News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hernando Sportsman's Club 06/08,09/2013

Started by PHenry, June 11, 2013, 06:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Fortune shines on the children of Liberty. Despite high chances of rain and heat, we saw nearly none of the former and only a reasonable amount of the latter. Nine hardy souls turned out to practice one of the fine traditions of the Founders last weekend at HSC in Homassassa, FL. All arrived by 8:AM, affording us more time for marksmanship education.

We began the day with some introductions and brief remarks and then moved into the telling of the first strike the match. Then we shot hits counts target to see where we were and where we needed to go. As always our morning redcoats showed plenty of room for improvement. And so we began down the path toward becoming rifleman, in the storied tradition of our ancestors.

Squares, squares, and more squares. Prone demonstration, and POA, and the six steps of firing the shot. The pace was hectic but the students never faltered, instead showing the grit of thems who came before them. With Alkeford at the helm as a shiny new shoot boss, everything is coming together. Lunchtime brought the second strike of the match and a well needed break for sustenance.

With full bellies we proceeded to the sitting position. It was clear that the instructors had failed to properly explain what was required. The targets never lie. And so we threw the course of instruction out the window and focused on more squares from sitting until the targets showed that the shooters were improving. We posted classification AQTs, or zombies as we call them, in preparation for the main event. Transition to sitting, transition to prone, and a standing demonstration, along with shooting the top silhouette.

On to the fabled AQT. It looks so simple at first, but soon everyone knew that there is nothing simple about the Army qualification test. Despite little experience with a rifle, several of the shooters showed great promise with their first target. On to the third strike and the final redcoat of the day.

Much to their credit, every single shooter who attended Saturday came back for more on Sunday - Lord we love to see that! Another redcoat showed improvement from Saturday across the board. More squares, Ball and Dummy, and then a break for lunch, where the students were forced to suffer through PHenry's version of dangerous old men and brave women. Fortunately, Alkeford saved the day with his ever excellent rendition of David Lamson and the ammo wagon, followed by Mother Batherick.

The father and daughter team of Loren and Greta battled forth and back for the title of high score and the long ride home. In the end, Loren took the prize, but not by much, his fine daughter displaying tremendous grit and persistence. Joe and Rick worked hard, the results of which were made plain downrange. Braeden did very well, despite a catastrophic failure of his rifle. So well in fact, I felt compelled to ask him if he wished to shoot "Sally", a fine M1 Garrand built in 1957. Upon completion thereof, he was grinning from ear to year. Sally has that effect on most people.  ^-^

Danielle was able to attend both days this time, despite having to go straight from the range to work on Sunday. The girl has grit and I'll never say different! The father and son team of Brian and Duncan acquitted themselves very well, despite switching to borrowed rifles. Duncan turned in the high score of the day at 200 - knocking on the door of rifleman. Huzzaaah! Brian assured me they will be back and I will look forward to that.

I believe this was Kyle's second event and he did very well, even switching back and forth from a centerfire to a 22. He can be quiet, but make no mistake, he shoots very well and I have no doubt that he will make rifleman - most likely it is next event.

All in all the weekend was an unqualified success. The only thing that could have possibly made it better would've been more shooters. So for those who attended and those who are reading this, please help us get the word out. I would be delighted to assist anyone with promotional ideas. It really doesn't take much time and it is a worthy cause.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve our events. I know I speak for all of the instructors when I say that we don't do this for ourselves - we do it for Liberty. Huzzaaah!

In Liberty,
PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Engineer shooting

No mention of promotions? I sent Archie a green bucket.   O0 O0
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

PHenry

Well, I generally reserve such notices for our internal AAR, but Alkeford did in fact acquit hisself with distinction in his final shoot boss in training session and after some admin work in my office following the event, I did put him in for full shoot boss, along with the huge increase in pay. He will now earn three times what he made before. 0 x 3 = ??? Oh, wait, he still works for free! Sorry Alkeford.  :wb:

Also had two other promotions for Stoneknives and Charlie. Huzaaah!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata