News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

3 Day Full Distance Camp (FDC) NRA Whittington Center Raton, NM Sept. 13-15

Started by TaosGlock, September 18, 2013, 01:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

Just drying out but want to get up a first post. This has been one of the most awesome events to date we have done.

This month marks the 6th year anniversary of the NM Project Appleseed in NM. For BlueFeather and I, this month marks the 6th year on the trail, from TX to AZ to CO and here! It has been an honor to serve.

19 shooters arrived on time and we finished in a deluge of rain. These same storms dumped moisture in a line from Cheyenne to El Paso.
One of our Colorado instructors did not make it due to washed out roads. Lady luck was with us for the most part as we were able to squeeze instructional blocks between the massive downpours this range received. It was a test of man and nature and this group of Riflemen hung tough and overcome all the conditions mother nature threw at us. Cold rainy and muddy conditions prevailed most of the 3 days.

Get those FD backers up before the shooters arrive and before the range washes away!:

Low clouds made flat light/low contrast during the target detection exercise.

Instruction on the line:

Mud on the green...

And the firing line...

The Bogs of Whittington from the 400 yard line:

...more later....

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

BlueFeather

The FLOOD-SEED!!!

Seriously, we had students from CA, OK, IA and VA!  So one student drove 33 hours to take this class. We HAD to put it on, regardless of the weather. Officials are saying this is a 1000 year flood for the area! 

Warm-hearted and tenacious students made our weekend worthwhile!  We told several different history pieces, and one of our guests, Pennys Dad on the forum, told us about the significance of Cowpens. Thanks so much Jacob!

All the students worked hard and learned a lot, and will take home this information to share with others. 

We have our dates for next year confirmed and we plan on another three day Advanced Full Distance Camp on Sept 12-14, 2014.  So make your plans now. We will definitely limit the class size to about 15 max.

Thanks everyone for coming... including our two new IITS Cowboy Harper and Cowgirl Harper!  ..:..
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

TaosGlock

A river runs thru it...part of the time anyway.

Shooters shot 100, 200 and 300 yard stages on the 4 MOA squares at the same time for efficiency.
Here they check the value of their come ups/come downs at those yardages while attempting to stay within the Rifleman's standard of 4MOA.
Yes the conditions were a challenge but no one gave up. We are Riflemen right?

The 400 yard was shot in 2 relays. Here is one group...

Keeping the backers up/dry was a challenge in the rain:

Sometimes it was futile...but the show went on. Cowboy Harper with the remains of the 300 yard backer/targets.

Hint: wax coated butcher paper worked best!

Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

TaosGlock

Range estimation exercise. There are various ways to do this.
Students measure front sight post width/height and various scope reticle sub-tensions at 25 yards.
BlueFeather and NMI9100.

Father and son check 100 yard stage 1 scores. Stage 2 and 3 of the FD AQT can also be seen in the background.

There were 3 pairs of fathers/sons at this event.

Scoring at the 400 yard stage.

Lunch time in the cold rain. Thanks to NMI9100 (David) for the hot and most welcomed grilled lunch each day!

pennys dad

To All The Instructors and Orange hats that brought this event to us, Thank You :-)
This was a very memorable and expertly well taught class.
I am happy I was able to attend.

jrc9596

What a great time with a great group of people.  Put me down for next year, this was way too much fun.   O0    My wife is wondering if I met "someone special" in NM because the smile still hasn't left my face a week later.   Hearing the buffalo *thud* made the trip worthwhile all by itself.   ^:)^ 

The Floodseed had all the comforts of home..... crazy weather, good shooting, great scenery and awesome people.  The only thing missing was a tornado siren.  Its an OK thing..... we're crazy like that.   :pop: 

A huge thank you to all the instructors for diagnosing my major malfunctions.  Two Appleseeds and no patch, but I know what I need to work on before trying again.  30 years of shooting and I've been doing it all wrong the whole time, so much for military training.   

Regarding the conditions, determination and perseverance may be the most lacking qualities in modern culture and I saw a ton of both during the RBC.  Awesome job everyone.  Now if I can just shoot like a girl.... :wb:

I will post some of my pics later today or tomorrow.   

John (OKC version)

nmmi9100

The September 2013 Full Distance Camp FLOODSEED was filled with teachable attitudes and solid citizens.  The students were the greatest thing about this shoot!  We had a drenching that came down on Sunday afternoon, the last day of the shoot, and we wrapped up the shoot in the giant building on the Coors Range.  Afterward,  I was a approached by a hardy Oklahoman (John) and asked if we could still shoot the buffalo.  I, of course, was game!  Afterall, there aren't many places where you can shoot a steel buffalo at 1123 yards outside of NRA Whittington Center!  The buffalo is so popular that Whittington even sells t-shirts stating "I shot the Buffalo!"

In addition to John from Oklahoma, Jeff from Portales, New Mexico, and IIT Jeff from Los Lunas, New Mexico joined me for the trek over to the Highpower Silhouette Range in light drizzle and a howling wind.  John was running a 16" DPMS 308 with 180 Core-lokts., Jeff a Remington 700 308 with 168 SMKs, and IIT Jeff an FAL with 168 SMKs.  Only Jeff from Portales had a scope with sufficient adjustment (an IOR Valdada).  We computed dope for each rifle, maxed out dial adjustments, and used scope reticles for the balance as holdover.  We used from 40-50 MOA depending on the rifle to get to 1123 yards with the 308s.  Of course it was a bit easier with my 260 AR-10T, with 33 MOA to 1125 with 139 gr Lapua Scenars.

1123 yards = 0.638 miles.  Over twice the distance of the Rifleman's Quarter Mile!  And some interesting wind conditions shooting over a valley at the opposite hillside.

Long story short, every one was on target with the buffalo within a few shots.  The shooter would fire a round, I was the spotter, and we'd pull our muff off after the shot, listening for the impact.  It takes almost 2 seconds for the bullet to get there and a bit over 3 seconds for the sound to get back so we had time to wait!  Smiles all around as each of the shooters repeatedly whacked the buffalo!

Great job, Jeff, Jeff, and John!

John, Jeff, and Jeff (IIT) on the firing line at Highpower Silhouette:

John from OK with the 1123-yard buffalo (buffalo is the white dot in the distance):

Jeff from Portales with the 1123-yard buffalo:

Jeff (IIT) with the 1123-yard buffalo:

Jeff (IIT), Jeff, and John on the Highpower Silhouette Firing Line:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jrc9596

Here's my pictures.

nmmi9100

TaosGlock

David and John, thanks for posting those. I will get a few more up. Some were used in the NRA newsletter! Thanks to Rick for doing that! Good publicity to boot for a boot camp, right? O0

TaosGlock

The best of the best of Americans show up at Appleseed.  Instruction on the line:

Some of Appleseeds finest. Bluefeather, NMMI9100 and Long Rifle:

All meet up in some of the most challenging conditions:

Bigfoot, a leftover from the NRA WC Adventure Camp target detection exercise was nicely utilized for the RBC!
He was actually placed in the shadows, 300 yards from the shooters target detection area.

A flag of our Founders, to whom we owe it all.