News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Indianapolis, IN October 5th, 2013 one-day shoot

Started by spitfire51, October 07, 2013, 11:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitfire51

Saturday morning dawned warm and muggy with a promise of "scattered showers" later on in the afternoon.  That did not stop us from gathering at Marion County Fish and Game for a fun-filled day of marksmanship and learning about our heritage.  Normally shoots at this range take place in two 25-yard long bays, but unforeseen circumstances forced us to move over to the main part of the range, in an area populated by remnants of clay pigeons.  We quickly discovered that crunching pieces of clay pigeons underneath your boots is the rifleman's equivalent of popping bubble-wrap.

As the day progressed and our students learned the importance of following all six steps of firing the shot, we were suddenly greeted by a torrential downpour of fairly epic proportions.  Our students stuck with it through carding the sights, then we took a break for lunch in the nice warm clubhouse.  After we wrung ourselves out the best we could while listening to a moving tale of the first strike of the match, we got back into learning all the different shooting positions which culminated in an AQT.  I'm pleased to say that on the final redcoat of the day, the scores on every single distance at least doubled!  Awesome improvement for one day.  I had to laugh a little when a young lady who had never really shot a rifle before Saturday responded to her second redcoat with a shout of "booyah!"  I'd also like to congratulate our newest Rifleman Jeff, who got a 221 on his first AQT.  We also had multiple 'seed attendee TJ take an orange hat and join the instructor ranks!  Huzzah!

Thank you to everyone who attended this weekend.  The rain made for an interesting time but it didn't convince anyone to pack it up for the day.  Thank you to all of my fellow instructors for helping me put on a great shoot.  I hope to see everyone join us again at another event soon.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

grunt soldier

It was a awesome time.  I loved seeing everyone in the pouring rain just focusing on the fundamentals.  So deep in the riflemans bubble that they almost didn't notice the monsoon!  that was some serious serious rain.  when I left and went to work I was wet for the entire rest of the day.  epic fail on my part for not preparing and bringing extra clothes lol.   

A few highlights for me were.  the amusement of the "grown ups"  when stagehand gave the speech to our young shooter about keeping his booger hook off the bang stick!  Next great one was after giving the first strike and lunch time. the young lady stood up and there was a massive puddle in her chair.  We ate lunch inside so this should tell you how wet we were lol.  And last but not least was when "we explained to the young man aka Rifle team"  to be a line backer not a ballerina lol.  it was quite amusing. 

Thank you everyone for sticking out the day in the pouring rain.  That took a lot of perseverance and you made our founding fathers proud!
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

TJ Kackowski

My Frogg Toggs worked great (as expected) until I got into the prone position for the carded sight exercise.  I didn't notice until then that I had set up the shooting mat over a depression in the ground ... the puddle I settled into made for a rude and cold moment.  After the initial shock, I remembered what was always said around the club house during Thursday night trap at MCF&G ... SHOOT OR GO HOME ... since I couldn't get any wetter, it was time to settle in and shoot.

My highlight of the day was when my daughter joined us on the line.  She had just finished up her SAT's and came out to relax by sending some lead down range.  I'll never tire of shooting next to my kids.

philagothon

It was an awesome day.  The slight drizzle could not drown the American Spirit.  Y'all stuck it out and I am proud of each and every one of you.  For those hungering for more AQTs, we've still got plenty of events to go this year.  Keep practicing the fundamentals and join on us on the line again as soon as you can.  Bring friends so they can hear the story too!

Congrats to Jeff on making Rifleman on your first AQT.  That was a beautiful old Remington bolty.  I hope to see you on the line again soon; hopefully you can bring some co-workers with you next time.

TJ, welcome aboard; NOW GET TO WORK!  ~~:) ~~:) ~~:)

TJ Kackowski

spitfire51

I only managed to get a couple pictures, but I know some others will be posted soon...right?

Obviously the rain hadn't started yet when grunt soldier and philagothon demonstrated the proper use of the always-useful web sling

Those who rush through their AQT stage 4 have plenty of time to observe those who are more patient.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

slim

I've been to a few Appleseeds over the years and this was, by far, the hardest rain I'd ever worked in. My hat is also off to the fine Americans who stuck it out with nary a peep of "it's cold" or "I'm not doing that in the rain." Our founders would've been proud.

Not a Summertime Soldier or Sunshine Patriot amongst this group... just men (and women!) who knew very well what they were about. Huzzah!

Quote from: TJ Kackowski on October 07, 2013, 04:59:30 PMMy highlight of the day was when my daughter joined us on the line.  She had just finished up her SAT's and came out to relax by sending some lead down range.  I'll never tire of shooting next to my kids.
Why we do what we do.

stagehand steve

It was a great day to spend with all the shooters.  Everyone was great about persevering through the rain.  I hope you all come back for a full weekend Appleseed to crank out some more AQTs and Rifleman.

The day started out beautifully (after the rain on the drive in!)

After some initial instruction, we were seeing some great shooting forms (although I think Jeff may have done this once or twice before)

You have to love the bathroom decorations at MCFG.  Glock die cuts!!

Nothing like a nice full line going at it!

Jeff gets his Rifleman patch on the first try!!  One of IMPD's finest!!

With young men like this, our future looks bright:

TJ stepping up:

He looks great in his shiny new orange hat!  Time to get it dirty on the line.   O0

See you all next time!!

== stagehand steve ==
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

TJ Kackowski

Quote from: stagehand steve on October 10, 2013, 03:08:23 PM

TJ stepping up:

He looks great in his shiny new orange hat!  Time to get it dirty on the line.

== stagehand steve ==

Not only do I want to get that hat dirty, but I want to ventilate it as soon as possible ... first things first, I'm wading through the years and years of knowledge on the TIPS page.

WOW!  There is more to this Appleseed thing than meets the eye.