News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Brown Beauty

Started by Slow2Speak, June 27, 2013, 11:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slow2Speak

Some of you know my niece Sydney from the Bedford shoots well.... shes at a big church camp in one of the Carolinas something like a thousand kids there. They have some kind of trivia type deal and one of the questions was what was Paul Revere's horse named of course she told them Brown Beauty the people runnin the camp said they always use that question and no one has ever gotten it right she was even wearing her Appleseed shirt

George Hacker

Huzzah, Sydney! O0

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Ratchett

Fantastic job Sydney!!! What a great opportunity to 7th step and let them all know where to find the answer  O0 O0 ^:)^
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

SPQR

I have given patches (or bossed the shoot where they were given their patches) to every member of a family three times.  They were the first.  I've got some favorite students, Syd's one of them.   
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Brown

I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

Rayne

Way to go Sydney!!! 

When I first read the title of the thread I thought we might be talking about Brown's wife, cause I know we weren't talking about Brown himself.   ;D
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Twineagles

That of course was not Paul Revere's horse but a borrowed mount. On pawn stars they asked what was the name of PR's horse and correct answer was he didn't own a horse. It is good she remembered the name from a seed though.
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

grunt soldier

that is awesome!  very cool that she remembered and got it right!

I can never forget the name brown beauty.  I was practicing giving my strikes on a lady at work.  when I got to this part and I said his horses name was brown beauty.  She proceeded to chime in with "that is my stripper name!!"  it was hilarious.  Almost every time I give the strike and mention it I want to giggle :)
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Barbie

Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

FiremanBob

How could Revere not have owned a horse, when he spent much of the year before 4/18/75 riding all over the colonies to communicate and exchange documents with Committees of Safety?

It would make sense that he did not take his own horse on the famous ride, as he had to sneak out of Boston in a rowboat.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Brown

Quote from: Rayne on June 28, 2013, 12:33:09 AM

When I first read the title of the thread I thought we might be talking about Brown's wife, cause I know we weren't talking about Brown himself.   ;D

EVERYONE agrees Lunch Lady is easier on the eyes than this old man ::)
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

AuntieBellum

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

SteelThunder

For what it's worth, in my wanderings of research, I ran across a reference that Brown Beauty was a Narragansett breed.   A Narragansett was a specific American breed...created for the needs of the time, specially bred to "travel long distances on poor roads", known for speed and stamina (but not necessarily beauty)  and popular with known owners such as George Washington.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narragansett_Pacer

http://www.horseshowcentral.com/flex/paul_revere_and_brown_beauty/312/1

Me personally, I think it fitting that the horse that enabled Paul Revere's ride was derived from an English breed, with a mixing of other traits, to become uniquely American breed.  A quote from the Brown Beauty article

QuoteInstead of the jarring two-beat trot, the Narragansett offered a smooth four-beat saddle gait, favored for its speed and comfort. In addition the breed had an amiable, courageous temperament vital in times of crisis. The Narragansetts were a direct derivative from Old English Ambler (palfreys) which had been taken across the Atlantic by the pioneers and later became extinct in Britain; and of course are the forerunners of today s American Saddlebred.

Those sound like pretty good qualities of a Rifleman...  ^:)^ :bow: :bow:

Footnote...hey, I think I thunk up a new story for one of my benedictions.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Oz

Quote from: SteelThunder on June 28, 2013, 12:18:27 PM

Me personally, I think it fitting that the horse that enabled Paul Revere's ride was derived from an English breed, with a mixing of other traits, to become uniquely American breed.   Sort of like us...  ^:)^ :bow: :bow:

But the breed became extinct around 1880. 

Can't let that simile work its way through--hence, the bailing.   ~~:)
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Orangedotfever

Way to go Syd. You are a great example of how America is able to be saved from your generation up. Hope to see you at West Baden.
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.