News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Maine 2014 Appleseed events

Started by TOMINCT, March 15, 2014, 08:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

Maine is going to have a good start after the thaw with 3 events on board thus far.

April 19 @ Columbia. A new raised firing line recently installed will do wonders if the weather kicks in. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=234&id_event=2785

May 3-4 @ Monmouth. Nice, sheltered range not far from I95 mid state. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=262&id_event=2786

July 26-27 @ Skowhegan. Nice looking range and host of the first AS in Maine, glad to be back again. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=551&id_event=2819

We hope other locations will be listed soon.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

The Old Guide

You can check the snow depth at our ranges here:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html

I live in the 25 to 30 inch area, but we have over 30 inches and it's dense stuff.

We need some IITs to sign up for these shoots.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

2ndMile

I had/have FD training on April 19th and May 4th but I am signed up for Skohegan. Looking forward to it already!
I live in Liberty! (no, really. I do.)

Mark

Too bad, 2nd mile, I was hoping to see you in Monmouth. It was good to shoot next to you last year.

2ndMile

I have Basic Fire School all day Sunday for the FD. I was thinking about coming over for Saturday only but I see that this year they are not offering a one-day price. I can understand why though, it is a lot less confusing on the payment page.

Dah... now I am thinking about it again!  :)

The Old Guide

We have six people who "say"they are coming, but have not signed up due to the missing one day option on the Eventbrite. Come out. We'll adapt. We just had a one day event at Columbia last week.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

2ndMile

Should there be a one-day option on Eventbrite or did AS do away with it this year?

Mark

I believe there are only 2-day events. If you can only attend one day, then as you know Saturday is when most of the instruction occurs.

2ndMile

OK. I am signed up. Looking forward to the event and being on the line with Mark again!  :---

Brian

Mark

Went over tonight to set stakes - set them at 25 yards  :slap: thought of that on the way home

Swept the pad and set stuff back as before. Someone has dumped and spread some of that gray "ledge dust" down the ramp and toward the pad - what an unexpected blessing! I drove over it a lot to pack it down - hope it is easier to travel over this year.

Adjusted the sling and tried the 10/22 with Tech Sites. Shoots dead on and slightly left over a rolled up shirt - the groups open up "a bit" when done from standing. Had a hard time finding good NPoA standing.

I'll be back over Friday night to run AC out to our instructors and reset stakes if needed. Ground's soft so it should go easily.

2ndMile

I will be using Tech-Sights as well this time. I bought a 10/22 'for my wife'. I am trying to talk her into attending an AS but no joy so far. I sighted in 'her rifle' and shot an AQT. Scored a 209 and that was with only 3-5's on the bottom row.

I am packed, ready, and excited.  ^:)^

Mark

I hear you on the wifey - mine likes to shoot 22s but only with no one else there. She took the NRA personal protection course and shot well with my .40 but it was a "bit barky" for her. Bought a 9mm conversion barrel because I am such a considerate husband. Maybe the key is to build up confidence one-on-one.

Headed over in a few minutes to see if the Guide and wife NCL have arrived, and to stock up the fridge with burgers and dogs. Hope you have TUMS in your range bag! A couple others will be there tomorrow who I'd like you to meet.

TOMINCT

OK folks, this hasn't happened in a while.

SKOWHEGAN IS SOLD OUT!!!  ^:)^ ^:)^ Almost 2 months prior to the event!  O0

Thanks to the diligent efforts of the club BOTG the line filled and many folks have inquired about watching and taking it in from behind the firing line.

There is some more good news. Because of the inquiries of those who couldn't attend the shoot there will also be a LIBERTYSEED on Saturday night at the club house: http://www.libertyseed.org/libseed-EIP.php?locationid=602 There is space for up to 125 people for the Libertyseed.

So, it has turned into a double header by the looks of it. Check your calendars and hope to see you there.
Ramseur 2-12!

BeSwift

Might think about relays? We've been running them here in MD for almost a year. Twice the people being "Appleseeded" with only a bit more work? If you want details on how we do it, drop me a PM.. Congrats on a sold out line!  O0 O0 O0  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

TOMINCT

New addition for September. North Berwick R&G will host a one day shoot on the 13th. Rimfire only as it's on a newly built range.

Info: http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=268&id_event=3052

Registration: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/north-berwick-me-appleseed-september-13-2014-one-day-event-tickets-11896158731

So, SW Maine is back in the swing of things. Close to I95 and what the area has to offer.
Ramseur 2-12!

ThePoet

We received a post on Facebook from a gentleman named Steve Hanson.  Steve mentors fatherless boys through his church and is interested in bringing a group of boys to an Appleseed.  He has permission from his club, Brooks Gun Club, in Brooks, ME to host an event.  He also said Big Pine Gun Club in N. Guilford, ME is also interested.  I've attached a screen shot with the details, including his contact information. 

Thanks.

Poet

The Old Guide

Thanks. I have been in contact with Steve Hanson for nearly a year trying to get a date and location to do this.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

TOMINCT

This is great news, hope to see it come to fruition. Either or both!
Ramseur 2-12!

The Old Guide

December 6 & 7 there is a shoot at Columbia. It will likely be a Winterseed. Last year we had two families from New York because we still have freedom in Maine.

-break-

North Country Lady and I are on the local school board here. We are delegates to the state school management convention this week. I will be wearing my Appleseed dress shirt bough from the Appleseed Store. We will both have plenty of tri-folds. Then in November we will put on a Libertyseed for home schoolers and their parents in Auburn, Maine. It will be held in a parochial school where there is no prohibition against firearms in the building. I'll have a dummy rifle to briefly talk about rifle safety, the six steps, positions and clearing the line. I may have white hair, but I can still get into all the positions correctly and get back up unassisted. ;-)

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012