News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Introducing a new field match at CCFSA (SW Ohio, Wilmington)

Started by dirtdawg, January 16, 2014, 01:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Only picture I got from the match was my "butt spot" that I used for stage 2. I figured I'd use my prep time to not only build a solid Rifleman's Nest, but to build a comfortable seat and, probably more importantly, allow me to put my feet far enough down below me that I could settle in and breath.

Well worth the time!  O0

dirtdawg

I like the field expediency of the gravel platform. I just realized that I must have inadvertently hit the TTIWWP Icon. Oops!

Noah2A

The April 13 Match was great, gorgeous weather and a wide variety of shooters, including a young buck who was younger than me, which is always great to see!  :)

I've never shot my new AR past 25 yards or at an Appleseed, so it felt awesome to be reasonably on target all day at 200 yards. Reloads were all good and zero malfunctions too. My short range practice, sling fiddling, cleaning, and dry fire have been validated.  ;)

dirtdawg

Thanks for coming out Noah.  Glad you enjoyed it.  It was a beautiful day, but a little breezy.  The mud wasn't nearly as deep as last time, plus I didn't have to plow snow **)

Bob M. stepped up his game and came out way ahead with a 348 x1.  He actually scored an 84 x1 on stage 3, but I caught him monopod-ing.  Stage 4 went way down for him  ;).

slim

May's match is the 18th. I can't be there since I'll be SB'ing at Nashville, IN so we'll need a few of you Appleseeders to come out and represent. Show folks how it's done!

This really is a good opportunity to test your skills (and equipment) at 200 yards by shooting what amounts to a 200 yard AQT. Get a little AQT practice and some KD action. Win-win!

dirtdawg

Update on the Centerfire Field Matches.  With three matches completed, we have some standings to report.  Three of the top six scores came from February. Top six scores of all time: Melinda Adams 364x3 (Feb), Mike Abshire 358x1 (Feb), Bradley Settle 349x1 (March), Bob Martin 348x1 (April), Jay Kendell 338x1 (Feb), Brian Roos 329 (March).

Melinda has agreed to call the line on Sunday, May 18, so I finally get to shoot the match :---

My guess is I will humiliate all comers and add a new top score for the match.  Should be a piece of cake since I will be shooting a borrowed rifle with irons :cool2:

Of course everybody is welcome to come out and give it a go.

RifleBen

Noah and I will be there to put some rounds on target  :cool2:
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."
                                                                             John 15:13

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Noah2A

In the greatest upset in the entire history of marksmanship since April 19th, 1775, I outscored Ben at the match today, and made a very handy improvement over last month's score!  ^:)^

That Patriot's day Appleseed was a great chance to work on my weak points at last month's match and get some handy tips and reminders from SPQR. These field matches are a perfect opportunity to test skills and equipment, and are very easy on time, your wallet, and ammo supply. I love that I can still make it to church before heading off to an afternoon match.

After Ben payed for my ice cream on the way home, we had a friend and his little sister over to shoot, her for the very first time. The evening went awesome, and both of them got a firm grasp on all the basics of 3 position rifle marksmanship and sling use, as well as defensive pistol basics. They were both shooting decent groups at 25 yards in sitting and prone, with good NPOA and position. Definitely future Appleseeders.  :) 

dirtdawg

Great post, Noah. 

I have learned that talking smack actually puts more pressure on the one talking than the one being talked at.  When you run your mouth you had better be ready to back it up. :-X

Well, I was barely able to cash the check that my mouth wrote.  Since Mrs. Dawg graciously consented to calling the line, I was able to deliver the goods when the firing commenced.  She was glad to see me win, but disappointed to see her high score fall in a heap :cool2:  In fact, the second place shooter scored a 368.  I busted out a 400.  Definitely not ready for the National Matches,  but still a decisive household argument settler.

Next match on June 8. :---

NukeThemTillTheyGlow

Hi, I just tried to register for myself and my daughter and see that the June 14-15 event is sold out.  Any wait list?

dirtdawg

Quote from: NukeThemTillTheyGlow on May 26, 2014, 01:59:34 PM
Hi, I just tried to register for myself and my daughter and see that the June 14-15 event is sold out.  Any wait list?

Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle! So it is sold out. Please standby...

slim

Just a friendly bump for this coming weekend's Field Match on the 8th. Word on the street is several of the past match champions will be there so nobody will have to forfeit. It's on like Donkey Kong!!!

Come on out and get some good 200yd hot weather dope on your favorite rifle. I'm gonna run the underfolder AK with iron sights again since it's always fun to work in the hot weather and guess how much to hold under for every 10rds fired. Huzzah! With that little piece of info, it should be easy for y'all to come out and stomp me.  Bring it!  O0

Del

Well since Celina is cancelled, I might as well come down and say hello. See you guys Sunday.

slim

Huzzah! Bring a rifle and 43 rounds... I'd hate to hear yet another person talking about forfeiting.  :pop:

slim

I hope anyone not 'seedin today is reviewing their equipment and doing their dry fire practice.

It's about to get serious!

dirtdawg

I will be calling the line (and not competing), so it is probably safe to come out to CCFSA to throw down at tomorrow's match.

Now, I ain't saying you're chicken, but like Slim mentioned, if you don't show up, we record your score as "forfeit".

Noah2A

Ben and I will both be there tomorrow.  ^:)^     Been practicing dry fire and shooting all week.  :cool2:

slim

Well, we certainly didn't do any "dry" firing today! Rain and rain and more rain falling from the sky. It was like really being in the field. Huzzah!

And every time I shot the water hit my bullets and pushed them down. I shot lower and lower and lower after shooting really well in standing. I banged my head against the wall trying to figure out just what was going on. Is it the rain? Is it the cold water on my barrel? What the heck?

Two weeks ago at Crittenden I'd done the same thing. All my shots (all from prone) were lower than normal. It was 85+ degrees that day. Today was less than 70 and rainy. Lights up, sights up? Cold rain? No beard?

Then it hit me. Something I've diagnosed thousands of times on the line but totally disregarded as a shooter. My cheekweld was inconsistent. In standing I was farther back and in sitting and prone I was inching up toward the sights... pushing my POI down. When I got home I snapped a few quick pics of myself in all three positions. Sure enough, there's daylight between my nose and the dust cover in standing and in prone, about half my nose is gone.

Time to go make a kisser button and practice smooching.

Stuff like this is what makes OTA (Other Than Appleseed) shooting worth it. Well, this and hearing all the forfeit talk.  :pop:

slim

In just a few short hours I'm going to cut some Xs.

Anybody going to be there?

Del

I'll be there. Wanted to bring the garand but I'm struggling to load only two rounds.... so the AR will have to do.

slim

Quote from: Del on August 10, 2014, 11:27:26 AM
I'll be there. Wanted to bring the garand but I'm struggling to load only two rounds.... so the AR will have to do.
Are you criss-crossing them?

Unbridled Liberty

For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Del

jmdavis

Here is a video from Ray Brandes, (retired owner of Ray-Vin enterprises, and designer of High Power gear). At 5:24 on this video he will show the way to load 2 rounds that was taught to Navy Shooters in the 1960 and 70's (who were shooting M1 in and winning National competitions). This is the way that VAShooter taught me to load 2 rounds in an M1 and it removes the worry of the rounds popping out in the criss-cross while loading or handling. It is very simple.

The video also contains single load instruction, safety, how to avoid M1 thumb, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rmtrc4cy-8

One thing I do that Ray doesn't spend time on is ALWAYS use the knife hand to load the M1. Thumb on clip or rounds and ping and edge of hand serving as insurance that the bolt cannot close until I am ready.

Also, you may want to make up some dummy rounds for practice. One method is to drill holes in the brass and use spent primers, no powder and the bullets you plan to use. Another is to make the rounds with spent primers and then mark them with paint. A final way is to glue a shaved down eraser in the primer hole and use either of the above marking or drilling methods. If you practice this you will get good at it. And to be competitive with the M1, you must practice.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Del

Thanks guys, maybe I'm expecting too much. I can get it to load but its not as quick as inserting a full clip. And way more involved than a simple mag insert / bolt release. I'll practice some more. Thanks for the videos.

slim

slim

Del wins!

Edged me out by 9 points. A bee stung me on my trigger hand though....

slim

Quote from: Rayne on August 10, 2014, 10:21:07 PMCharlie don't care about no bee sting~   ;)
Well, I didn't have any sunscreen on either.