News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Philadelphia, Oho July 20 & 21

Started by Corvette, July 23, 2013, 02:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

What a great shoot we had at Tusco Rifle Club in New Philadelphia, Ohio this past weekend. Eleven dedicated shooters showed up Saturday morning ready to work on their rifle skills and to learn about their heritage as American Riflemen. The morning started with a shower at 6:30 am followed by a rainbow.  I took this as a sign that we had a great two days ahead of us.

After the welcome and safety briefing, we started with the morning Red Coat target.  Out of eleven shooters, seven showed competence at 100 yards and we had four people joining Daniel Morgan's Rangers with bucket shots,  Most of the shooters showed good starting groups and we moved rapidly into that Saturday instruction courses. Steady hold factors, the six steps and IMC were shared wtih the shooters and before we knew it, we were shooting our practice AQT.  In between, Edheler gave us the first two strikes and before long, we were working on our AQTs.  On our second AQT, we had our first Rifleman, Robert, who shot a 211.  He backed up his Rifleman score on Sunday and kept working to improve both days. Saturday ended with a final Red Coat followed by the Third Strike and closing comments.

On Sunday, we had a reduced line as a number of our Saturday shooters had conflicts on Sunday and could not return. After the Sunday review, we moved into the AQT grind. Our Sunday walk-on, Dale, re-qualified with a solid 220 and several other shooters were knocking on the door with scores in the 180's +.  Our Father/Son team, James the Elder and James the Younger both were showing great promise with there scores.  James the Younger was knocking on the door of Rifleman all day.  One more Appleseed and I think he will make it.

There were a number of funny situations that occurred on Sunday.  Given we had a reduced line on Sunday, we were able to rotate our IITs on the line to get some trigger time.  When it was Dougum's turn to go on the line, he dug out the sling for his rifle and complained that it had issues.  It was put away wet several weeks ago at our Miamisburg shoot and it showed some signs of mildew. Now, given that Dougum has what has to be the grimiest Orange Hat in all of Appleseed, the complaint was pretty funny.   Also, we had an AQT where James the Elder, accidentally shot James the Younger target on Stage 2.  Dad will never live down the fact that he shot the wrong target.  James the Younger was giving Dad grief the rest of the day.

By mid-afternoon, we were shooting KD at 200 yards and James the Younger was banging steel at 200 yards with my M1 Garand.  A final Red Coat was shot an we had 100% of the shooters with three rounds at 100 and 200 and we had one clean Red Coat and three Daniel Morgan rangers.  Everyone showed improvement by Sunday afternoon.   Pictures to follow in subsequent posts.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

TRDFurgesson

I can't thank you gentlemen enough for what I learned this last weekend!!!  I'm already eyeballing the Appleseed at Dillon for my second and an orange hat!!  I'm very much looking forward to seeing my next AS hopefully with Corvette as shoot boss.  I ordered my M1 slings and just about every target available form the AS store.  I cannot wait to receive these items and get back to work on my shooting drills.  Looking forward to seeing you gentlemen again soon.  Keep up the outstanding work, and thank you for all you do!!

HUZZAH!! ^:)^

Robert
The DOJ now considers me an extremist due to my belief in our founding fathers principals, knowledge of our nations constitution, and belief in the need to use the powers in Article V thats enables the states to propose and ratify amendments to our constitution.

Help us right this ship...   http://www.marklevinshow.com/

Corvette

TRDFurgesson, you are in luck because I am scheduled to Shoot Boss the next Dillon AS.  Please sign up when you have some time, I am working now to promote the shoot locally and I want to make sure there is a place for you.  Looking forward to seeing you again in a couple of weeks.

And remember, dry firing at home is a cheap way to "practice" your steady hold and six steps.  Concentrate on the breathing and follow through and you will improve. 

See you on the "Trail" soon.  I will try to get some pictures posted tonight, so come back and check em out.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!