News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manchester, TN ARNOLD AIR FORCE BASE

Started by Old Glory!, September 21, 2008, 09:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

HAVE WE GOT SOME STORIES TO TELL HERE, BUT FOR NOW WE'LL JUST POST SOME PICTURES.   OFF TO AS, DAY TWO.

REPORT TO FOLLOW!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Oleg Volk

I wasn't able to stay long but did get a few photos.

More as I get them edited.

High-res versions

SavageShootr

nice pics

Thanks for sharing them

nice hat Colycat!!  ;D

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Fred

Yes, Oleg, good that you caught colycat au natural with his brand-new Green Hat! ;D

PS: Nice pics - thanks for stopping by and taking them. Say, did anyone offer you a rifle, and ask you to stay until you shot Rifleman?

(;D)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

colycat

Just got back behind the cheddar curtain.

Wow!  What a great weekend.  It was so great to be on an Air Force Base doing the Appleseed.  Military men and women everywhere, training in riflemanship for deployment in Irag.  So polite, so respectful, so helpful.  We are all in very good hands with these guys.

First off, I would like to thank Claude and Bobbie for getting this shoot set up on the base and for providing drinks, tables, and much more including photocopying and air force base souvenirs.  Thank you both very much, you brought a lot to this seed!

I was assisted by four Riflemen, IIT's.  Posterity, Scout34, Tazdevil, and Big pappa.  These guys were all really good.  The future of AS instruction is very solid in this part of the South.

We had nice weather and 28 shooters on Saturday.  As usual,  we had the top ten Percent of Americans show up.  Got in the COF by 5:30 , along with 1st and 2nd strike, but about 6 or 7 determined shooters shot until almost dark.  One rifleman made on day one, with a few knocking on the door.  Great shooting Scout34!! ;) OK, so he was a ringer, being a rifle instructor for the Army,  but it was his first AS.  Got the coveted patch and an orange hat. Welcome aboard.

Most inspiring were 2 senior, sweet ladies, Loyce and Sharon.  Loyce shows up and said to me in that beautiful Tennessee draw, "I have 6 rifles with me,  but have not shot them much. They were my husband's, who passed away 2 years ago,  and he always loaded them for me."  She and Sharon had trouble gettting into prone, so shot all day from sitting.  I really didn't think they would make it to 2 PM.  Could not believe my eyes, when they showed up on Sunday (with Chocolate!) :o ;D ;D  They ended the weekend, thankful to Appleseed, shooting good groups, and both shot TAZ's AR15.  Folks,  these two ladies are the stuff Americans are really made of. They would have been awsome in 1775.  We would be telling stories about them today. Well, I guess I am. ;D 

And I have to mention Yvette, young mother of 6.  Saturday was her day to shoot with hubby Joe doing the household.  The deal was, Joe would shoot on Sunday.  She ended up shooting a 206 on Saturday dusk.  We all said "you have to come back tomorrow or Fred won't pay for our motel tonight."  At about 10 a.m. on Sunday, we see "The Vette" running accross the green in a dress, with clothes under her arm.  "Guess we know who won the argument" we all say.  Actually, they both came with the family.  Since RWVA admin NEVER quits, Old Glory was found a short time later, on a chase lounge in the shade with a 6 mos. old, sleeping on her chest, while the other kids fashioned a teeter toter out of some beams that were stacked up.  RWVA engineers of the future.  Adapt and improvise.   After the Parker Run and Gun, The Vette shot 216.  (Her son, Gabe, who was listening to the story, ran to the van, got his pop gun, and let's just say his heart was in the story)

Lance was encouraged by friends to attend AS, and drank from the fire hose all day Saturday, persevered and shot rifleman on Sunday.  Great news!  He also wants to wear an orange hat!

Thanks to all the parents who brought their kids out to learn what it takes to be a rifleman.

Thank you Tennessee, for your warm welcome and warm hearts.

cc

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Big Papa

Great Appleseed! (As always)
This was my first IIT shoot. Colycat, Old Glory, Posterity,and Taz made it a good experience for me. The shooters made it a wonderful experience. Claude and Bobbie are true believers in Appleseed and it shows. Scout34 hit the ground running. He will be a huge asset to Appleseed. He made the M1A talk!
Dave and Mark improved all day Sunday and only lacked 2 shoots each clearing the redcoats Sunday p.m.
Lance, you are the third rifleman to make their score on that rifle. It was an honor to have you use it!
There were several families of shooters. It makes you feel good about America. Joe, Yvette and the kids were a real inspiration to all.
Loyce and Sharon are truely wonderful ladies and good shots to boot! Never underestimate the power of chocolate! :)
It just always amazes me that within just a few minutes of the beginning of an Appleseed, everyone starts acting like lifelong friends. Maybe they are now.
Patch or no patch, you still have to cook! - Big Mama

Old Glory!

OLEG,  The quality, composure and capture of your photos is marvelous.  Slings should have been used better, but that's not your fault.  ;D 

We arrived at Arnold Air Force Base Rifle Range on Friday to find a brand new gravel shooting line with 24 new plywood backers; all at guess what? 25 meters!  Not a piece of brass strewn on it yet.  So new, they were pounding in short wooden spikes and stringing (military) hot pink string to mark the line.  With true southern hospitality an offer came  from the US military that we could use it if we want.  Let's think about this......for a split second......YES!!!  Something like 22 pre-regs, and we could accommodate A LOT of walk-ons!   Scout range: Complete

"The box" arrived at 5:30 p.m. Fri. and Claude delivered it to the hotel.  It was just like Christmas!  Thanks Fred.   Acquire supplies:  Complete

Met with IIT's on Fri evening.  Have to say, Appleseeders are some of the finest people I have ever met.   Meet with instructors:  Complete

Sat a.m.  A tiny bit of rain/sprinkle; hardly enough to wet the ground, overcast, high 80's.  OKAY, Tennessee folks are some of the MOST POLITE, KIND PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MET!!!  Yes, ma'am!  I really like being called "Miss Laurie" by the young'ns!
Welcome to the Appleseed Project!  TURN ON THE FIRE HOSE! 
Sat COF:  Complete
Sat eve Camaraderie: Complete
Sun a.m.  Get the old body out of bed and to the range:  Complete
Full day in the hot sun.
Another EXCELLENT AS:  Complete

I really enjoyed meeting ya'll.  Each new AS is a chance to learn more and meet more great people.  AAwww, do we HAVE to go back to Wisc? :'(

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

scout34

Had a great time att my 1st AS!  Colycat and Old Glory won't talk about themselves much here, but I want them to know that due to their knowledge, patience, and an obvious passion for the subject they have cemented my future participation in AS. 

Taz and Big Papa, I want you guys to come up here to Knox and teach on my team.  If all my instructors had your willingness to take the time and do whatever it takes to help someone improve, my job would be much easier.

Claude and the Tenn National Guard have got a great partnership in a first class facility going on there at Arnold AFB.  Thanks for making it all work!

Posterity, I'm looking forward to years of colaboration on future shoots.  You are the first person that I met in conjunction with AS and I appreciate your tutelage and willingness to work with a newbie.

Finally I would like to thank Fred for setting up a program that is uniquely American and badley needed.  I am a rifleman and a Texan and I got here as quick as I could.  Now that I'm here I realize I should have been here long ago.  With people like this working as hard as they do, I have faith that the hard work and sacrifice of the Founders will not have been in vain.

firebear

I heard about appleseed about a week ago and had no plans to attend the AAB shoot untill the night before.  I drove down from nashville saturday morning with a couple rifles in the trunk not knowing what to expect, and as it turns out I was "that guy"  you know- the one without a sling , a finicky rifle ammo combination , and not quite enough water - basically not properly prepared.  I was overwhelmed by the kindness of instructors and participants.  Thanks Big Papa for the use of your rifle, mags , and ammo(and infinite patience).  Thank you scout34 for the gatorade,  Taz thanks for the toxic chemical soda. Yvette thanks for  teaching me to use the sling better.  - good people
   my mama told me that pride was a deadly sin.  Well driving home on sunday with a respectable score I was just chock full o sin let me tell ya , and it felt gooood.
                              ~L
Calera, AL 1/15

colycat

Lance, good to have you on board.  By the way its not a sin if you wear a Orange Hat.  PM your state coordinator and Nickle that you are ready to step up

Pleasure to have you at Manchester. ;D

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Old Glory!

Quote from: firebear on September 23, 2008, 04:32:33 PM

my mama told me that pride was a deadly sin.  Well driving home on sunday with a respectable score I was just chock full o sin let me tell ya , and it felt gooood.
                              ~L
Mercy!  Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.  7th Step 4U! 

In my opinion, one great thing about the Appleseed Project is that we are all thankful, and swell with pride, when another person is deemed worthy of the honor of the title Rifleman. 

Congratulations!  You worked really hard for it.  Keep up the good work.

Scout

Quote from: firebear on September 23, 2008, 04:32:33 PM

I heard about appleseed about a week ago and had no plans to attend the AAB shoot untill the night before.  I drove down from nashville saturday morning with a couple rifles in the trunk not knowing what to expect, and as it turns out I was "that guy"  you know- the one without a sling , a finicky rifle ammo combination , and not quite enough water - basically not properly prepared.  I was overwhelmed by the kindness of instructors and participants.  Thanks Big Papa for the use of your rifle, mags , and ammo(and infinite patience).  Thank you scout34 for the gatorade,  Taz thanks for the toxic chemical soda. Yvette thanks for  teaching me to use the sling better.  - good people
                              ~L

FireBear, Welcome aboard! I have said it a thousand times before and I wil say it a thousand more times this week. Appleseed Folks are the absolute best folks on the face of the planet!!! If you are like me, your only regret after attending one, is why couldn't you have found out about it sooner so you could already be helping to change our country, and most importantly in my mind at the time-Why couldn't I have found these guys sooner so I could have been using these guys as my best friends instead of the crappy friends I had been stuck with ;D ;D ;D ;D

You had a good group to learn from Bear. I have not met Coly yet, but I have been hearing nothing but good about him from people who have attended his events and about the guys and gals assisting. Great job Coly and Glory and all the rest!  I have mentioned before that when I start feeling like I am abaout to crack, I go to the AAR page and start reading and my heart just fillls with happiness.

One shoot, and one shooter at a time, we are guiding America and Americans back to her track, and to the people we once were. Kind, giving, caring, and courageous. Proud of their country, wise and stubborn, never saying die, never saying I surrender, unwilling to accept defeat and instead continually persisting, refusing to go down and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. 

People might think my words or way of speaking seem dramatic, and maybe they are, but I love this group of men, our "Band of Brothers" and I love our country, and when you come to Davilla, you will see I talk the same way to your face here, as I do online.

"May God watch over and Bless us and guide or hand in this, for our cause is just"

Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

colycat

Quote from: Scout on September 24, 2008, 09:44:54 AM

People might think my words or way of speaking seem dramatic, and maybe they are, but I love this group of men, our "Band of Brothers" and I love our country, and when you come to Davilla, you will see I talk the same way to your face here, as I do online.

"May God watch over and Bless us and guide or hand in this, for our cause is just"

Scout

Amen, Scout.

lesjones

I enjoyed Manchester immensely and learned more than I could have imagined. I look forward to another Appleseed next year.

Congrats to Sean, Yvette, and Lance.

Old Glory!

Les,  Glad you could make it.  ;D    Were you the generous gentleman who loaned a nice shooting mat to Sharon?  If so, Claude is holding it for you. 

lesjones

That's me. I was about halfway home when I realized the car was a little light. ;-) Maybe I can get it back at another Appleseed. If not, nor worries. Let folks use it who don't have a mat to shoot on.

colycat

Hey, Bear,

Do not be a stranger on this forum.  Keep posting and staying in the program, OK

Colycat

kb4jhu

Appleseed team,

A big thank you to all who setup the event. I had a great time shooting at the range.  John and I both were shooting the SKS rifles at the Appleseed both Saturday and Sunday.  Learned a lot and look forward to doing another Appleseed in the future.  Maybe next time using a 10/22 hi..

A big thank you to the instructors Colycat, Old Glory, Posterity, Taz, Scout34, Big Papa (seem like I am missing one!)

Thanks to Claude and Bobbie for doing all the local coordinating and drink supplies.

I am always impressed with the base hostility.  I move here 5 years ago and the base just has a ton of first class events.  It keeps getting better. 

The Appleseed event taught me good shooting habits.  All the years, I never had a rifle shooting course.  This was outstanding event!  I can now get grouping and have learned good shooting techniques.  I will definitely talk up the next one we host!

Colycat and Old Glory-- thank you for driving all the way down to Arnold!

Now I am registered on the site, let me know if we can help out more with base use of the range.  Claude is the PA POC and I work just upstairs in Communications.  One of the two of us should be able to get something arranged on base. 

V/R

-Michael
Michael - KB4JHU
Amateur Radio Extra Class

firebear

will do colycat,   rebuilding my personal life currently.  I'll be all over it with an enthusiasm when the dust settles.  Thank you for the encouragement!  ;)
                      ~L
Calera, AL 1/15

Garand69

Awesome AAR! The family aspect of Appleseed keeps popping up in the AAR's Keep up the awesome work!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz