great job of diving in, and soaking up the material, while moving at a brisk pace.

After the shoot we had 20ish people show up for a bonfire which way great.  We spent a lot of time together threw the day, but the time was very structured.  It was a good way of un winding, having some laugh's (most at grunt soldier's expense)  and hang out in a less structured environment.

Since I don't mind laughing at myself, the lesson for today was that its more important to tuck your shirt in than I ever thought.  I spent a large portion of the day as a brass block so a 5 year old didn't get burned by hot brass.  I've been hit with a fair amount of hot brass in my day, and you kind of take it like a man and move on.  At some point and time I got a little bit of plumbers butt, and as luck would have it, a piece of 556 brass went exactly where you would not want it if your had said plumbers butt.  I can assure you its not possible to move fast enough to get the brass out of said area, but its a good laugh NOW.

All told, another huge +1 from me, and I look forward to the next shoot.

IndyGunworks

This was my first time working at a 1 day shoot as well.  I didn't know what to expect and thought there was no way they would be able to get it all in.  BUT, it really didn't feel like anything was missing compared to a two day event.  I can point out all the things that were left out, but as far that the overall experience and what you walk away with, I don't think its any different than a 2 day.

I enjoyed the CAMPfire afterwards (sorry allan, if it fits in a tractor rim its not a bonfire).  Only problem is that I didn't leave until 1030, so I didn't get into bed until midnight and now I am working with only 3 hours of sleep. I solely blame Vette for that because he wouldn't stop putting firewood on the fire....  I was able to talk with the guys from ohio who have been looking into giving a strike in the first person like I had failed to do so long ago... they gave me some really good ideas that is something that might be plausible.

This was my third shoot w/ Mary and Scott.  I think I have worked with them at least once at all three shoots and their improvement continues to amaze me.  they may not have a patch, but they definatly have the hearts and the persistence of riflemen for sure.  If someone doesn't take advantage and put a hat on those two when they do patch it will be a missed opportunity for sure.

I was also impressed at the kids on the range.  and I use that loosely because all of the kids were closer to being mature adults and MANY of the adults I am surrounded by.  It was a pleasure to see them shoot.  I am fairly confident that 3 of them would be riflemen if they came to another event.

Overall great range, great host, great instructors, great weather, great blue hats = great shoot.

moosehead

This was my first Appleseed event, and I could not have been more impressed.
It is immediately apparent that safety is the number one priority.  From the safety meeting first thing, to the review of the line after every round of live fire, the RVWA volunteers are looking out for our safety.  More importantly, as they were just as diligent at the end of the day as they were at the beginning.
Speaking of the volunteers, we had a fantastic group of people.  Could not have been more friendly, and they were doing everything they could to make sure we had a good time.  It was obvious that they were volunteering because they are passionate about the program, and everything it stands for.  While I initially signed up to improve my marksmanship, which did happen, I ended up enjoying the history aspect more.  So much so that, even though my knee was shot ¾ of the way through the day, pulling me out of the action, I wanted to stick around to hear the last strike.  My goal now is to get myself in a physical condition that will allow me to do a 2 day event.
If pressured to pick something for the crew to work on, I would say scheduling.   That's only because the wife asked me why I was leaving there at 6:30 instead of 5:30.  Considering it was a group of almost 30 of varying experience levels, and the fact they were trying to put 2 days of information in one, I think the volunteers did an excellent job.

indyjohn

I really didn't understand what I was getting myself into. My expectation was more of a refresher course on what I've learned shooting Highpower for 16 years. It really was a much greater experience than that. I relearned some of the basics of marksmanship and a couple new techniques that will help me be a better rifleman. I do believe that every rifle owner should attend an Appleseed, at least once. The project really does improve the shooter.

Our instructors and support staff really carried the knowledge and message with a sincere devotion. And the history lesson was outstanding. Huffman is an accomplished storyteller. My wife and I are real fans of history and I saw that my son was truly captivated. But on the 19th what I really received was an education. Suffice it to say we will be attending again in an effort to win that patch.

Thanks for all your work.
John

SPQR

You were great students fellas. Go now and find the date for your next Appleseed. Keep your eyes open for our Atterbury dates.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Dougum

moosehead and indyjohn, we appreciate hearing about your experiences and I am absolutly elated to hear that we surpassed your expectations. We had a great time and we will most definitely be making a border raid yet again this year to Indiana. It was refreshing to experience a whole new instructor crew and I hope to work with many of you again.

Doug
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

Richard1580

This was my fourth Appleseed, but my first one day seed.  It was a great day.   I was curious how they would fit everything into a single day, but they not only accomplished it, but did a superb job in the process. Despite being a bit chilly in the morning, the weather turned out to be perfect and made for an exceptional shoot.  It was great to see so many young shooters in attendance - I think they made up about a quarter of the shoot.

Many thanks to Allan for hosting the event and for the bonfire and hot dog roast afterwards - it was a great way to finish up a phenomenal day.

Thanks also to all of the volunteers who ran the event.  Their hard work and dedication are what makes Appleseed possible and they did a grand job last Saturday. 

yellowhousejake

Starting the morning with our first lesson.

"Let's look at that sling..."

One of the safest students on the line.

Meeting of the minds, LS6 working on her PC2

Time for some history

Not old enough... yet.

Buckeye Border Raiders!!!! (and glad to have them too)

Kids

and families...

If you ever need position models, Crissy and Nick come highly recommended.

Father and son time.

"I need two hundred and ten points? How many fingers is that?"

"A man has to know his limits"- John Wayne

A big day, a big line.

Our Riflemen

Roy

Mark

Dan with a remarkable effort. Keep those targets.

Those crazy kids. What do they do? They follow the rules and listen to instruction. What do they say? Yes sir and thank you. Gimme more kids.

We found a solution to Alan's sunburn issues, put a hat on him.

Welcome to our new redhat, JSW!

Thank you to Niecie for the pics!!!!

DAve
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

grunt soldier

what a great weekend.  so glad I could spend patriots day with fellow patriots!  Everyone was awesome and did a great job.  thank you all spending your easter weekend with us. 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

JSW

The only way this event could have been better is if it had been raining!  The beautiful weather is to easy.   (sarcasm).  Alan ,   Thanks for having us .   Shooters thanks for your time!  Hope you enjoyed Yourselves,  you are an excellent group of students. 
I want to again encourage you to get involved somewhere.  Huzzahs!  For your efforts. ^:)^

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.   James 5:16

camodiesel

After attending the 2 day event last year and learning a lot from the staff and fellow shooters, I attended this event with more knowledge and patience. I put it to use and finally earned my rifleman's patch, now I have to try with iron sights and see if I can make rifleman again. Each event is great because you get to meet different shooters and coaches every time. Everyone there is very helpful and the environment is safe and friendly. When I got home and talked to my family about the day's events one of my teenage girls asked if I would teach her to shoot. I might have to bring her with me if she decides to apply herself and I can teach her to be safe on the firing line. Thanks again for a great time and I look forward to the next event.