News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Brazil, IN June 29 & 30

Started by Eddie, June 30, 2013, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie

This is a starter thread for the Brazil, IN shoot on June 29th and 30th. 

Synopsis:  It rained really hard.  We had a total of ten shooters.  Pro-Teq is an awesome place to go shooting!  The local volunteer fire department cooked us lunch (bluegill and crappie caught on Thursday!).  We had one shooter earn her patch.  Philagothon and Brianheeter were very competent IIT's.  They did a great job and made my life easy.

I have lots more to say and pictures to post but right now I need to clean guns and put away gear.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Buzzbie

I had a great time yesterday.  Thanks to all the instructors and red hats.  I have a long way to go to shoot rifleman, but I shot my first 200 yard redcoat (3 shots in) yesterday.  The leaders did a great job in helping me.

brianheeter

Another great weekend at an Appleseed!  We had mothers with sons, a grandfather with his grandson, the wife of one of the IITs as a Blue Hat and the wife of one of the Instructors on the line.  More proof that Appleseeding is great for the entire family.

One new Rifle(wo)man in Joanne who shot a 213.  Woot!  Nice job, Joanne.  Lots of improvement shown by everyone and, of course, the history of this nation's start was presented and enjoyed.

We had two youth shooters, Hunter and Jackson.  Great job, you guys.  Remember to build your positions using the Steady Hold Factors and fire each shot by the numbers.  Don't Rush!

Andrew was squared away every time all the time, always ready, never late, working that bolt action like a pro.  David, our cross-eye dominant visitor from Illinois was inspiring.  A rightie teaching himself to shoot leftie and not complaining about it a bit.  Patty, catching on quickly and executing nicely.  Tracy, one word, "SLING!"   ;D     And, finally, Mike and Lane.  Great to have you two on the line.  Get some more ammo loaded and we'll get that M1 carbine figured out.

A big Thank You! to Don Brannan of ProTEQ and the Johnson Volunteer Fire Department who took good care of the shooters and Instructors.  A covered firing line to keep the sun and rain off of us (whichever it happened to be...we had a fair bit of both) and grilled burgers and hot dogs for lunch on Saturday then fried fish on Sunday.  Hard to beat good eats!

Next one at ProTEQ is August 24th and 25th.

C ya,

brian

P.S.  Do we have any pictures?
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Eddie

Brazil, IN  June 29th and 30th AAR:

General Information:  ProTeq is a privately owned range just north of Brazil, IN.  The range offered spaces for 30 shooters with a limited option to move back to 200 yards for known distance.

Saturday:  Weather was in the 80's and humid.  Rain was expected that day.  Don, the range owner set up a portable shelter over the firing line and others were used to create a sign in area and a place for shooters to stash their gear in out of the rain.  This is an excellent facility!  We had the range set up well ahead of schedule and sign in went smoothly.  We had nine shooters on Saturday ranging from grade school age to retired.  There was a nice mix of mother/son, grandfather/grandson and husband/wife.  All rifles on the line were rimfire.

The morning progressed slow and steady with our Instructors taking turns giving lessons and moving shooters on and off the firing line.  At noon the local volunteer fire department came out and cooked us lunch on the range.  We got to sit down in the cowboy action area of ProTeq and enjoy burgers and hot dogs while listening to some history.

The rain got progressively heavier although intermittent through the afternoon.  We had to call a short unplanned break of about 15 minutes when the rainfall became too heavy for the shooters to hear line commands but as soon as the worst of the front moved through the shooters were right back on the line.  We ended Saturday with all of the lessons but one completed and the shooters got to practice one untimed AQT before shooting their evening red coat.

Sunday:

In anticipation of more rain, Don, the range owner set up a second shelter to cover more of the equipment line and two of our shooters brought a portable shelter of their own.  The day was cooler than Saturday with intermittent light rain all day.  After a refresher course by our Instructors we brought the shooters to the line and let them shoot four AQT's in a row before lunch. 

At lunchtime the local volunteer fire department was out there on the range again.  This time they were frying us freshly caught bluegill and crappie for another hot lunch eaten in the cowboy action town! 

After lunch (and some stories about some dangerous old men and women) the shooters were put through the "ball and dummy lesson" and then they got to shoot two more AQT's.

Mid-afternoon we shot the final red coat, cased and stored rifles and then set about tearing down the 25 meter range and moving everything back to a 200 yard firing line for some known distance shooting.  All of the shooters pitched in to help and we were ready to go within 25 minutes!

At 200 yards we ran a shorter firing line with shooters rotating on and off four mats.  When it was over 100% of our shooters agreed that everything they had learned at 25 meters applied out to 200 yards. 

After the evening benediction we handed out two youth patches and one shooter had earned her Rifleman patch.

Pictures to follow.

Eddie

First is a shot of Philagothon, one of our IIT's getting "down and dirty" on the ground working with one of our shooters.  Note how nice Don at ProTeq was to provide us with portable shelters.

Eddie

The shooters had options to get themselves and their gear in out of the rain.

Eddie

IIT brianheeter giving some one on one time to a shooter.

Eddie

Our shooters got to eat lunch in one of the permanent structures on the cowboy action range.

Eddie

The volunteer fire department towed a grill out onto the range and cooked us lunch.

Eddie

On average this was a well-equipped group.

Eddie

Jo was all smiles after earning her Rifleman patch.

philagothon

What a great weekend!  It was a pleasure getting to know more great Americans and getting to share some history and and marksmanship.

Andrew you were doing great with that Savage.  You have the skills, now it's just a matter of bringing it all together.  Hopefully, we'll see at Atterbury in August.

David, you've got my respect.  Being cross-eye dominant can be a real challenge.  I admire your determination to work past that obstacle.  You'll earn that patch soon enough.

Tracy, I appreciate you allowing us to help you learn important skills.  You were a trooper and worked hard all weekend.  You also showed great improvement.

Hunter, it's good to see our youth learning history and marksmanship.  You are the future of our country.  Keep working on those skills and QUIT BOTHERING YOUR MOM!  ~~:) O0

Jo, congrats on earning your Rifle(wo)man patch.  Funny enough, I'm pretty sure that was the one where I critiqued your seated position; I guess you showed me!  Beware the den that is protected by a strong Momma Bear!

Patty, good on you for wanting to add rifle skills to your well stocked tool belt.  You had a great attitude the whole weekend.  Bring some of your pistol friends next time!  PS: Thanks for bringing your parents along to hear the history, I hope it touched their hearts.

Jackson, "WHERE YOU AT?"  You were a lot of fun and kept my wife entertained with your dancing behind the equipment line.  Great job running your rifle all weekend.

Lane, it's good to see you persevering.  Next time bring your sweetheart to the dance and stick with her.  Bring that one rifle you love.  Master it. and it won't be long until you are able shoot every rifle well.

Mike, I think we may have something for you!

Don, you're awesome. We could not ask for a better host. Thank you so much for all that you put into every Appleseed.  Your hospitality is second to none!

The Dick Johnson VFD is almost equally awesome! Coffee and danishes in the morning, fresh cooked food in the afternoon; who could ask for more.  I can't wait for the ice cream next month.  y the way, when you guys get a chance, come join us on the line.

I hope to see everyone back August 24th & 25th!

Eddie

I got around to inventorying gear this weekend.  I found that:

A)  some of the things that came home with me are not mine and;
B)  some of my things did not come home with me.

If you have something that is not yours or if you lost something at the last Brazil shoot, please send me a PM.