News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA July 13 - 14, 2013 AAR

Started by V, July 15, 2013, 11:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

We had seven shooters out for the weekend to celebrate the heritage and skills and also enjoy the newly refurbished range which Raahauges had labored greatly over all week to have ready by the weekend.

Gunman Doc and Athena 1775 (Joe and Jen) provided great instruction and some fun shooting to celebrate historical facts and break up the AQT Grind.

We had two new rifleman with top scores of 230 and 220, Ray and Dominic shoot together regularly and told us they wanted to improve their standing techniques. I think they both proved they have the chops for all the positions with those scores.

Gil was out with his kids John and Joesephine who was out to celebrate her birthday with a well deserved Luther Blanchard patch. Gil and John know what they need to do to get over the plateau and Josephine showed great improvement while working on the cross eye dominant and equipment fitting issues. I see some Riflemen/Women in their future.

Chris and Luke, our Hollywood cowboy and son, shooting matched mossy factory 10/22s were soon over the equipment/sling hurdles and trying real hard to crest the plateau.

Everyone took to heart the teachable attitudes and kept the fun but dedicated atmosphere going though a hot but cooler than expected Sunday grind. Joe and Jen's excellent running of the Sunday review gave us time for 9 AQTs and the two red coats.

My personal highlight was our new Rifleman Ray when asked what helped him the most replied that while competing with his buddy and shooting for scores and bragging rights was always there, "shooting with purpose" and seriousness after hearing the stories of the founding generation was what pushed him on to the score. Clearly, the founding generations of this great experiment are the gift that keeps on giving to posterity.

Everyone feel free to add your comments below and pictures if you've got 'em. :pics:

Cheers
V

GilV

Wow! My thanks again to the great "shoot crew" members. I stand in awe of those who have grown this project to the level it has attained. I found the weekend to be a great surprise. I knew I would have fun shooting with two of my children but had no idea the impact I would experience. I asked my 12 (now 13) year old what the greatest part of her weekend was and she responded, to my surprise "shooting is always a blast but, I got the most out of the personal history they related."

Improving our shooting skills by a large factor was no small task but your crew had us put about 450 rounds down range over the two long and tiring but very fun days. I believe those two days were a great investment for all involved. Staff and shooters all helped maintain a safe range without creating a drill team atmosphere.

In spite of my ribbing, I congratulate the two young men who worked hard and attained their deserved rifleman patches.

We enjoyed the presentations and applaud the staff for your dedication to the ongoing efforts. Your study of colonial and US history are inspiring. More to follow.....

dvlsadvc8

I have to echo Gil's thanks to the Appleseed crew.  I believe everyone attended learned a great deal.  The stories told were very inspiring, and the marksmanship lessons were nothing short of amazing.  I say this because I would have never imagined me being able to hit a target the way I did with the number of shots I took while standing.  Certainly not just over a weekend.  I have to say that this is the most rewarding firearms related experience I've had by far.  I would definitely do it again, and bring some friends along.

Thank you for making me a Rifleman.

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations on achieving Rifleman .
We know exactly how you feel !
Welcome aboard .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Athena 1775

Hi everyone,

What a wonderful weekend (despite the infamous Corona heat)!  I was continually amazed and impressed by the teachable attitudes of all 7 shooters... you guys were fantastic.  The proof was on the paper as your shooting improved throughout the weekend.

I took a ton of photos, and will post them tonight with some additional commentary.  Check back for more!

Jen
(Athena 1775)
"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"

Athena 1775

Photo deluge ahead!!

Talking Targets, and a view of our newly-graded range

V, telling the Second Strike at Lunchtime on Saturday

Gunman Doc and V teach the Steady Hold Factors for Kneeling

Everyone tries out Seated Positions on Saturday

Still Settling in to those Seated Positions

Shooting - and resting - in the Standing position

Chris and son Luke take out some Redcoats at the end of Day 1

Ray and Dominic teach their Redcoats a lesson or two at the end of Day 1

On to Sunday!  Stage 2 of the AQT

Chris

Luke

Ray

Dominic

Gil

John

Josephine

Stage 3 of the AQT

Stage 4 of the AQT

Gil with his kids, John and Josephine

Friends Ray and Dominic

Father-and-son team Chris and Luke

Half the line in prone, with an interloping Red Hat (Gunman Doc)

Gil and family in prone

Ray and Dom in prone

To break up the monotony on Sunday, Gunman Doc and I brought along a little surprise... a scaled target for shooting a 5" x 7" board - held between some poor sod's knees - at 120 yards.  Patriots showed their impressive skills by attempting the same feat (with real boards and real knees!) at 60 yards during the Revolutionary War... our shooters and their modern equipment gave it a try at double the distance.  Only one "man" survived unscathed, showing how impressive our forefathers' marksmanship really was!

Ray's impressive board-between-the-knees target!  Note that he named his target "Dom"... the pressure must have helped!

Stage 1 of the final AQT

Stage 1 of the final AQT (again)

Stage 2 of the final AQT

Ready to Transition

Luke finishes up his AQT

Chris finishes up his AQT

Ray finishes up his AQT

Dominic finishes up his AQT

Gil finishes up his AQT

John finishes up his AQT

Josephine finishes up a chapter of a book, instead of facing ANOTHER AQT :)

Rifleman # 1 - Dominic

Rifleman # 2 - Ray

Josephine receives her Luther Blanchard patch
"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"

dvlsadvc8

GilV

Thanks for the photo updates, I'll try to add some soon (technically and calendar challenged). We are all still talking about the great weekend and looking forward to attending another, this time with the wife-yahoo!