News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Introducing a new field match at CCFSA (SW Ohio, Wilmington)

Started by dirtdawg, January 16, 2014, 01:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah2A

Thanks for the laughs, enjoying day 2 of college right now.  :cool2:

Saw Ben last weekend at the USMMA, he is doing fantastic. He is first in his company of 50 in physical fitness and academics, and his company is the "honor company", highest ranked, of the 5 companies in his class of 250. He is happier than ever.

While I was there on the parents' weekend, I went with him to his History of Seapower class and took their quiz over colonial sea power history, and beat his score and aced the test.  :---

I am hoping to make it to the next match, and drag my room mate along too! He is an experienced AR shooter, I'll be handing him an AK and we'll see how he does. All I know is it'll be great fun once again!

dirtdawg

The current leaderboard is dominated by Appleseed veterans.

dirtdawg

slim

I missed this update somehow.

Rayne, I did have the baby blues covered up, except that one time dirtdawg yelled at me (several times) "EYEPRO!" I was trying to cheat the parallax caused by my glasses and kept pushing them up on my tactical operator WOLF AMMUNITION hat. I truly believe if I would've had some brownies with peanut butter fluff I could've won this match easily. Especially since Mrs. Dirtdawg forfeit again.

Noah, I'm glad to read Ben is doing well and so are you. I look forward to seeing you again soon. I hope you can make it to the September match. That's the last one scheduled this year.

And yes, Appleseed Veterans are dominating the leader board. Is that just happenstance? I think not!

Noah2A

I'm already excited to bring my roommate and my Dad out to the match! That Sunday will be the first time I've touched my wifle (ask Ben) in over a month. I think I'm gonna have to rig up a dry fire rig for my dorm room... Here at my school, all manner of knives are welcome on campus and in your pocket, but I still can't have my rifles haha.  :sos:

Oh and Slim, just for you. I have a mohawk and beard now.  -:)

slim

Quote from: Noah2A on August 21, 2014, 12:31:13 AMbut I still can't have my rifles haha.
There once was a Master Instructor who was also a Distinguished shooter and former Navy Shooting Team member. (He may or may not have looked like Santa Claus.) He used to tell a story at all his events and I remember it to this day.

He tells of a young man in the military who was a competitive shooter stationed in the state of Georgia(? Sorry, been a while since I heard it and forget specifics) and would shoot and shoot and shoot. He was getting ready to represent our country in the Olympics. One day he got orders to go to Hawaii and it's not so easy to shoot on the islands plus he couldn't have his rifles with him. So that young man went into his room every night, turned off the light, and laid down in prone on the floor. He'd visualize shooting an entire match, making all the appropriate shifts, breath control, etc. Once his year was up it was time for the Olympics. He went there having not fired a real shot in a whole year.

He was able to shoot well enough to take 2nd!

....and then, the first place shooter was disqualified for a technical error and the young man's score was good enough to win the gold!

When VAShooter told us this story he got tears in his eyes. The dedication that young man showed to put in the time and effort to win gold was so impressive a story it inspired him to become a better shooter. And it showed the rest of us we didn't need to send lead downrange all the time to be winners. Dry fire works! Mental practice works!

Clicky pens work!

Quote from: Noah2A on August 21, 2014, 12:31:13 AMOh and Slim, just for you. I have a mohawk and beard now.  -:)

Don't do it for me... do it for those wild and crazy men our age (see what I did there? OUR age? HA!) who sported the free-est haircut the world has ever known.

dirtdawg

Shooters!

We have the last match of 2014 on the schedule for September 14.  If you are not otherwise engaged (Richmond, IN and Knob Creek, KY come to mind), why not come out to CCFSA and try out some 200 yard known distance with your centerfire rifle?

I will be calling the line and feeling fine after my 25 year high school reunion.  That means I won't be able to defend my high score on the leaderboard.  I just have to stand there and take it while you try to knock me off of my pedestal. :pop:

Your preparation period begins now! :---

Oh, BTW we are on the schedule for the second Sundays in 2015 beginning in February (excepting, of course, Mother's Day)

Del

I will be there if it rains hard enough to cancel T-mans football game.

slim

I'll be there rain or shine. I'm 7th Stepping the Whitetails Unlimited Deer Camp event the night before at Great Wolf Lodge so I'll be in the neighborhood. Might as well stop by and shoot a 401.

Noah2A

I'll be there, and I'm bringing my room mate from Pennsylvania too.  :---

dirtdawg

Quote from: slim on September 05, 2014, 12:33:13 PM
I'll be there rain or shine. I'm 7th Stepping the Whitetails Unlimited Deer Camp event the night before at Great Wolf Lodge so I'll be in the neighborhood. Might as well stop by and shoot a 401.

401 will knock my score, but will it win the match?

slim

Quote from: dirtdawg on September 05, 2014, 02:48:51 PM401 will knock my score, but will it win the match?
All depends on whether Mrs. Adams forfeits!

dirtdawg

Well,  at our last reunion she got really drunk, started a brawl and almost got arrested.   I guess we will have to wait and see...

slim

Quote from: dirtdawg on September 06, 2014, 12:47:39 PM
Well,  at our last reunion she got really drunk, started a brawl and almost got arrested.   I guess we will have to wait and see...
worldstarhiphop.com or it didn't happen!

dirtdawg

I have to admit, with all the smack talk and the lame excuses, I was begging to doubt the effectiveness of a Mohawk as a shooting aid. Well, today it all turned around as slim emerged as the clear victor, crushing my high score that stood unchallenged for months. Whoever views this rebel as an easy matter is sadly mistaken, for slim knows very well what he is about.

Noah2A

Slim took the match with an incredible 426, and how could he not, with that mohawk, AR, and this pose?

Beautiful day here in good old Ohio, had a great day with my dad, college room mate, and the friendly folk of Appleseed.

Slim may have beaten my 382 handily, but I beat Ben's high score of 381 by a mile!!  ::)   Felt great today even though I haven't been able to shoot for a month, but yesterday I dry fired the whole match. Payed off!! I set personal bests in every single stage and I do believe I now hold the Stage 2 record  ;D

Thanks for all  the awesome Sunday afternoons this year, guys!

slim

Today was fun. This whole weekend was fun. I'm honored to be out on the line with you fine Americans and I look forward to the days when Mrs. dirtdawg can shoot with her ear plugs in, Ben comes back to shoot with Noah (because the brothers challenge each other way more than I can) Del doesn't have football games to watch over, and dirtdawg himself is able to shoot with us.

I think we did Isaac Davis proud!

The greatest thing about these matches and our leader board is Appleseed dominates! There's no better way to sell the program out on the range than putting some 55gr WPA to good use and showing folks how the USGI sling will tighten up your groups. When they see what we can do and how easy we make it look they say, "I want to do that too." Field shooting sure is fun!

See you guys next year. Don't forget to dry fire!

Noah2A

Don't worry Slim, the dry firing and late-night match visualizing is compulsive at this point!  :pop:

Ben demanded (like I wouldn't anyway? Riflecraft is our thing!) that I e-mail him pics of all my targets and discuss all my scores and every stage of the match, he wanted to know all about how my Dad and Dan did as well, how Slim was doing, how many people showed up, how many had expressed interest in Appleseed, the whole 9 yards. Poor guy is missing his spot on the line and instructing, we both love teaching, be it sunday school or IMC, and hanging out with shooters new and experienced. A guy I traded knives with in California last week is headed to his first Appleseed next month, it's hard not to 7th step whenever someone mentions shooting! When someone looks you in the eye and tells you life is hard or uncertain, you give them the Gospel. If they tell you shooting is hard and uncertain, you sent them to Appleseed   :) All the people of Appleseed are the best.

If I can get a bunch of medical stuff cleared up by the end of Christmas break like I'm hoping to, I should have a lot of free weekends over the next year. You guys think there is a spot for another tri state orange hat? All I need is an excuse to head out for a weekend and clear rifles, teach, talk history, and enjoy the smell of Merica and smiling shooters.

dirtdawg

Noah, you asked:
"You guys think there is a spot for another tri state orange hat? All I need is an excuse to head out for a weekend and clear rifles, teach, talk history, and enjoy the smell of Merica and smilin"

I'm going way out a limb here and say HUZZAH!!!

Del

I'll second that Huzzah! Noah your welcome anytime.

Slim as I watched T-man's team take a 22- 42 whooping, couldn't help but wunder how the match was going. Congrats.

Noah2A

Got some 7th stepping coming up! I am on Cedarville University pistol team, and the rifle team challenged us to a rifle contest this Sunday! Got an enthusiastic all clear from the pistol coach to bring out my AK and show them how it's done Appleseed style!  :)

slim

On the menu for the rifle team: Humble Pie.

Go get 'em Noah!

Noah2A

Thought I'd share this with you guys, at RifleBen's prodding:  http://adventuresinriflecraft.blogspot.com/  It's a blog I made for my Composition class about this year's field matches.

slim

Huzzah! Very nice blog. I'll share that on my facebook page for the whole world to see.

Think you'll be able to join us at Crittenden, KY over turkey day? We're having a regular Appleseed on Fri/Sat and then an "informal" KD/Tac Ops day Sunday. Come one or all three days. It would be really cool to see you, and everyone else, and to smoke you with that beat up AK.  &)

Noah2A

I might just have to rearrange all of Thanksgiving to come out there... I'm sure I can make it at least one day! Ben will be home then as well  :cool2:

slim

It would be awesome if both of you guys could stop by. Huzzah!

Noah2A

I'm gonna do everything I can to get both of us out there! Ben and I had a great day on the 50 and 100 yard range on 2 Saturdays ago.

Checked some schedule stuff with the family. My Mom is having a scrapbook party on Friday so my Mom had planned on her boys being gone shooting then anyway! Ben goes back the evening of the 29, I know there's literally nothing he'd rather be doing than anything to do with Project Appleseed. So he might be there two days, I'm going to try to make it to all 3!

Gotta finally get one of those shiny Rifleman's patches! Huzzah!

RifleBen

There's nothing I'd like more than to go as a shooter with my brother, and no better way to keep my skills sharp even though I can't shoot much or keep my rifle here- my AK anyway, we have Garands.

I go to sleep every night by visualizing the Six Steps, but some live fire would be nice too  :---

I think I'll sign up as a shooter and bring my hat along just in case. Slim, how many instructors are signed on for the event?

Edit- figured out the new instructor site. Looks like some great folks that I'd love to see again are signed on!
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."
                                                                             John 15:13

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt