News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Hinckley, MN -- June 15-16, 2013

Started by AFTERMATH, June 17, 2013, 09:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

What do you do at a shoot with no pre-regs?

You show up anyway, just in case.  Such was the case at Hinckley this weekend.

Let's just say I was mildly pessimistic as I made my way to the location.  I was running late, thinking it's okay, no one's coming anyway.  Just drive on up, wait around to ensure there are no walk-ons, and perhaps now that it's spring confirm my moderate weather zeros.  Note that unannounced walk-ons are a rarity at this location.  And even then, most are last minute tag-a-longs, with the pre-registered shooters.

Well, you can imagine my surprise, when the range came into view and I saw something shiny outside the gate.  As I got closer, my suspicions were confirmed - Someone was there!  At this moment, I must admit a mixed set of feelings on this.  Part of me is thinking: "Great, I have an Appleseed."  Meanwhile, another part of me is thinking: "Crud!  I'm late, the range is probably a mess...  I hope it's not an Appleseeder...  This is gonna look bad...."  Yeah, I know...  But look at it like this.  Murphy's Law states with certainty, that had I been there the evening before, had gotten everything cleaned up, set up and was there at the break of dawn waiting - No one would have showed up!  Been there, done that! 

I meet Bradley down at the range cleaning it up a bit - Oh, my this just can't get worse!  He said he's a member there and trying to clean things up before the shooters get there.  He also, indicated he was looking to shoot today, if there was room.  He'd been to a shoot a couple of years ago but was still lacking in the Rifleman Patch department.  I told him there was plenty of room, in fact he's the only shooter unless there are more walk-ons.  He said, he thought something must have been up...  He said he didn't care to be the only shooter.  Either he felt that he'd be imposing or he felt it would be extremely awkward.  And I admit it would be awkward.  So, I said hey we still might get a busload of walk-ons...  Let's clean up a bit and if no one shows, we'll throw up a few AQT's. 

No one else showed so we went to the best* spot on the range and posted a redcoat and let em have it.  Don't recall exactly how well he did, but he needed sight adjustments at the very least.  Posted up some squares and worked with him in tuning his groups.  A little position tweaking, a little NPOA refining, a little IMC work, some cadence and bam!  He was ready for an AQT...  We talked about his AQT and some RevWar history.  Some folks pulled up looking to use the pistol range so we pulled back, to a better spot, so we could share in the beautiful shooting weather.  And set up another AQT.  While our neighbors were shooting I scored his target and confirmed what I already knew!  He was now a Rifleman!  215, not bad for a righty shooting lefty on a bolt-gun with less than one and a half days of Appleseed experience. O0 
His next AQT was a 229, if I recall correctly.
After that we conversed some more about Appleseed and mission related things before clearing out.
The time isn't right for him to become an instructor, though perhaps in a few years...  He was, however schooled in the low-tech seventh step method of sending folks our way. 

So, was this an official Appleseed, a mini-seed, or just some cultivating? 
I'll let you be the judge.  I did cover all of the POI, in one way or another - No matter how unconventional.
All, except the Three Strikes - Though indeed, I mentioned some of the big points.  But we did talk about some other RevWar heritage, and, well he's already heard the Three Strikes. 
Whatever it was, it was a pretty good day for a shoot that would have otherwise been cancelled.

By the way, if it was an official Appleseed - 100% Riflemen by about noon on Saturday isn't too bad.  >:D

Of course, I stuck around a bit - Talked up Appleseed to the few folks that showed up to shoot or look around.  Before heading over to talk to Charlie - A huge fan of Appleseed - who own/operates the Kettle River Camping Park just one mile from the range.  (He even offers a discount to people who stay there for an Appleseed.) ^-^ 
Driving back, I noticed someone else was at the range.  So, of course I couldn't miss that opportunity either.

Anyway, Sunday I was alone.  So, I took my time to confirm my zeros as well as my need to dryfire more often. 

All in all - while the weekend could have gone better I'm happy to introduce Bradley; MN - Rifleman #149.

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

JOEMORGAN

Great work Alex! And congrats to Bradley  :) :) :)

In my opinion whether there's  :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :---  :---

or

:---
with the high points hit regarding our heritage

It's official....

Thanks for your service Alex!

P.S. It's refreshing to see another wearing those ugly brown pants  :))

"Man did not enter society to be worse off, or to have fewer rights, but rather to have those rights better secured" --Thomas Paine

"Humanity has won it's battle, Liberty has a country" --Marquis de Lafayette

"These are not men, but devils" --Colonel Francisco de Paula-Milan, Mexican Army, Camerone 30 April 1863