News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Self Reliance Expo April 4-5 Mesquite

Started by Prone to Knit, January 24, 2014, 02:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

Hello, Texas!

This is letting you know there is an expo coming your way in about 2 1/2 months. Appleseed will have a booth and pellet line. 

http://www.selfrelianceexpo.com/  This will be at the Mesquite Convention Center, April 4-5.

As in the past, here's the help needed:

Help setting up the pellet line walls/booth the afternoon of April 3rd.

People to run the pellet line and to talk to attendees.

A flyer with your state events.

Water for the instructors.

Candy, the good stuff (chocolate and chewies) for the instructors and attendees.

We will have everything else needed.

Please look at your schedules and see if you can work this event. We look forward to working with the Texas crew again.

Thanks,
Kim

Kim
Prone to Knit

Jim
oneshot_onehole
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Fred

This being in the Dallas area, can we expect a great turnout of AS volunteers to help out, in that well-known "Texas spirit"?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

TimBeatty

I will be there on both days from open to close.
Tim Beatty

Bullet

Quote from: Fred on January 24, 2014, 04:14:33 PM
This being in the Dallas area, can we expect a great turnout of AS volunteers to help out, in that well-known "Texas spirit"?

Of course!  O0

I can be there either Thursday through Friday early afternoon, or else Saturday. Jim and Kim, let me know which you want. Look forward to meeting y'all!
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

TimBeatty

Bullet, This is the one we need the home school flyers for.
Tim Beatty

floydf

We've got some bunk space 20min away from the convention center if needed for out of towners.  Reddot and Scuzzy can vouch for the accommodations.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

Reddot

The nicest B &B in Texas!!  Working on the boss to give me time off for this--more to follow....

Quote from: floydf on January 26, 2014, 04:43:15 PM
We've got some bunk space 20min away from the convention center if needed for out of towners.  Reddot and Scuzzy can vouch for the accommodations.

scuzzy

Quote from: Reddot on January 29, 2014, 08:57:46 AM
The nicest B &B in Texas!!  Working on the boss to give me time off for this--more to follow....

Quote from: floydf on January 26, 2014, 04:43:15 PM

Nice accommodations - and nicer company.

Reddot - If you're going I'll hitch a ride.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

spitstickler

I will be there. Can help set up Thursday night. Once we get a little closer on the date I'll know if I can help Friday and/or Sat.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

FSinTexas

floydf

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

hromero

Junior and Heather can help Saturday.   &)

Gugisman

The right to freedom is the gift of God Almighty....The rights of the Colonists as Christians may be best understood by reading, and carefully studying the institutes of the great Lawgiver and head of the Christian Church: which are to be found clearly written and promuligated in the New Testament.
― Samuel Adams

floydf

Kim,

need phone numbers for people to contact you to get access badges and such.

Thanks,

Floyd

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Prone to Knit

Here are the final details on the Self Reliance Expo at the Mesquite Convention Center.

http://www.selfrelianceexpo.com/events/april-4-5-2014-mesquite-convention-center-tx/

Mesquite Convention Center
1700 Rodeo Drive
Mesquite, TX 75149

http://mapq.st/1h1mNQC

Move in is Thursday, April 3rd, 12PM - 6PM. We will arrive with all the goods at 2PM if all goes well. Our plan is to arrive in Mesquite on Wednesday.

We have walls to build for the pellet range. If you're helping with this, bring some 7/16" and 1/2" open-end wrenches or sockets. We also have a booth to decorate. We have all the supplies for this.

We will stop and get heavy bags of something to weight the walls to keep them standing. However, if someone is doing a home project and is getting bags of sand or cement that they can loan to us for the expo, that would be great. This comes out of our pocket along with a lot of other unreimbursed expenses to make these trips so if someone is spending the money anyway for a project, please let us know. We use 10 bags. Each rests on legs built into the walls. It takes roughly 2 hours to get the booth set up if we get enough help.

The show runs:

Friday, April 4th, 11AM - 7 PM
Saturday, April 5th, 9 AM - 7 PM

At 7PM on Saturday, we start breaking down the booth. Many vendors will break down earlier, against the rules. The contract says your booth will be open until closing (so that those who arrive later get a full show). Thousands of dollars in space is donated to us and we honor the contract we signed. It typically takes a little over an hour to break down and pack up the booth and get everything into our vehicle.

What we need from the instructors:

Water (I saw Spitstickler is bringing some). You'll be grateful to have it.

Candy - the good stuff, which means chocolate and chewies - we've had a lot of people come over because of the candy. It's up to you if you want a candy jar (we have the jar). It's not a necessity, just a nice thing. Plus, the instructors enjoy the pick-me-up, too.

Flyers for Texas. People will be coming from far away but just worry about Texas.

If you have the new tri-folds, feel free to bring them. All that we have (that we'll bring) are the old ones and we need to mark out the prices (a nice Thursday night project if you want to help us out).

Redcoat targets - if someone could bring a couple hundred targets to supplement what we have, we'll be sure to have enough. This is what we have people shoot with the pellets.

We will have everything else.

If you need to call Jim, his number is 719-287-4199. We will have the vendor badges for everyone. Just tell people when you come in that you're working the Appleseed booth and come on back. We've never had an issue with this. The Appleseed shirt will convince them.

If you have the polo shirt, wear that. If not, a nice new-looking Appleseed shirt works.

We look forward to seeing the Texas instructors, again.

Kim

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Prone to Knit

Jim and I set up what we could today. We'll be at the expo Friday about 9 am to build the walls if anyone would like to help.

Kim

TimBeatty

I will try to get there by 9am on Friday. I am planning on being there both days.
Tim Beatty

Bullet

Planning to be there all day Saturday. I have Texas promo cards I can bring.
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

floydf

We have a funeral for an immediate family member at 11a Sat, which will wipe out the entire day.  I am hoping to get away early today to help out this afternoon, but as of yesterday afternoon, that was looking a little risky, and I'm not 100 per cent sure I will be able to get away in time to be able to get over to Mesquite in time to be of any help (work is 1 to 1.5 hours away from Mesquite).