News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Miamisburg, Ohio June 15 and 16

Started by Corvette, June 18, 2013, 02:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Dawn broke early on Saturday with a clear sky.  It was the start of a great weekend at the Miamisburg Sportsman Club with 13 motivated attendees.  With much help from Meanstreaker, ChevyShooter and Dougum, we had the line ready, the flags hung, the battleroad maps ready for the strikes and the registration materials collated and ready for sign up.  All the shooters arrived early showing how eager they all were to embark on their Appleseed adventure.

After the welcome and the safety briefing, rifles were moved to the line and the first Red Coat was shot.  The morning sped by with sighters, prone instructions, the six steps, NPOA and more practice.  It took some time to sort out the various rifles on the line but by lunch we had most of the details addressed.  The first strike was presented at lunch and then it was back to the line.  Work continued on seated, standing and transitions.  After our afternoon break and the second strike, we completed our practice AQT and got one timed AQT completed before we ended the day with the third strike. 

The line was very much a family/community affair.  We had a grand mother and father with two grand children, a father son, a set of neighbors and a husband/wife combination along with several singles to fill out the line.  One of our singles had attended his first Appleseed just two weeks ago in Newark and just could not wait for us to come back to Newark and joined us in Miamisburg. Great to see you again James. Everyone worked hard on Saturday and did so very safely. 

Sunday dawned with a light shower that luckily stopped just before we moved back to the line. Our husband/wife couple could not join us on Sunday but we replaced them with James' wife and daughter for Sunday's work.  We completed our safety review and a review of the position steady hold factors.  Meanstreaker had the pleasure of awarding an Orange hat to his Appleseed friend Jeff and welcomed him as our newest IIT. Jeff joined us on the line for all of Sunday.  Jeff is an excellent rifleman.  He has attended a number of Appleseeds at Miamisburg and has shot rifleman many times.  More impressive is he is one of the few people who also has the coveted Winterseed patch. The awards were not done as Meanstreaker also chose Sunday morning to award me my Shoot Boss green hat.

We moved back to the line for our Sunday morning Red Coat and some extra work on the standing position.  We were encouraged by Zach's 206 on our first Sunday AQT and by other scores in the high 100's .  After a lunch break and the Dangerous Old Men discussion, we returned to the line where Kedrick finally topped the 210 mark and made Rifleman in his first Appleseed.  Zach knocked on the door  repeatedly throughout the day but just kept coming a few points short of the magic 210 number.  By the final Red Coat of the day, it was clear that everyone had improved from where they started Saturday morning. 

My thanks to everyone who attended for making this a positive and SAFE shoot.  To Dougum, ChevyShooter, Jeff and especially MeanStreaker, my heartiest thanks for helping to make the shoot a success.  We closed the day with some thoughts from the Ode to a Rifleman which closed a great shoot.

Zach, hopefully we will see you in two weeks at Marion, Ohio.  One more event and we should be able to get you over the hump and into an Orange hat. Pictures to follow.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Pictures from the Miamisburg shoot.

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

More pictures

MeanStreaker

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful weekend.

Also, a big Congratulations to Corvette for earning his Green Hat!

Hope to see everyone again very soon.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

GoldFish

Hoorah Corvette!  I can't wait to check out that Green Hat in person. O0

Quote from: MeanStreaker on June 18, 2013, 01:47:03 PM
Also, a big Congratulations to Corvette for earning his Green Hat!

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Corvette

Goldfish, thanks for the congrats but checking out the hat will be tough. Mean streaker only has one and I had to sign it and give it back to him. You will only be able to check out the old red Shoot Boss hat I got from Ratchett. 

Ps Mike told me that old ratty orange hat used to be his. That explains its "well worn" look. Hope to see you on the trail soon.

Corvette

GoldFish

Quote from: Corvette on June 19, 2013, 10:18:41 AM
Goldfish, thanks for the congrats but checking out the hat will be tough. Mean streaker only has one and I had to sign it and give it back to him. You will only be able to check out the old red Shoot Boss hat I got from Ratchett. 

Ah, it's that green hat. ;D  Your new black-brimmed red head-wear will look pretty nice too.
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Corvette

I post this video after every shoot, worth a look, there still are DOM's even today

I forgot to mention this weekend the 86 year old WWII sniper by the name of Ted Gundy.  Ted was made an honorary member of the US Army Rifle Marksmanship team in honor of his service.  He was also given a replica of the 1903A4 sniper rifle that he had used in the Battle of the Bulge in Europe by Gibbs Arms (Navy Arms).  The video below shows the award and shows that even at 86, Ted still has what it takes to be a rifleman.
Check it out, what Ted does is really impressive.  O0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdqxkHd2RQ

Corvette

Dudeman

Thanks for the postings, Corvette!  Hope to see you in Marion next week.

-Zach
"Rest if you must, but never quit." - Dean Whiteford

Corvette

Zach, counting on it, it will be a great shoot.  Corvette