News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ohio Appeals Court says 2nd Amendment applies in cars

Started by Nero, February 09, 2014, 12:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

DGMilty

Been fighting this for years!  Indiana passed a law which stated that employers couldn't restrict the rights of law abiding citizens!

I worked with then Senator Joe Uecher a few years ago on House Bill 571 which would do the same for Ohio residents.  Unfortunately it was an election year, and didn't get very far.  My employer still violates my 2nd Amendment rights!!!
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.   -Thomas Jefferson

WY_Not

I'll be the odd man and say they are not violating your rights. It is their property and the can set any restrictions on how and who can access it. It is their right to do so as the property owner. After all, your rights end where they impact someone else. If you, or anyone else, does not like it then you are free to go elsewhere. That being said, what is in your car is your business and yours alone. If they want to look inside they can go get a warrant. Otherwise all they may do is ask you to leave. It is not a matter that government should be sticking its nose in.

Same thing SHOULD apply to smoking in restaurants, bars, and other places that are private property that is open to the public. Note they are NOT public space or public places, they are still private property. Gov had no business sticking its nose in the issue. If people didn't want to eat where there was smoking, they were free to go elsewhere. And if they couldn't find a place to go... well, that just sounds like a business opportunity to me. If there was an actual demand for such places, then entrepreneurs would have stepped up to fill the niche. If a business looses enough customers then they will either change their smoking policies or they will go out of business. Same for employees of those businesses, if they don't like the smoke they can go elsewhere. The business will either have to find new employees or raise the wages to attract employees willing to work in a smokey environment, or they will change their smoking policies. All that amendment did here in Ohio was introduce threats of violence and grant government yet another foothold into private matters.

After all, property rights are the bedrock of all other rights. Without property rights, all others are pointless and can not exist.
Joseph
aka WY_Not (IIT3)

jeep45238

USAF A1C ~ Never settle for the ordinary.

Rights cease to exist when restrictions are put on them.

henschman

Quote from: WY_Not on February 23, 2014, 10:02:32 PM
I'll be the odd man and say they are not violating your rights. It is their property and the can set any restrictions on how and who can access it. It is their right to do so as the property owner. After all, your rights end where they impact someone else. If you, or anyone else, does not like it then you are free to go elsewhere. [ . . . ] It is not a matter that government should be sticking its nose in.

Same thing SHOULD apply to smoking in restaurants, bars, and other places that are private property that is open to the public. Note they are NOT public space or public places, they are still private property. Gov had no business sticking its nose in the issue.

This. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819