News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marion Road Gun Club, Macon, Georgia June 15-16

Started by DrJohn, June 17, 2013, 10:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Macon Georgia was blessed with fair weather (for Georgia in June!) and as persistent and determined a group of students as anyone could wish, mostly first-time Appleseeders but with a sprinkling of friends from prior events. We began, as usual, with a Saturday welcome that explained the Appleseed mission and message, then went on to the safety briefing part of the welcome. Our initial target of the weekend, the Redcoat target, indicated we all needed a bit of improvement. We began with Sling Use and the Steady Hold Factors in prone, then went on with The Six Steps, Natural Point of Aim (these three items comprising the solid foundation of rifle marksmanship), Rifleman's Cadence, Talking Targets, and Inches-Minutes-Clicks.

We gathered for lunch together and shared food and fellowship while we heard the first part of the Story of April 19, 1775, the Battles of Lexington and Concord. After recovering a bit from the oppressive heat (not one person had a word of complaint the entire weekend, a remarkable tribute to as mentally tough a group of students as this instructor has seen), we continued with Steady Hold Factors in the sitting and kneeling positions, Transitions to sitting and prone positions, and finally, Steady Hold Factors in standing position. During our afternoon break, we listened to the last part of the Story of April 19, what we call Strike Three of the match of the War for Independence. We shot an AQT and then our final Redcoat target of the day. The Saturday benediction was an extraordinary rendition by Morpheus of the immortal "Liberty or death!" speech of Patrick Henry, with some concluding remarks on the significance and meaning of the heroic actions of our illustrious ancestors.

Sunday we had a slightly reduced group, but still remarkable in view of the fact it was Father's Day. And we had several one-day students Sunday, who caught on quickly and were soon up to speed with the rest of the group. Sunday morning was an accelerated review of the previous day, plus Ball and Dummy drill. We ate lunch together as on the previous day, and listened to stories of Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children.  After lunch began the "AQT grind". Some students elected to follow our advice to determine their own needs and address them in the context of an Appleseed, and decided to get more experience in prone, or sight adjustments, or whatever, while the rest engaged in firing the AQT targets. Although several students came within a whisker of qualifying Rifleman, no one did so that weekend. But each and every one has the capacity to do so, both the mental and physical skills. It is only a matter of persistence and dry fire practice.

The event ended on a high note. Our afternoon break was devoted to a classroom presentation of firing at Actual Distance. We learned the rudiments, then posted targets and moved under the pavilion to shoot at 100 yards. After making appropriate sight adjustments, we took turns firing at swinging steel targets at 100 yards, and I am convinced some of our students were amazed to see their improvement over the weekend, and to learn the truth of what we say, that what works at 25 yards, works at longer distances also.

There were too may students to mention individual names, but understand that each and every one of you was a pleasure and a privilege to teach. It is my sincere desire to see each of you again soon. Honor the traditions of the Founding Generation, dry fire regularly, and bring as many friends as possible to upcoming Appleseed events. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

brianf31

We owe a special debt of gratitude to Marion Road Gun Club for their hospitality. MRGC continues to faithfully support Project Appleseed's mission. We could hardly serve middle Georgia without it.

Thanks to all you shooters who made it out on a warm Father's Day weekend. Down to the last person, this group was safe, attentive and eager to learn and apply new skills. Everyone had a very teachable attitude and persisted as a riflemen persists.

Jeff, Lauren, Jeffrey, it always warms this instructor's heart to see a family on the firing line. Thanks for your great attitude and jovial demeanor. Marksmanship runs in your family!
Don, Ari, Alan, Patrick, you are all excellent shooters and so close to earning that patch. Practice perfectly and you will be there in no time.
Bob, Carmen and Bucky, it was good to have some SC folk on the line. It was my pleasure to get to know you. I hope I run into you again sometime.
Eric, it was good to see you at an Appleseed again. It would be a pleasure to shoot with you again sometime.
Hayden, you are a fine young man and a good student. It was an honor to have you and your family in attendance.
Dave, to see you finish up the shoot going 5 for 5 on the steel gong, with a borrowed rifle no less,  was icing on the cake.
Justin, it was good to see you again. I hope to see you on the trail more often.

As DrJohn mentioned we only ask one thing of you all. Tell others about your Appleseed experience and bring 'em to a shoot! The next shoot at Marion Road is 16-17 Nov, and it should be milder weather.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Morpheus

In spite of the Father's Day weekend and the ubiquitous ammo shortages, we did have some fine and persistent shooters show up to the Marion Road Gun Club. The weather was hot but not oppressive and with ample amounts of water flowing through the shooters everyone persisted and made this a most enjoyable weekend for this instructor.

Thank you, shooters, for your time and energy in learning about the history of April 19, 1775 and practicing the highly valued skill of marksmanship. We didn't find any Riflemen this weekend but that did not discourage this Shoot Boss in the least. The teaching modules were well received and, more importantly to me, the spark of Liberty seemed to burn a bit brighter at the end of the day in each of our attendees.

I am eager to return to the next shoot and I hope to see everyone again, along with your friends, neighbors, family and co-workers.

As per usual, the instructor cadre made this shoot easier than can be anticipated. Thank you, Georgia ITs and to our friend from "The Upstate", Leadfarmer. Your skills and dedication to Appleseed are inspiring and I am pleased to call you all family.

May Liberty Increase! Huzzah!
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Roswell

We had a great group of shooters this weekend. It was warm and sunny, but we had plenty of canopies which I have learned are essential in this unpredictable Georgia weather. Thank you to Don and Dave for bringing theirs. And thank you to everyone for bringing a teachable attitude. Also thank you to MRGC for being gracious as always.

Sorry, I didn't get the camera out Saturday. So, all pictures below are from Sunday.

Ball and Dummy drills on Sunday
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Roswell

Sunday AQT Grind
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24

Roswell

Sunday Actual Distance component following by ringing a steel gong at 100 yds

Jambo

As usual, this IIT learned as much or more about being a Rifleman than I did before taking the orange hat.
The instructors were awesome, as always.  The teamwork was great, as usual.

Many thanks to the instructors who gave up their Father's Day to work at the Rifleman Manufacturing Plant.

Many thanks to the students who gave up their weekend to be molded, and who persevered through the heat.  You have started a journey that should last a lifetime.

There was much improvement shown by all, and it ended on the sweet sounds of steel being rung by a .30 cal in the hands of one of our students.  What a fine way to wrap it all up!

The only downside was the loss of my wedding ring.  So, if anyone finds a simple wedding band in your gear, please let me know.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.  -  Thomas Jefferson 1785