News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Introducing a new field match at CCFSA (SW Ohio, Wilmington)

Started by dirtdawg, January 16, 2014, 01:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtdawg

I figure I would post it here first (you know, for the abuse) ;D

Centerfire Field Match

Purpose:
The purpose of this event is to test your field shooting skills.  In addition, this event will be an opportunity to connect with other club members and shooters, and perhaps learn some pointers.   

When:
Sunday, February 9, 2014 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, March 9, 2014 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, April 13, 2014 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, May 18, 2014 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, June 8, 2014 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, July 13, 2014 from 2:00-5:00 PM (tentative)
Sunday, August 10, 2014 from 2:00-5:00 PM
Sunday, September 14, 2014 from 2:00-5:00 PM

Where:
Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen's Association, 301 Batson Road, Wilmington, Ohio 45177.  Meet at the Rifle/Pistol Building for check-in.

Cost:
$15.00  Proceeds will go to the club.

dirtdawg

Functionally similar to a service rifle match, but not restricted to service rifle profile or irons.

I'm really hoping to get some Appleseed vets to come out and dominate.  Good opportunity to seventh step.

slim

For the mission, I will come smoke everyone.  :---

I even have a fancy shirt to wear.  ^:)^

Dougum

Second that. I'll try to make a few this year and see what I can do about placing.
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

dirtdawg

Make sure you bring the ugliest rifle you own along with the cheapest ammo you can find.   >:D

Corvette

Dirtdawg/Slim, I'm in, let's coordinate a weekend and all shoot together. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

dirtdawg

Corvette, I'm the match director, so I'll be there for pretty much all of them.

slim

Quote from: dirtdawg on January 17, 2014, 03:22:24 PMMake sure you bring the ugliest rifle you own along with the cheapest ammo you can find.   >:D

I'm guessing that wasn't a reminder for me....

dirtdawg

More info on the targets-

SR Military "Target, Rifle, Competition, Short Range"
X ring 3.00
10 ring 7.00
9 ring 13.00
8 ring 19.00
7 ring 25.00
6 ring 31.00
5 ring 37.00

SR-42 - Reduction of the SR-3 Target for use at 200 yards to simulate the 300 yard stage of the National Match Course.
X ring 1.90
10 ring 4.56
9 ring 8.56
8 ring 12.56
7 ring 16.56
6 ring 20.56
5 ring 25.56

MR-52 - Reduction of the MR-1 Target for use at 200 yards to simulate the 600 yard stage of the National Match Course.
X ring 1.79
10 ring 3.79
9 ring 5.79
8 ring 7.79
7 ring 11.79
6 ring 15.79
5 ring 19.79

I looked up some of the previous scores for the match that this one replaces (Billed as "Highpower").  I saw some pretty good scores- 180's and 190's for stage 4.  I got a little worried because that sounded like they were basically a bunch of 2MOA shooters.  Then I found out they were using the same SR target for all stages (and not even doing transitions).

I'm definitely getting some pushback and complaints from folks about a sighting in period and fear of transitions.  I secretly want to tell them that I will be glad to bring a coloring book, if needed.  Then again, I need shooters to show up.

Is my Course of Fire too hard?  It seems to me, the real shooters ought to be able to perform.  Probably not going to see the same kinds of scores as the other "match", though.

slim

Quote from: dirtdawg on January 20, 2014, 05:30:45 PMIs my Course of Fire too hard?  It seems to me, the real shooters ought to be able to perform.  Probably not going to see the same kinds of scores as the other "match", though.
I think I'll be able to score pretty well AND get a good nap in. (I'm not much on coloring.)

WY_Not

Pushback for a sighting in period? It is a field rifle. It should already be sighted in.   :slap:  Did the redcoats give the colonials time for a sighting in period? Do deer in the field stand there and give the hunters a sighting in period?

As for the issue with transitions? Are they complaining about doing them? About doing them unloaded? Not even sure what to make of that. That is like going to an IDPA match and complaining about the use of doors, windows, and walls to create the various "scenarios". It is simply part of that style of match.
Joseph
aka WY_Not (IIT3)

GoldFish

Quote from: Rayne on January 22, 2014, 12:36:34 AM
Going to have to figure out how far Wilmington, OH is from me.  Sounds like this could be interesting and a good 7th stepping opportunity.

Hopefully not too far. ::)
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

AAOptics

Quote from: Rayne on January 22, 2014, 12:36:34 AM
Going to have to figure out how far Wilmington, OH is from me.  Sounds like this could be interesting and a good 7th stepping opportunity.

Its about 1.5 hours east of me. 

Stop by, and we will car pool if we can figure a date that works.

Corvette

Rayne/42769Vette

Let me know which event at Wilmington you pick. I will make sure to join you guys there.  They have a great camping area there and I would love to see you guys again. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

jmdavis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

slim

Quote from: Rayne on January 23, 2014, 12:32:23 AM
Looking forward to hearing how the first couple matches go. 

"Slim wins.

Slim wins again.

Slim wins once more."

Duh!

George63

Quote from: slim on January 23, 2014, 12:34:48 AM

"Slim wins.

Slim wins again.

Slim wins once more."

Duh!

a little far, or I could come out with a bolt gun and work on changing that

RiflesnReins

Quote from: George63 on January 23, 2014, 11:52:05 AM

"Slim wins.

Slim wins again.

Slim wins once more."

Duh!

a little far, or I could come out with a bolt gun and work on changing that

George63 vs Slim. The outcome? EPIC. Of course I'd be rooting for George 63......
:pop:
RnR
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

slim

Dougum

Anyone down for this weekend? Don't know if I'll make it (probably not) but may be only weekend open for a few months so....?

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

Corvette

dirtdawg

Nice. You guys are awesome.  I'm going to try to dig up a burn barrel for some warmth. Warning-there is a bunch of snow!

We are having these every month.

dirtdawg

"Slim wins.

Slim wins again.

Slim wins once more."

Duh!

Not this time.

Our first match went well, despite the cold and the ice-crusted snow. Shooting in these conditions revealed some equipment issues- cold, ice,  and snow really bring out the gremlins. Optics and magazines were the source of particular vexation for a couple.

As expected, the line was dominated by ARs (m4 profiles) with various optics. Also represented was an A2 DCM-type service rifle and an AK underfolder 7.62x39, both with iron sights.

I saw some great stages from some,  but consistency and fundamentals won he day. Mrs. Dawg took this match with a 364 (3x) and is happily rubbing it in everyone's face all over Facebook. As happy as I am for her,  I may have to shoot in the next match just to remind her that just because I didn't shoot this time doesn't mean I don't know how to shoot :D

Despite losing to a chick, everyone said they enjoyed it and would come back to compete in as many as their schedules allow.

WY_Not

There is a reason the hats say "Shoot like a girl... if you can."
Joseph
aka WY_Not (IIT3)

dirtdawg

Match 2 is one week out - March 9. It will be a good opportunity for a gear and nut-behind-the-butt check.

Shooters! Your preparation period begins now!

slim

Dougum

Quote from: slim on March 03, 2014, 11:25:15 AM
No girls allowed.

Someone feel threatened...? You know that we always say that the women shoot better...

-- Robert A. Heinlein

-- George Washington

Mudcat

On a Sunday, I could maybe make this. How far away is Wilmington from Evansville. Can I get there from here?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

dirtdawg

It is a long way away...but we would be glad to have you.

Mudcat

4 hours 10 minutes away. I would like to but don't hold your breath as much as I would like to get out and do some shooting with some Appleseed friends it may be a little far for a 1 day trip. Who knows though depends what is going on.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington