News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kentuckians, your help is needed in contacting the governor..

Started by Unbridled Liberty, January 05, 2014, 01:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbridled Liberty

Kentuckians, I have sent a request to Governor Beshear asking him to proclaim April 2014 as Patriot History and Heritage Recognition Month in Kentucky.

I need your help in persuading Governor Beshear that he should issue this proclamation.  Here is what you can do; contact him via the medium of your choice.

Write a letter
Governor Steve Beshear
700 Capitol Avenue, Suite 100
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601

or call his office at 502-564-2611

or fill out the web form at this page:
http://governor.ky.gov/Pages/contact.aspx

Please convey this information: Please grant the recent request of the Revolutionary War Veterans Association to proclaim April 2014 as Patriot History and Heritage Recognition Month in Kentucky.  And then explain in one brief sentence, in your words, explain why you think this is important.

And for your own information as to how the request reads:

Purpose of Proclamation
That Kentuckians may be encouraged to learn of the courage and sacrifices of the founding generation, and of the rich heritage of liberty handed down to us from Kentuckians of old.

Draft Language of Proclamation
WHEREAS, the events of April 19, 1775 brought forth our nation; and
WHEREAS, many Americans today are sadly unaware of the sacrifices and courage of the Patriots of Lexington, Massachusetts and surrounding towns as they stood together against the Tyrants; and
WHEREAS, those Patriots of old prevented the seizure of their firearms and provisions; and
WHEREAS, the Kentucky city of Lexington was named in honor of those Patriots who stood for liberty in Lexington Massachusetts; and
WHEREAS, battles of the Revolutionary War were fought on Kentucky soil; and
WHEREAS, Kentuckians fought and gave their lives in our nations bloody struggles to secure our freedom and liberty; and
WHEREAS, today's Kentucky citizens would benefit from learning of and honoring the sacrifices of those patriots of old.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, STEVE BESHEAR, Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, do hereby recognize April, 2014 as
PATRIOT HISTORY AND HERITAGE RECOGNITION MONTH
throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and urge all citizens to recognize this observance.

In testimony whereof, I have caused
the Great Seal of the Commonwealth to be
hereunto affixed GIVEN under my
hand at Frankfort this __________
day of _______ Two-Thousand Fourteen

Steve Beshear,
Governor

Additional Comments:
The Revolutionary War Veterans Association is a 501(c)3 non-profit incorporated in Morehead, KY and is dedicated to honoring the founding generation and educating today's American citizens of the courage and sacrifices of those patriots.

I have been told that when you contact the Kentucky governors office, they multiply your single voice of support (or opposition) on a certain issue by 14,000 to get a feel for the actual support statewide.  Does that number seem familiar?

What difference can one person make?  More than none.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

brdholman

hinklej

Unbridled Liberty

I received this response today:

QuoteDear Mr. Fitz-Gerald, thank you for contacting Gov. Beshear with your request for a proclamation. Although we appreciate your efforts to further Kentuckians' education about events surrounding the Revolutionary War, the Governor has a full slate of proclamations lined up for this spring, so we are going to pass on the opportunity at this time.

Thank you again for your work to raise awareness of our nation's heritage.

Susan M. Dixen
Director of Constituent Correspondence
Office of Governor Steven L. Beshear
700 Capitol Avenue
Frankfort, KY  40601
www.governor.ky.gov

I have not given up.  I plan to get in an early submission for April 2015.  And out of curiosity I have requested a list of all the April 2014 proclamations.  Thanks to everybody who contacted the governor.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms