News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Orlando, FL - June 15-16, 2013 (CFRPC)

Started by Mr Pete, June 16, 2013, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

This is my first real Summer in Florida and I was warned but ultimately unprepared!

In spite of the hot muggy conditions we had go-getters on the line who didn't slack off.  Though the heat was on and frustrations peaked our shooters were cool customers with surprising results.

Yes I'm teasing you...More later!

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

Hey All,

Shooters and instructors please sound off!  I didn't mean for anybody to wait on my next post...some of you mentioned that you saw me start this on Saturday night, don't be shy.  Just like your information packet is a record of your journey as a Rifleman feel free to link to this post.  If people ask, "What did you do this weekend?" send them here!

Florida heat and humidity were no barrier for our Saturday shooters.  I have never been soggier (with no rain) than this past Saturday but everybody else held up which is a testament to the quality of people who last out a strenuous Appleseed weekend.

Out of the gate we had shooters!  Jeff came in strong with his boltie CZ and in spite of the heat donned his glove and jacket.  It definitely worked for him as he was mostly in the black through all the instruction.  Mike was a ringer (attended Palm Bay previously) and had his nicely hand crafted 10/22.  Again, another in the black throughout instruction.  We had Steve who brought his friend Neil...three gunners who could obviously shoot they improved throughout the day until the heat started to slow everybody down.  It is always good to see known good shooters (Steve is a discipline director at the CFRPC) constantly honing their skills.  Carla and Edsel struggled against equipment issues all day but they never gave up.  Carla started killing it when equipment was sorted and all the instructors were impressed.  Edsel's difficulties seemed to never end but he never gave up and absorbed all the instruction. 

This goes for everybody even though it is directed to Edsel.  Give me a call and I'll do what I can to help sort out your rifle.  If you want to attend an Appleseed before then ask about a loaner rifle.

Last but not least we had Rob.  Besides the heat he had a few other challenges plaguing him.  I say honestly that Appleseed weekends re-invigorate me.  When I talk about the American Martial Art of Rifle Marksmanship I talk about the physical and mental discipline that it instills.  Strange that learning about something else teaches us about ourselves.  Rob's frustration with the drink from the firehose as well all the other factors (heat, physical pressures, time limits, saved rounds, etc) was evident.  I say this not as a dig but because I can deeply identify with that kind of frustration.  I mentioned my first Appleseed where my Shoot Boss (Dano, are you there?) watched as I had equipment issues and struggles.  I so wanted to bend my rifle's barrel in half then huck it down range.  Dano kept me focused and on track and I hit my score.  I knew I had to pay that experience forward.

By the end of the day, everybody was beat, everybody was tired and frustrated...and I was very soggy.  Bring on the AQTs!

At the Saturday closing I had the pleasure of awarding 3 Rifleman patches to two first timers and one driven, focused returnee.  Mike, Rob and Jeff crushed it out of the park.  Rob who was frustrated about 2 saved rounds still scored!  I know somebody else has the pictures so be sure to post 'em!

Sunday's heat and rain slowed the pace tremendously as we welcomed two newcomers to the line Chris and Julie (who was there on a lark).  In true Rifleman form our three patch holders showed up early and eager to learn more.  Throughout the day we had to challenge them all, newcomers and experienced alike.  Rob was thrown my M44 Mossberg (Bolt action and peep sights) and shot better during the sighting review than he did with his scoped semi!  Surprise, the fundamentals apply to all rifles!  Mike picked up a loaner just to learn about other rifles.  Chris had to swap out for a loaner and did well.  After we tailored Julie's rifle a bit she started killing it!  Chris and Julie, if you need some advice on giving your rifles some TLC give me a call.  Last but not least Ms Nan had a number of ah-ha's on Sunday.  She was doing great on sighting and to her credit figured out herself what she needed to work on then set her mind to it!

Heart of the rifleman!

Even when we pretty much decided to call it as incredible rain overturned easy-ups and created rivers, Mike and Jeff refused to quit. We could barely talk during our rain breaks as it was so loud.  Mike who said, "I'm already wet", flopped down onto his floating mat and finished out his AQT and went on to Redcoats (post those pics people!).  Jeff threw down for the last AQT and easily scored in spite of a miscount on stage 3 (fired 3-4-3).  Everybody knows my thoughts on the 30 cal rule but it was not needed as he backed up his Saturday with a 217 in conditions a duck would avoid.

Finding inspiration from those around me is never a problem...hopefully it lasts long enough for me to wash all the mud from my rifles.

Thanks to the CFRPC for allowing us to have this event.
Thanks to Tom (xsquidgator) who did all the hard work bringing Appleseed to the CFRPC.
Thanks to all the instructors (like Neil from Boca Raton!).
Most especially thanks to the students who make all this worthwhile.

I hope to see all of you again on (or off) the Appleseed Trail,
-Peter

ps.  Range members, if you liked this event know that Tom is up for election as the Chief Instructor for the CFRPC.  Participate in your community and vote at the member meeting in August!
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

neilevan

Mr Pete was a GREAT shoot boss...gentle and humorous, he led by example for us IITs. His presentaions on the history were brilliant: he is an awesome speaker.

We only had seven shooters on the line Saturday, but three of them shot "The Score."  (One of them with a loaner rifle - thanks to tomM1thumb) That's a great percentage!

I learned a lot, and look forward to more. As far as the weather/heat, MrPete: you ain't seen nothin yet!

"The tree of Liberty must be refreshed, from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

TomM1Thumb

Hello All!

CFRPC is a very nice venue, Our shooters were Great, the Heat and Humidity, were normal for June in Florida, Stay Hydrated! or You get sapped quickly.

Hey I got paid well this weekend 3 Rifleman! One using My 10/22 Rifle, as Rob said it shoots itself!

Sunday on the last AQT I decided to do a rapid fire AQT, Well at the end of stage 3 the Heavens opened up, I did shoot that AQT, Rinsed off the Rifle, drained the water out of the Mags, waded out to the shooting Mat.

I will let the Pictures do the talking!

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

ddurango

I can't thank Pete, his instructors, and the other great people I met this weekend at the Appleseed shoot enough for the wonderful time I had.  The whole experience was very rewarding, and was undoubtedly the best training I have ever participated in.

Let me first say, the history instruction is first rate.  I have studied the Revolutionary War period a great deal, but I learned a number of new facts about the Battles of Lexington and Concord.  The instructors kept making the connections between the common people in uncommon times back then to us today.  What would we do?  Would we live up to their example?  It really makes you think about our role in preserving the gifts our forefathers gave us.  Would we defend our homes, our neighbors, and our honor if the choice was laid before us?  There was a thought was in the back of our minds after the instruction began, and it stayed with us all weekend:  Being a rifleman is not just shooting a good score.  It is about those often repeated but rarely pondered words of duty, honor, and courage.   

As for the shooting portion, this is the best way I can describe it.  Before coming, I had some experience shooting NRA high power rifle and some CMP games matches.  I thought that Appleseed would be challenging, but not that tough overall.  I was wrong.  The AQT is a tough target to shoot, especially under the time limits given.  The speed of the drills and the pressure the whole time thing causes really helps to show where you need improvement, and it helps you to know your firearm.  My many frustrations turned into learning experiences, and I can say that I am a much better shooter now then when I first signed up.

If you are a beginning shooter, you will save countless hours and dollars by going to an Appleseed.  Instead of trying to learn to shoot on your own, you can do it the right way from the start.  I watched as the instructors patiently and methodically got other shooters from not being able to hit paper to the point that they were shooting some impressive scores!  Some in only one day!  The program also was of great benefit for more advanced shooters due to the program's stressing the basics and practice trying things "a  little bit differently."  You get out of it what you put into it.  Your response to the training sets the tone.  If you need to take it slow, then you can.  If you want to push hard, the instructors will push you.

The Appleseed method of training works, and I cannot wait to go back  Thanks again to all!

Jeff

P.S.  For the people who love to hear about the rifles and gear people use (as I am), I shot a CZ 452 varmint with a 3x9x40 Leupold rifleman scope with no modifications.  If I had to do it over again, I would probably use a 10/22 with a scope for my first Appleseed.  Shooting with a bolt gun is tough.  However, it was a lot of fun to use one of my favorite rifles in a role that it wasn't really intended for.  CZs are great rifles!

I would also pass along the advice to others who shoot scoped rifles to move their scopes as far forward as possible before the match.  Eye relief makes it difficult to shoot prone with a scope.  I will likely invest in a longer scope rail for this rifle, as I still had problems despite having the scope as far forward as possible.

My last piece of advice would be for new shooters to ask to use Tom's Ruger 10/22 in the adjustable Fajen stock.  It is an awesome piece of machinery!

gratefuldog

Ah Yes... Mr. Pete's Mossberg 44 U.S.  I remember it well!

Sounds like y'all had a great shoot!

Engineer shooting

It wouldn't be an Appleseed in Florida without pictures of shooters in puddles! Huzzah!  O0
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

PHenry

QuoteMr Pete was a GREAT shoot boss...gentle and humorous, he led by example for us IITs. His presentaions on the history were brilliant: he is an awesome speaker.

CA's loss is FL's gain. Huzaaaah! (sorry Bob210 - I git carried away sometimes  :-[)
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

xsquidgator

A good time, despite the rain.  The three Riflemen from this shoot are the very first to emerge at Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club!  Hopefully the first of many to come.

Dragon 5 November

Its Mike, I had a really fun return shoot. The rain was a blast to shoot in and 45 minutes of solid pounding rain definately cooled things down. Great meeting everyone both for the first time and hope to see you guys again.

One thing I learned on this in favor of Appleseeds was you can shoot for a half hour in your yard or on a range and you will not figure your gun out completely. After a day and a half of solid shooting I definately learned some things I need to change on my stock so its off to start sanding again.

Thanks for the very well run event!

PS was it hot enough for Infernoseed?

packinvet

Mr. Pete is the quintessential instructor for this discipline - passionate, knowledgeable, patient, professional, encouraging, challenging.  The other Tom (not my Tom) taught me so much more about correct scope usage & his advise was spot on.  :pics:  Listen to what these guys tell you (including my Tom).  First shot of the day - dead center 250 yd shingle shot. HAPPY DANCE!   ^:)^  And that's before making sight adjustments.  Even in rain; even getting eaten by mosquitoes; I qualified marksman without getting off all my shots.  I believe I shall be a rifleman, eventually.  Thanks, honey buns for holding me to the promise to do this the 1st time.

Mr Pete

Can't believe it has been a month already...catching up on my other paperwork.

ddurango - Thank you for your very kind review.  As instructors we work hoping we can communicate what we feel and understand.  Your insight is deeply satisfying and I hope it drives you in some way.  I need to stay sharp so let me know when you're headed to the range.

Dragon 5 November - Not quite hot enough for Infernoseed (100+ heat index at the time you shoot it), but there definitely will be more chances this summer.  Since you're so close let me know if you want hit the range.  Our hats are one-size fits all...let me know where I can deliver it.

packinvet - I also believe you shall be a rifleman.  Once you get there I have an idea on how you can keep your skills up.   ;)

I hope to see y'all again on (or off) the Appleseed trail,
-Peter