News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Bedford, IN Winterseed Feb 8-9, 2014 (TONS of pics)

Started by techres, February 09, 2014, 11:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

What a great weekend!

A small, but hearty group of Americans gathered in the very wintery cold to practice their skills, learn about their history, and exercise their rights.

Cold?  Yes, very.  20 degrees but windchill was far less and for much of the time we were getting powder coming down.

There is so much that can be said, but what matters most is how proud I am of all who came out and toughed through with smiles, laughter and good cheer.  Oh, and great food!

First of all a huge thanks goes out to our students who came out to learn and suffer through the cold hours. 

And a thanks goes out to the instructors who came out to teach:

And to our range host who brought food, a warm shed, fires, hand warmer tanks and beavers to wear:

And congrats to those who earned the blue patch under some very challenging conditions:

You all earned those patches!

And for those who missed all our fun, a few final outtakes:

Here is the senior red hat grading AQT's

While the SB keeps careful track of that time monkey:

And youth listened to their elders:

And the fire crew picked all green wood:

LOL!

In any event, it was a great time, and I couldn't have spent cold weekend in any better place or with any better people.

Thanks to you all, and hope to see you on the trail again soon.

Techres

A full set of pictures are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13203642@N06/sets/72157640755734423/
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

grunt soldier

Looks like a awesome time.  wish I could have made it.  Congrats to all who attended and persevered in the cold instead of just sitting on the couch!
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Nero

That place sure looks different under the white.  Wish we could have been there!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

techres

Quote from: Two Wolves on February 10, 2014, 01:35:25 PM
Great pictures!    O0   Too cold for me!   ::)

One morning, driving down there in the snow, there was a large coyote standing by the side of the road shoulders forward staring at me as I drove by.  He had that shaman/familiar/animal guide look to him and I was pretty sure it meant something bad.  When I got to the turnoff to the turnoff to the range and hit the brakes I slid and slid and slid on the black ice.

Lucky for me I had work to do and could not let mr. furry death have his way with my fate. 

I had seeding to do, no time to roll into a ditch. 

But I did slow down.   ;)

DaveD

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

beautiful_dust

Fun day and my little man Z had a great time!! That kiddo is ate up with Appleseed :pop:. :-)
We can't all be Washingtons, but we can all be patriots. ~Charles F. Browne

The patriot blood of my father was warm in my veins.     ~Clara Barton

The American Revolution was a beginning not a consummation.
~ Woodrow Wilson

Know your past to know the future.

techres

It was pointed out to me that I missed one patch:

He did get it.  On the last shot of the day.  Just in time.

JSW

It was a great time......of lack of heat !  But  " epic"  yes .   Unforgettable -- yes.  Thanks to All who came out to make it  happen. 
The pics of the team Z , should shame all those wood stove huggers that stayed home because it was cold,  you seriously missed out.
  Thanks Chillydog for all your hospitality. 

Dread Pirate Bob

I certainly need to make time to attend one of these.

Looks like a an amazing experience.

JSW

Everyone needs a memory of a weekend like this!  I will treasure it forever.    Hopefully it can be repeated many times over.  Windchill and all.+ cherry cobbler and fried chicken. 
        Blue Hats rock!!!!!!    Bedford Applecore ----wow. 
Student attitude  was persistent at its best.
Winterseed. ,,,,,,priceless .

techres

Quote from: JSW on February 10, 2014, 10:39:43 PM
The pics of the team Z , should shame all those wood stove huggers that stayed home because it was cold,  you seriously missed out.

They are impressive kids and do their ancestry proud.

techres

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

K9mal

Quote from: techres on February 10, 2014, 03:04:22 PM
Quote from: Two Wolves on February 10, 2014, 01:35:25 PM
Great pictures!    O0   Too cold for me!   ::)

One morning, driving down there in the snow, there was a large coyote standing by the side of the road shoulders forward staring at me as I drove by.  He had that shaman/familiar/animal guide look to him and I was pretty sure it meant something bad.  When I got to the turnoff to the turnoff to the range and hit the brakes I slid and slid and slid on the black ice.

Lucky for me I had work to do and could not let mr. furry death have his way with my fate. 

I had seeding to do, no time to roll into a ditch. 

But I did slow down.   ;)
Thanks for sharing.  The animals KNOW stuff we don't sometimes.  Appreciate the reminder to remember that it is in my best interest to listen carefully.

Hickory Stick

As I watched the snow start falling down out the front window of the house I was jealous that I couldn't be laying belly down in it shooting beside my family and such a fine cadre of instructors. I would personally like to thank each and every individual that was a part of putting this Appleseed on.

Appleseed is an interesting thing. Some think its about Rifle Marksmanship. Others think its about the history,posterity, and beginning of our great country. Or possibly just to get folks off the couch and engage. I would agree with all three. As I saw my wife and two oldest girls come into the house that evening after that snowy, cold day of shooting I realized something. Appleseeds ability,with the right instructors, to build character in people. They excitedly talked none stop about the days events, all of you, and how much fun they had. Funny how being out in adverse weather having to cope and function builds Character. Hmmm!
     Many moons ago, when I was a lot younger, I found myself in the isolated breaks country of south central Montana cowboying. It was January and we had 1100 first calf heifers to calve in sub 10 degree weather.We were on open range with a 100 acre fenced in area to contain them to calve. One ole Cowboy and I worked the night shift horseback.We were supposed to work 12 hr shifts but never worked shorter than a 16 for 8 weeks straight, 7 days a week. Wonder where Im going with this, Ill get there. After we finished our calving in that  8 weeks the crusty ole cowboy pulled me to the side and said I was welcome around his campfire anytime. That meant more to me than I could ever explain. This man was the real deal, and had more character and grit than any five men put together that I have ever met!
    I don't put much emphasis on a individuals personality, its all about their character. Thats what really matters, and thats what I see in Bedfords Appleseed Instructors! Slow to Speak you are the one of the hardest workers and most genuine men I have ever had the privilege to meet, and work with. You'd be the first person I would hire if I had a business. Huff you are in a unique way an amazing teacher and story teller, with a phenomenal memory for history and how to engage people in it! Funny my mom , dad , and sister are all teachers! JSW, every young boy[and girl] needs mentored and taught by you at a young age!  If Kerry and I passed unexpectedly in fatal car accident you would be the one that I would want to raise my kids. There are not many left like you. Rayne I want you for my neighbor! If I had to go to battle you would be my pick, woman or not! Techres I don't know you that well but your ability to teach and simplify complex topics is unmatched in my book! Your skill at catching people in photo amazes me and is a huge asset to Bedford Appleseed. Your pics are awesome man! Barbie as I watched you help Kacy in her first Appleseed I saw the kind of person that you were! There are a lot of great things for you to come in life and Im excited to see what they are! You are top notch and a force to reckon with! You all are welcome around my campfire anytime!!!   

" If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."   Thomas Jefferson

Ignorant and free can never be.....

SPQR

By giving us the honor of teaching your children we are invigorated.  They are absolutely remarkable.  There are a couple hundred million people in this country I wouldn't hand my car keys to but I would hand your kids my favorite rifle without hesitation every day of the week and twice on Saturday.  In fact, I did.  Their character livens the echoes of our fathers and you should be proud.  They're hard as coffin nails and cute as buttons!
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Barbie

If there was one word I had to pick to describe the weekend it would be: refreshing.

The cold, crisp air... the snow falling on the rolling farmland, the sound of steal being dinged... after weeks and weeks of all work and no play this is just what the doctor ordered.  It's funny how even 1 day on the range instructing can be enough to re-energize a person, but it can, and did.  I always leave a shoot like this with motivation to push on through to the next event and whatever obstacles may lie in its way. 

Team Z:  I always enjoy working with your family, and look forward to working with ya'll more in the future.  I remember the 1st shoot you all had ever attended, and now fast forward to this event... it's nice seeing my lil' appleseed family grow up before my very own eyes  ;)

To our fellers down on the left end of the line:  keep on fine tuning those skills... a rifleman's work is never done, both on and off the range.

Instructors/Blue Hats: You guys, as always, rock.   :---
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.