News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Cloud, MN March 8-9, 2014

Started by Taylor, March 10, 2014, 12:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Starting the thread and posting my pics before I forget.  #)

Thank you Waite Park Rifle Club for hosting another GREAT event.  O0 :bow:

Please note the impressive Redcoat targets... a total of three misses across the entire line on Sunday's final target and AFTERMATH clearing Sunday's first Redcoat with his cold M-14. Great work everyone.  O0 O0  :~ :~
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Polaris

Thanks for putting on a great show guys.  I came into this one with a skeptical but open mind.  I can now go back to the HP/CMP crew I run with and sell the program honestly and fully.  Hopefully I can get the door open on a KD range shoot.  There are 3 potential options near the North Metro .  Minnetonka, Elk River and Harris.  I have contacts at all 3. 

I have a considerable amount of HP experience and I learned that this program is definitely not just for novice rifle shooters. I was a bit humbled at first until I started following directions. Even advanced shooters will have a great time and learn and hone a lot of valuable skills directly applicable to all the rifle sports, casual shooting and hunting, and God forbid something else.  Basically, I learned a lot and am very much looking forward to showing off my new and improved 6 step skills at the next CMP match.  Wish me luck, a few clean targets and "gold" scores there would get some folks attention.  Thanks again guys, had a great time!!!
Owning a chainsaw doesn't make you a logger.  Put some wood on the truck and keep all your fingers and toes at the end of the day, then I'll be impressed.  Likewise with rifles.

AFTERMATH

A couple more photos to hold you-all over 'till I get my write-up done.   O0

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

AFTERMATH

Taylor and myself had the honor of instructing six of America's finest riflemen and future riflemen this weekend.

I've gotta hand it to these brave souls, who despite this years record-breaking cold and snowy Minnesota winter, and a grim forecast, signed themselves up to a full immersion in the quintessential American experience.  And the near exclusively Minnesotan WinterSeed experience.  When they did so, they did so under the understanding that everywhere in the region had an average of two or three feet of standing snow.  Little did they, or we, know how much the Waite Park Rifle Club and the weather had conspired in creating ideal Appleseed conditions.

It was certainly refreshing to see bare ground, and relative to the prior weeks - I found it difficult to call this a WinterSeed!

The weekend started off with a balmy 2 degrees F - Our warming trend was just beginning. 
The sideways, 4wd, jot down the road to the range was an ominous start but as the gates were opened and we approached, this beautifully cleaned firing line and range became clearly visible. 

I cannot thank Waite Park Rifle Club enough for how well they prepared range and supported this event.

We kicked things off, and made quick progress on the fundamentals of marksmanship.  I'd like to say that Taylor and I were completely responsible for the improvements made - but these shooters made it easy. 

There was definitely some rust to knock off - mostly on our end - as well as equipment issues to work out.  But by the time we got to our first QD-AQT of the weekend everyone was ready to see how they'd do. 
No surprise, we had one Rifleman right off the bat!  Brian, at his second event, showed that the first time wasn't a fluke! 
I can't recall off the top of my head, whether it was, Ryan aka. Polaris' first or second try but he also made the cut on Saturday afternoon!

Joe, who'd quickly absorbed and applied what we taught, was dangerously close but alas, the day was drawing to the end.

Sunday, started out a little shaky as we couldn't shoot 'till noon, but we took the time to talk about actual distance, adjust our positions and hear about some dangerous old men.  After lunch we were ready. 

We shot some squares, working on getting a solid zero.  And attempting to combat equipment malfunctions - Mostly loose scopes and bad magazines.  We began shooting AQT's in earnest, and it was clear that everyone was making progress, in spite of the temperature which was now a scorching somewhere above freezing.  Thankfully, we had a brisk wind to keep us cooled.   

Joe quickly began hammering out the Rifleman scores - at times proving that hits are more important than numbers.

Al, Dan, and Austin, still had some kinks to work out as the day approached its end, but as evidenced by the final Red Coat targets - they were certainly about to break down that barrier and claim their prize.

The much coveted Rifleman patch - thousands have tried but few have succeeded. 

Brian, Polaris and Joe; you join the ranks of approximately 160 Minnesotans who've earned the patch.  Of that, only a small percentage have been awarded the Icicle version.  Congratulations!

Al, Dan and Austin - You have the skills you merely need to add a little polish and a bit of persistence, and I'll gladly add you to the list of Minnesota Riflemen!

Our numbers may have been few but our spirits were high. 

The fewer the men, the greater the glory!

Much thanks again to the Waite Park Rifle Club, to the shooters, and to Taylor for making the long trip from East Minnesota!

Our next stop here is in June!

Until then, I'll see you on the trail!

Alex

P.S.  Take a look at those Red Coats - I only count 3 misses out of the entire group!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

ahhshoot

Making the decision to go out and better yourself is a hard decision to say the least. But to wake up on the first day of your weekend at single digits, and still throw your boots on! I commend you shooters.
Good job instructor crew. Aftermath you're my hero... Not kidding.
The past is only the future with the lights on.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: ahhshoot on April 04, 2014, 11:28:50 PM
Making the decision to go out and better yourself is a hard decision to say the least. But to wake up on the first day of your weekend at single digits, and still throw your boots on! I commend you shooters.
Good job instructor crew. Aftermath you're my hero... Not kidding.

No, Taylor should be the hero - My car probably wouldn't had made it down the road on day 1...