News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Eagle Creek, OR Feb 15 & 16 - Known Distance

Started by Kimber Custom, February 13, 2014, 02:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimber Custom

First KD event at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club this weekend. Looks like we're going to get wet and we may have to do a little wind correction :)

I've had a couple of last minute cancellations so if you want to come give me a shout.

How many KD Rifleman will we make? Stay tuned...

Flipper

Well day one went pretty well. Everyone who came deffenitly proved that they could take the weather so good job everyone  O0
The shooters had a great attitude and were ready to give it a shot
Hopefully the weather will be way better tomorrow crossing my fingers

Flipper ;D

AmbulanceDriver

Well, after the swim home last night, I'm excited for today.  According to the weather guessers, we're looking at less rain, but more wind.  So we may not have to swim between the firing points, but just spread our mats and fly there.  :D

Earl

This was a fine Rifleman's weekend. Kimber Custom had some great training, surprises and ideas and we all got to shoot and learn. I wish I had been better, but I took more pictures than sent bullets down range.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

james76

Kimber Custom

Wow - what a weekend. Saturday we experienced a light misting of... okay maybe a drizzle... Holy Crackers Batman it was monsoon season! Shooters laying in lakes. Pouring water out of their receivers between strings. Wading out to the target line. Dumping buckets of water off the canopies every time we cleared the line. Where's the Waterseed patches?

We lost a few people to weather related equipment failures. Our goal for the weekend was to get data. Even those shooters who left early at least left with the knowledge that their rifles may not be counted on under water.  :(

Our 200y target line fell apart twice. We called it before we finished our 200y sight setting and didn't end up shooting a red coat Sat afternoon.

Sunday was a whole different story. I can't say the weather was perfect but it wasn't too hot or too cold, we got to play with some wind. I think a little liquid sunshine came down twice and we were at lunch for the worst of it.

We started on the 200y line and got our sight settings. Shot stage 2 for our first AQT. After scoring we moved to the 100y line and shot stage 1. Fell back to the 300y line for more sighters and stage 3. Had lunch while Prescott presented some advanced concepts like angles and moving targets. We fell back to the 400y line for our final set of sight settings and to finish out our first AQT.

4 full distance riflemen were made - Ken, Alan, Al and Jon. Alan with iron sights I might add. Huzzah!

Well since we were on the 400y line we shot our second AQT backwards. At the end all 4 riflemen repeated and Griff joined the ranks. Al shot an impressive 235.

Several others were knocking; all were shooting good groups on the sighters but couldn't quite pull it together on the AQT. Persistence will pay off for each of these shooters.

We set up on the 250y line for one final shot. One mag, one round - 8" gong. Congratulations to Al and Dave (iron sights for Dave) on joining Daniel Morgans Riflemen. Two more shooters nicked the rope holding the gong in place. A 10" gong and they would have hit.

Then the icing on the cake when Alan stepped up and took an orange hat. Huzzah - Huzzah - Huzzah

I can't say enough good stuff about our first KD at DRRC - Thank you to the club, the range RSO's, my family who ran the line, the instructors who came off the line at times to instruct and of course you who came to shoot. Without you, none of this happens and liberty becomes a memory.

Prescott

Kimber Custom,

Thanks for putting in all the long hours to put together the first Known Distance shoot in the Pacific NW.   This would not have come together without your dedication to the program and your persistence in improving our relationship with Douglas Ridge Rifle Club.   

The event was spectacular even though Mother Nature did her best to dampen the spirits of the participants on Saturday.   I know I will still be drying out some of my equipment today, as every piece of gear I brought to the shoot is still moist.

Congratulations to all the new KD rifleman, but it was already known that you knew what you were all about. 

Thanks to everyone that showed up for the event; the camaraderie at this event made it especially fun.  I guess it is true that misery makes good company.

Three cheers for the Shoot Boss; Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Kimber Custom

AmbulanceDriver

As wet as the weather on Saturday was (several of us spent lunch Saturday in the shack with the wood stove trying to dry out at least a little bit - most of us wanted to hug the stove I think) and as sore and tired as I am today, it was an absolute blast to spend the weekend getting good solid data on my rifle, as well as building up some good camaraderie with fellow Appleseeders. 

Thanks to the DRRC board for hosting this event, to the DRRC RSO's who got just as drenched as the rest of us.  And thanks to our Shoot Boss Kimber Custom, who as Prescott pointed out, has put in a tremendous amount of work to build up the relationship between DRRC and Appleseed, as well as to set this shoot up.  Thanks also to Mama Bear, Flipper, and Nat for helping Kimber run the line so the NW instructors could shoot at the event.

There was a lot of good-natured ribbing, a lot of friendship, and a lot of encouraging each other, in short, a lot of what I think makes Appleseed people some of the best people out there. 

Thanks again to everyone who helped out, and to everyone who made it out there in the weather to make this one of the most fun shoots I've been to.

Kimber Custom

Thank's Prescott - Since your now KD Rifleman/Shoot Boss; you get to run the next one and I'll shoot  ^-^

Oh and take a look at those last two pictures with rifles. The Daniel Morgan shingle is under the right hand white 6  >:D

TheSquirrelPatrol

I was having a good time Saturday morning even with the wet and the equipment problems, and I'm sorry I left early, but I was pretty clearly coming down with something, and spending a whole day soaked to the skin was not indicated.  I ended up spending the rest of Saturday and most of Sunday bundled up in bed, moping that I wasn't putting metal down range.  One fun little ancedote: even after shaking off on the line, and shaking out my clothes before they went into the laundry, I ended up with four spent .223 cases rattling around in the washing machine.  Apparently I was serving as a excellent brass catcher for the shooter to my left!

Nero

Nice facility!  I particularly like the water features!   >:D  ;D  We'll have to get over there for a shoot once we've relocated.

Where did you get those D targets?  They don't look like RWVA standard issue.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

AmbulanceDriver

Quote from: Kimber Custom on February 17, 2014, 01:56:47 PM
Thank's Prescott - Since your now KD Rifleman/Shoot Boss; you get to run the next one and I'll shoot  ^-^

Oh and take a look at those last two pictures with rifles. The Daniel Morgan shingle is under the right hand white 6  >:D

Wait, you mean that itty bitty tiny white speck isn't a piece of dust on your lens????    @)

Kimber Custom

Quote from: Nero on February 17, 2014, 02:49:57 PM
Nice facility!  I particularly like the water features!   >:D  ;D  We'll have to get over there for a shoot once we've relocated.

Where did you get those D targets?  They don't look like RWVA standard issue.

I asked the RSO's if they had recently stocked any of the lakes with fish.

The target is in the instructor forum somewhere - Resources maybe? Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send you the .ai file. I then sent it to a printer who made them up for $1.65 each. I'm really glad I had them too - the repair centers didn't arrive until Fri morning so I was really sweating not having them and they were all ruined on Sat anyway.

kenjo

Thanks again to Kimber Custom for making this happen, and to DRRC for providing the range and RSO/Life Guards for the weekend. The club RSOs were great for coming out in such miserable weather and watching us shoot--I'm sure they would have liked to be shooting as well. As to the water features--I'm sure I saw shark fins in a couple of the "puddles" but they could have been sturgeon.

Great shoot, good friends to shoot with and excellent rifle data. I'm looking forward to the next one. You know, the dry one.  ..:..

kenjo
"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

Kimber Custom

Quote from: AmbulanceDriver on February 17, 2014, 02:58:43 PM
Quote from: Kimber Custom on February 17, 2014, 01:56:47 PM

Wait, you mean that itty bitty tiny white speck isn't a piece of dust on your lens????    @)

Be grateful I painted it white - it started the day black. Heck Prescott was pushing for camo.

cubflyr

Thank you Kimber Custom for organizing this shoot. What a blast ! The sound of High Power all around for two days was absolutely magnificent ! A special thank you to DRRC and Terry (host at DRRC) for allowing me to park my camper on the site and use the club building to dry all my equipment and clothes Saturday night. Very much appreciated. As bad as the weather was on Sat., exchanging money for smoke and noise is the best. Now it's time to start reloading all the spent brass (after I dry it out in the wife's oven) !
Had a great time with all the Appleseeders I have met before and the ones I hadn't met before and hope to see again on the trail.
Earl, I'm happy that you are doing well!   :--- :---
Cubflyr.

Kimber Custom

Quote from: cubflyr on February 17, 2014, 06:30:30 PM
The sound of High Power all around for two days was absolutely magnificent !

I have to agree - more than once I stood back and grinned from ear to hear at the 'all center fire, all the time' line. It was like the sound of a Ferrari motor.

Aardwolf

Last weekend was an absolute blast - I'd be doing it again this weekend if I could! Kimber Custom and his family ran a smooth event despite what the weather threw at us. DRRC's RSOs were equally outstanding and getting almost as wet, doing double duty watching the line and providing life guard service. :sos: For some of the 100 yard drills, I just smoothed the targets down on to the soaked backer and skipped the staples, they just pulled through anyway. About the only time the weather got the better of us was late afternoon Saturday when the 200yd targets, soaked with rain and the wind whipping up blew off the backers twice in a row followed quickly by some 25 meter drill targets doing the same. Could the weather have been better? Sure. Could the company have been better? No way. Appleseeders are the cream of the already great shooting community. :bow: I don't know exactly how many off duty Instructors were on the firing line as shooters but they all slipped in and out of the roles of shooter and Instructor as needed which helped keep things moving. For Ball and Dummy I think most of us shooters had a shooter/Instructor for a buddy. (Hi, Shadowman!)

Speaking of Shadowman, during one of the rides on the trailer to check targets Sunday, he asked me what I had learned this weekend and I didn't really have a good answer at the time. But now that I've had a chance to think about it, I did learn a lot (more or less in the order I learned it):

• Weather will effect the function of your equipment. Whether it's water beading on your front sight (it didn't look so blobby last time. Quick wipe with the fingers.), filling the rear aperture (too much diopter for me. Blow it out.) or just making your rifle more slippery (woah! The Monsterman grip on my California legal AR doesn't have much purchase on the front when wet. Tighten up that sling.), you may need to adjust your regular technique and/or equipment for conditions.
  • Don't neglect the Ball and Dummy drill. I do somewhat regular dry fire practice for highpower and smallbore but the last time I did Ball and Dummy drills was at my last Appleseed more than a year ago. I was shooting a .22 then and had no problems during the drill. This time on the first dummy the front sight did an embarrassing little dance. :slap: There's a big difference between dry fire when you know it's just going to go "click" and Ball and Dummy when it could go "bang". "I'm Alan and it's been one week since I last bucked my shoulder." "Hi Alan."
  • The encroachment of tyranny on liberty is nothing new. :sb: Kimber Custom covered some new material regarding the history of various covenants between People and their rulers/governments in the history lesson at lunch on Saturday, the bottom line was every time the People put limitations on kings/government/etc. they will continue to try to take more powers. This history was the foundation for the philosophy of liberty that became ingrained in early American culture and made the Rebellion possible, and perhaps, inevitable.
  • I confirmed what you learn with a rimfire translates directly to centerfire - the 238 on the QDAQT I shot on Saturday afternoon was 26 points higher than when I shot Rifleman with my .22.
  • I got data on my rifle at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards.
  • I learned to shoot in the wind. At distance it will have more of an effect than you might think. I think it was after the first 300 yard sighters, everyone was about eight inches to the left.
  • I confirmed the fundamentals you learn at 25 meters translates to full distance. (At least 400 yards and surely farther but I haven't tried that myself yet.) Shot Long Range Rifleman. ^:)^ (The Appleseed challenge coin Kimber Custom gave me for doing it with iron sights was the sweetest icing on that cake.)
  • Confirmed that the data I got on my rifle is solid by shooting Long Range Rifleman again. With a better score, no less. I think I was gaining more experience with reading the wind by then.
  • It doesn't end there - I took the seventh step and will be wearing an orange hat at the next Appleseed I attend. ~~:)

I strongly encourage everyone to try to get to a Known Distance Appleseed. There are much fewer of them so it may not be as convenient. My first Appleseed was less than 20 minutes from my home - this one was about eight hours away. But even if you can't, you will still learn the most important skills at 25 meters.

Aardwolf

Quote from: TheSquirrelPatrol on February 17, 2014, 02:34:33 PM
I ended up with four spent .223 cases rattling around in the washing machine.  Apparently I was serving as a excellent brass catcher for the shooter to my left!

I was just tossing those in there to keep your core temperature up.  @)

Flipper

I cant wait for the next KD  ..:.. We had good number of instructors on the line I'm hoping next time they will be instructing  :cool2:

It was really cool to hear all the center fire going off from both sides of the line I thought that was neat

ItsanSKS

Quote from: Aardwolf on February 23, 2014, 06:34:18 PM
"I'm Alan and it's been one week since I last bucked my shoulder." "Hi Alan."

This was great, Alan.  I couldn't help but laugh. 

QuoteThe encroachment of tyranny on liberty is nothing new... the bottom line was every time the People put limitations on kings/government/etc. they will continue to try to take more powers. This history was the foundation for the philosophy of liberty that became ingrained in early American culture and made the Rebellion possible, and perhaps, inevitable.

In my mind, it was inevitable.  A people alive with the fire of Liberty in their hearts will only tolerate tyranny for so long, before it simply becomes intolerable.  The brighter the fire, the stronger the aversion to tyranny. 

That light, that once burned so brightly in the hearts of our countrymen, is but a flickering ember today.

QuoteThe Appleseed challenge coin Kimber Custom gave me for doing it with iron sights was the sweetest icing on that cake.

Congratulations!   It is no easy feat!

QuoteI took the seventh step and will be wearing an orange hat at the next Appleseed I attend. ~~:)

By far, the best line in your entire post.  I hope one day to meet you on the firing line.  You will certainly be welcome any time up here in Alaska.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."