News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Port Townsend, WA March 22-23, 2014

Started by George Hacker, March 22, 2014, 08:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Hacker

I'm looking forward to spending a weekend in the sun with a bunch of fine patriots on the Olympic Peninsula. Shooters and instructors, please post pictures and comments about this weekend's event.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Earl

Just got home from a great weekend at Port Townsend, WA. I would tell you what range we were Appleseeding at, but since they haven't given me permission to take or use pictures from this club - they don't understand Liberty and I have nothing to offer them.

Now nine shooters on Saturday and eight on Sunday, steady improvement and ready for more in the future. I had a great time, instructors have more information to give, although I was sure we gave them too much, too often.  http://earl-earlsview.blogspot.com/2014/03/what-is-liberty-and-what-is-there-to.html

Hope to see them all return with friends, and there are more Appleseeds on this schedule to be held in Port Townsend.

Edited by Earl
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

George Hacker

Wow! We had an excellent time last weekend. Weather was nice. Shooters were teachable. Instructors worked well together. What more could a shoot boss ask for?

Things went smoothly Saturday. We were ahead of schedule in the afternoon so we finished up the day shooting 3 AQTs. Usually I finish up with 1 or 2. When I recorded all of the shooting scores, I noticed that there wasn't much of a change from target to target, so we spent more time doing drills on Sunday. We Sunday with a redcoat target, then we worked on the 6 steps and SHF for prone on 2 sets of squares. All the instructors got in the dirt and groups got much better (see Earl's picture above - great shooting Mikayla!).

Yankee Terrier and Ralph Hardin did great jobs telling the stories of Samuel Whittemore and Hezekiah Wyman. Earl and I told the rest of the history. The shooters left with a deeper appreciation of their American heritage. We also had a few bystanders take in some of the history.

Kevin was the only one who shot a rifleman's score... multiple times. Well done!

Mikayla was knocking. She started Sunday shooting 201 and finished with a 188. Keep dry practicing. You are so close.

Martin, it was a pleasure having you at the shoot. Well done, shooting 198 on Saturday. I'm sure you would have earned the rifleman's patch if you could have made it out Sunday.

Erik H, you shot a 197. You are also knocking on the door of earning your patch. You were very teachable and I could see you trying to apply everything we were saying.

Henry, your high score was 172, a very respectable score. For some reason you seemed to lose focus later in the day on Sunday. (It also didn't help that others were helping you with your target.) Keep working on your steady hold factors and the 6 steps to firing the shot.

Chris and Eli, it was a pleasure seeing you two shoot together. I wasn't sure I had gone to an Appleseed event until Eli ran downrange when it was clear to check his target, then I knew I was in the right place. Thank you for your help loading up at the end of the day Sunday.

Eric, you did much better on Sunday. I appreciate how you tried the loop sling. You were really getting the hang of it. I hope to see you at another event in the future.

Mike, it was a pleasure having you at the shoot. You understand how your sights work and you were improving with each target. Keep on working on the fundamentals with your AR.

Sam and Tristan, you both shot respectable scores on Saturday. We missed you on Sunday and hope you are feeling better.

Thank you, Jefferson County Sportsmen's Association, for hosting us at your range. You have a wonderful facility.

Thank you, Earl, Ralph, fyrediver, and Yankee Terrier, for your help with the shoot. You are an awesome team of instructors.

Thank you, Yankee Terrier, for a wonderful dinner on Saturday and for all of your coordination with the range. We couldn't have done it without you.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Smoothtrigger

I wanted to thank all the Appleseed instructors, and our host range for putting on another great weekend helping all of us improve our marksmanship, and adding to our knowledge of the Revolutionary War. The tremendous sacrifices that a relative small group of freedom lovers made that ended up changing the world, still astonishes me on many levels.

Great bunch of shooters who all made significant improvements. The race is on among the teenagers for who will get that patch first. I know who I'd bet on.

I've attend 5 Appleseeds, all at different ranges, and this facility is my favorite. I'll be back in May, on my birthday no less.

I'm on a quest and my first AQT score of 243 was quite encouraging.

As far as the restrictions the range has imposed on the posting of photos (for some pretty serious reasons) doesn't bother me a bit. 

I can certainly understand Earls feelings, but Im cool with the ranges current stance.

See you in May.

Smooth

Earl

I am okay with it, remembering I have all the pictures, just am not sharing them. My own secret horde. I only come for the instruction, the heritage and the smiles from fine future RWVA folks. ;)

Edited by Earl
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Smoothtrigger

Question: How do I edit my posts. I type like a mad man and "occasionally" :) I need to make a minor correction.

By the way I shot a perfect dry fire target today.  I took a picture, but it didn't do it justice.

Wish you all could have been there.

Smooth

Earl

As I look at my posts, there is a pencil and tablet in the lower corner, I click on that and get sent to the post screen with the old comments.