News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor KD, DFW, Aug 17, Fred as SB

Started by floydf, July 24, 2013, 01:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floydf

DFW/Appleseed is hosting an all day Instructor Full Distance (100/200/300/400 yards) on Saturday, August 17th at our new range in Dallas (Big Boar Tactical).

Fred has agreed to be the SB/Instructor, so you have the opportunity to see how he handles a full distance shoot, and to learn how to shoot distance from The Man himself.

The event capacity is currently set at 30, so there should be enough space for everyone who wants to attend.  But you probably want to sign up quickly.  You snooze, you lose :)

For anyone out of town, there is camping on site (as well as fishing, swimming, snorkeling, and (this being August in Texas) sweating).  It really is a gorgeous facility.  We'll be on site somewhere around three or four Friday afternoon setting up the line.

The event will start at 8.00a on Saturday, August 17, 2013.

There is a $25 range fee for the day, and we would appreciate a $5 donation to cover the cost of the backers.

There will be some sort of Instructor dinner (paid by attendees, not Appleseed!) on Saturday evening.  There's a Dickey's barbecue close, so we may just send someone over and bring something back and chow down out on the range.  We can decide that then, and it may depend on how many sign up.

Round count: that's sort of up to Fred.  I'm planning to bring 200+ rounds.

This should be a lot of fun.  If you can make it, you really do owe this one to your kids and grandkids.

If you have questions, send me a PM.  Or send email: my addy is
  floydf (at) txcnx.com

Or give me a call on my cell at 214 425 3752.

Private event, so it's not on the public schedule: sign up at

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=462&showall=yes
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

LawDog

Wow.  We have an event in Amite, LA that day.  I will talk it up in the IC though. 

floydf

There are still slots for this event.  Let's fill it!

I'm a new shooter: an Old Guy who bought his first firearm a short five years ago.  My first Appleseed I was astonished at how putting into practice the fundamentals of marksmanship taught by Appleseed made my shooting improve.  Astonished, and exhilarated.

I read a post by last night by VAshooter, where he talks about putting 24,000 rounds down range through a Garand in the 60s as a member of the All-Navy rifle team, and I am in awe.

We have a heritage of marksmanship in Appleseed from those early Appleseeders that has been captured in the Instructor Manual and the traditions and the instructional program that can only be passed on person to person.  Instructor to shooter, and then, shooter to Instructor.

There are millions of rifles in closets out there in America, and for each one of those, someone is asking, why do I own this, why do I need this rifle.

Appleseed has the answer.  We need to connect these dots.  For America.

When I was an Orange Hat, I made a commitment to myself to shoot a full distance AQT before taking the Red Hat. When I did, I discovered an entirely new dimension to marksmanship, and what it means to to be an American Rifleman.

If you haven't shot a full distance AQT, you need to.  There's a world of marksmanship you don't know about yet.

But I still don't know how to teach distance. 

We just opened a new range in Dallas that can support full distance AQTs out to 400, so I put one on the schedule.  A couple weeks ago I was clearing out my shoot boxes and reading through some of the old Fred materials like the Guide to Becoming a Rifleman and Common Errors, and thought, wouldn't it be cool if he could show us himself how he runs a distance shoot.  So I sent him a PM.

He said yes, if we could push the date up a week, which we could.  So here we are.

This is a chance to shoot full distance AQTs, but more important, it's an opportunity to learn how to teach it and pass it on.  And to do some serious Appleseeding with Fred before and after, if you can.

Fred is coming in Friday afternoon, and we will be setting up the range.  And Appleseeding.  We're shooting Saturday.  He leaves Sunday evening, so Sunday will be more Appleseeding with Fred and instructors.

There is primitive camping at the range for folks out of town, and it  is located on the far north edge of the DFW metroplex, with close convenient (and relatively cheap) hotels available.

Let's fill this event.  There are 30 slots, only 13 are taken so far, so there's still room.  If it maxes out, we will figure out how to open more slots.

PM me at floydf, call me at 214 425 3752, or email at floydf (at) txcnx.com.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

PHenry

QuoteIf you haven't shot a full distance AQT, you need to.  There's a world of marksmanship you don't know about yet.
O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

floydf

Quote from: spitstickler on July 31, 2013, 01:27:29 PM
It's posted on FB now. If you've been teetering on the edge, signing up now is probably a good idea.

I imagine it will sell out now that it's opened up to the general public.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=550738148316684&set=pb.112988112091692.-2207520000.1375287990.&type=3&theater