News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

October 19-20, 2013 Camp Atterbury, IN Instructor Weekend

Started by AuntieBellum, September 22, 2013, 10:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

ALL instructors are invited.  It should be a fun, and, most importantly, educational event.

Please sign up via Eventbrite, NOT via instructor scheduling (unless you have specifically been tasked with admin/CoF duties).  We will need an accurate count for targets and planning and having everyone on the check-in sheet will expedite check-in for Camp Atterbury.

Is it CRITICAL that you follow all instructions on the info link.  That is, the link I will provide goes to the EIP.  Click on the info link on the EIP and follow the instructions.  When you email your contact and rifle info, please include your screen name.  Then sign up via Eventbrite.

Please note the $10/day range fee applies to all.  Including Friday if you come in that evening.  Camping right on the range is available, too.  I plan to camp and drift to sleep by the sound of machine guns quietly pew-pew-pew-ing in the distance.

Looking forward to seeing you then!

P.S. Link to follow.  I sent scuzzy a boat-load of work this evening.   >:D

LINK: https://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=250&showall=yes
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Unbridled Liberty

Please tell us more about this.  What are your objectives for this shoot?

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

AuntieBellum

We're focusing on how to teach kd. Answering questions, discussing the logistics, and de-mystifying the process by giving everyone a couple/few tries to quality at kd.   ^:)^
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

slim

I'm also doing my best to get ol' SPQR to get an IIT Primer going for the weekend. That's kind of like a quick and dirty Instructor Boot Camp where you'll learn the ins and outs of being an Instructor. I recommend anyone who's still relatively new to the Instructor Cadre or has never been to an IBC be there for this IIT Primer. It'll get you a great jump start on your Instructor Journey.

It would also be good for seasoned volunteers like me to be there so we can learn to be better Instructor trainers.

...and Mudcat will be there. This is like a win, win, win.

SPQR

UL - The Saturday CoF will be one of mine designed specifically for instructors.  Nice and slow Saturday, AQT grind on Sunday.  Expect comeups going back and an AQT coming forward before lunch, switch out for the second half.  Pit crew will run pit crew CoF on Sat during comeups.  I am writing a new little primer for that which heeter will probably run sat morning and S2S will run Sat afternoon.

Slim wants a primer to happen so that might be everyone on Sunday morning.  When you shave it down to bare bones nuts and bolts its about 45 minutes.  That is still up for grabs, though.

If things go the way they did in February I think everyone ought to be able to get at least 4 or 5 AQTs in, maybe more.  Brown may have some announcements about that soon.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Unbridled Liberty

Good to hear you will be giving opportunity to collect DOPE.  Many of us who live in the central Kentucky horse farm area have no place to shoot, and therefore we may need an opportunity to confirm/get a zero before anything else.  I missed that opportunity at the June shoot on Sunday.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

slim

If you can't get good dope, "just give 'er two clicks and fire for effect."

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: slim on September 30, 2013, 11:33:03 PM
If you can't get good dope, "just give 'er two clicks and fire for effect."

That's exactly what I did at the June shoot.  And it was "good enough" for the D targets, but I missed the balloons.  I want to learn more and do better this time.  And hit the balloons.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

SPQR

I hadn't planned on doing the balloon drill.  I guess I will have to give that extra consideration.

At my last shoot I did a little exercise to show the IITs how shooters perceived time versus how it actually is.  I gave them 80 seconds to put two rounds in each square of a five square.  I explained the time needed to take the shots, time needed to shift and time needed to verify.  I told them it really only took about 60 seconds but I was nice and gave them 80.  The last guy was safing his rifle at 60 seconds.  No one completed the drill.  If folks would just jog in a controlled manner, get down in a deliberate fashion, and take 3 good shots, it would be different.  Instead everyone sprints, flops down, and wastes three shots.  Spitfire popped all 3 in August and he sent #3 downrage at 56 seconds.  spitfire is a Rifleman.  Spitfire ventilated his targets.  No one else got more than one. 
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: SPQR on September 30, 2013, 11:49:52 PM
I hadn't planned on doing the balloon drill.  I guess I will have to give that extra consideration.

At my last shoot I did a little exercise to show the IITs how shooters perceived time versus how it actually is.  I gave them 80 seconds to put two rounds in each square of a five square.  I explained the time needed to take the shots, time needed to shift and time needed to verify.  I told them it really only took about 60 seconds but I was nice and gave them 80.  The last guy was safing his rifle at 60 seconds.  No one completed the drill.  If folks would just jog in a controlled manner, get down in a deliberate fashion, and take 3 good shots, it would be different.  Instead everyone sprints, flops down, and wastes three shots.  Spitfire popped all 3 in August and he sent #3 downrage at 56 seconds.  spitfire is a Rifleman.  Spitfire ventilated his targets.  No one else got more than one.

I still say I missed due to lack of a good zero.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Since June, my neighbors have been wondering why I occasionally burst out my front door, sprint across the road, bike trail and greenway, leap across the train tracks, flop on my belly, grab a stick and say PEW...PEW...PEW, and then look at my watch.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

SPQR

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Uncle Davey

What is the deadline to sign up and get info to Atterbury?
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Brown

WPA (wolf Ammo) is donating 160rds of .223 ammo to every instructor for this event. all of it will be 55gr FMJ.

If you want to shoot more than that please bring extra ammo but 160 rds should be enough for come-ups to 500 yds and 3 AQT's

This should more than compensate for the $10 per day range fee so get on there and sign up!!
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

yellowhousejake

Last call for rifle and attendee information. I close the list at midnight tonight. If you have not followed the instructions here,

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=35705.0

You have about three hours or so to get it done.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

As we prep for the KD Day at Atterbury I want to throw a couple thoughts at you.  Any shoot at Atterbury is only as fast as its slowest shooter.  This is a reality in many shoot locations but can sometimes be gotten around.  At Atterbury it is the absolute rule.  Because the range is a stationary target line it is the firing line that must move.  We certainly cannot begin strings from 300 with someone still picking up gear at 200 and we won't be setting up at 300 with someone lagging behind at 400, alone, with a gun in their hands.  It's all of us or none of us.  I see a lot of people talk about shooting KD on the forum, and often I see people comment on how few opportunities you get for AQTs.  Often 2 or 3 is listed as common, sometimes its 1.  At our instructor KD Day in February we shot 7 AQTs and we took two hours off to have everyone take the RSO test.  This weekend we will have to be off the line by 1500 due to the government shutdown.  There will only be one poop coffin on the line (shutdown) and it will not have been serviced (though Range Control did a recon for me and said they think it will last us) but I am taking a bottle of bleach and will clean it and stock it with TP on Friday.  Due to the time constraint we may not get 7 AQTs in, but we will do everything to try.  I am certain that every person will get comeups and at least 3 AQTs, but I really think we can get 5 in.  Folks will have to move with some urgency, though.  We need to be in the parking lot at Range 5, gear shouldered, rifle in hand, and walking to the 100 yard line at 0730.  It'll be awesome.  A fresh broken dawn.  A brisk, damp chill invigorating your soul.  The outline of your good buddy tromping through tall grass in front of you and the excitement of the day to come.

Two kinds of preparation will help you move faster and be able to have a more relaxed, fun experience.  The first kind of prep is psychological.  Relax, take it easy.  It isn't all about your shooting.  Whether you shoot KD all the time or never have before, the important thing is that we are all together, as an instructing family, doing a little shootilating and having fun.  Also, own your own skill level.  If you are struggling to keep your Mosin or Garand inside of 6 or 8 moa you won't mystically, suddenly start shooting 2 moa on Saturday morning just like you won't come out of the stands, cold, and take a Major League pitcher deep to center your first time up.  You will perform exactly to the level of skill created by your practicing and preparation.  If you have been practicing against Major Leaguers, early and often, and you have developed a really high skill level, you may come out of the stands and stick him.  That is because of the skill level you have developed, though, and shooting is the same way.  Its perishable, humbling, and uncommonly thrilling.  Don't try to compare yourself to the guy next to you, or a score you shot five years ago.  Compare yourself to you as you are now.  Focus on you.  Be slick.  Be smooth.  Be teachable.  Be a Rifleman.

Also, be ready psychologically for weather.  It's probably going to be cold.  Since its Indiana, it will probably be wet.  We are going to be cold and wet.  Be okay with that.  Be okay with it now.  Call the guy you are coming with and say, "We're going to be cold and wet," and then hang up the phone.  Accept the reality.  If you are Appleseeding you are probably okay with it already.

The second kind of prep is gear prep.  Don't bring more to the line than you absolutely need.  You need your rifle, ammo, water, chow, rain gear, a rag, the bare essential servicing tools, a writing utensil, notepad, eyes and ears, and the heart of a Rifleman.  Other stuff will slow you down, and limit our AQT opportunities.  You just don't need it.  Small binocs will help you see sighters at distance, but a spotting scope is more than you need, not helpful as you will not be calling trails, and will slow you down.  A mat may keep you dry for a couple strings if its wet, but will slow you down, be another thing to carry, will eventually get wet and then soak you anyway, and slow you down and be another thing to carry.  A good jacket will keep you comfortable, carry easier, and can be very stylish if paired with the right accessories.         

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

yellowhousejake

The instructor event at Camp Atterbury for Oct 19-20 has been cancelled due to the government shutdown. Please watch the forum for the next date to become available.

Thanks,

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ