News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

McLean, IL July 13-14, 2013 AAR

Started by TheEditor, July 15, 2013, 12:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

What an excellent weekend! 

A beautiful location.  Nearly perfect weather.  A wonderful host family.  Supportive sponsors.  A great instructor crew.  And, most importantly, Americans thirsting to drink from the firehose of Marksmanship and Heritage! 

I'll post up some pics, and more info later, but let's hear from shooters and instructors. 

The Editor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

SlingBurn

What a great weekend!  Pretty hot and humid, but that didn't stop everyone from giving their all.  It was a pleasure to requalify as Rifleman, and an honor to be offered an orange hat.  I look forward to seeing all of the instructors again as I begin my journey as an instructor! 

Big thanks to the Holland family for their hospitality and generosity, as well.  Their land is beautiful, and it was wonderful to stop and appreciate it in the midst of shooting and learning.

I shot my best Rifleman score yet on Saturday.  The bar has been raised again for me :)  Now If I could just stop draggin' wood when I get tired...well, always room for improvement!

Thanks again to everyone for a wonderful weekend!
"I have not a man who is afraid to go." - Isaac Davis

TheEditor

Glad to have you aboard, Slingburn!

It was like old home week at the Holland ranch this weekend. 

Nailer 22, who was a regular at Illinois shoots the last few years, moved to Michigan a few months ago, but he happened to be in town to conduct some business, and stopped by to visit. 

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

Also OuttaAmmo came in on Sunday, fresh from a (I think) 4H shoot on Saturday, and got in some shooting. 

His better half, Plenty of Ammo, was there as well. 

He had an advantage over the other shooters.  The barrel on his CZ rifle put him two feet closer to the target than everyone else, or so it seemed. 

He also had a cool loop sling that might be an improvement (if that's possible) on a 1907 sling.   

After the shoot on Sunday, he showed us his pellet rifle that he picked up from CMP for about $110.00.  He said he likes shooting that at home a lot better than dry firing. 

I didn't get a picture of his particular air rifle, but here's a pic from the CMP website of the air rifle in question. 
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

In this picture, our Young Patriot, Lucas, shows off his Saturday morning and Saturday evening Redcoats.  A bit of improvement there, eh? 
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

There's more to life than one inch squares.  There's the ignorant TV sitting on the apathetic and lazy couch.  The TV on the Couch target was our final target before lunch on Saturday, and here Joy helps her team make sure the evil TV does not survive.  Teams of four, with ten shots each, were assigned to make sure that those TVs increased no one's ignorance again.  They did a fine job; no TV's were salvageable after the onslaught. 

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

John Boch

I was thinking of you guys and gals as I was seventh stepping workin' on GunNews!

Looks like a decent group!

John

The Nailer

The Editor ordered up some beautiful weather for the weekend at the Holland Farm.  I would like to thank the Hollands for their hospitality they provided all weekend, this is an excellent venue.  We had a line full of very enthusiastic shooters and several of them were very close to their rifleman score.  They all had the rifleman spirit and there is no doubt we will soon see some new riflemen and riflewomen.  I would also like to congratulate Slingburn for taking an orange hat and beginning the next step of his journey.

Tornado

Thank you to the Holland's for their hospitality & lunch. It's always a good time at McLean. Thanks to GSL & GSL Defense Training for the cold drinks & fans. The Editor ran a great shoot and I learned a few new things from the instruction & History.

Congratulations to SlingBurn on re-qualifying and well done taking the Orange Hat (Photo below).  O0 Look forward to working with you.

It was an enjoyable weekend with good folks getting off their couches (and shooting up a few). ;) :---

Well done shooters. So many of you were close. Dry fire practice at home and come back with a few friends to let them see what you've learned.

-Tornado
"Great things have been affected by a few Men well Conducted."

George Rogers Clark