News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Battle Road IBC, June 1-2, 2013

Started by TOMINCT, June 05, 2013, 02:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

The first of hopefully more Battle Road IBC's were held this past weekend at the Pelham Rod and Gun club on Saturday in  Pelham, NH. The club has a nice large indoor facility that made the teaching go very well. The A/C helped a little too! :cool2:

Ninsho, our Northeast SI did a great job in starting each POI that the IIT's were to use as a standard to provide their own spiel back for comment and correction. This was done in a small group setting by Ninsho, DoesItComeInBlack and yours truly. Groups were in pairs or three at a time and constantly rotated to keep it interesting to those involved.

The day ran on until supper time when a class on position problems was run a few times. The RH staff chose some standard and not so standard shooter's mistakes for the IIT crew to find, sort out and report back on. Some were one at a time, some had several errors at once. I think that we all learned of a new one performed by DoesItComeInBlack, more than a couple were befuddled by it!

Sunday morning, 8 am, meeting at Captain Parker's statue, Lexington Green. It really drives the point home by just standing there, taking it all in and seeing where our Forefathers stood. I can't come up with any words to describe it. If you haven't been there you should really try to someday.

The walk around the green pointing out the line in the sand, the tomb of those who fell that day, Jonathan Harrington's house and Buckman's Tavern was followed by the same small group setting as Saturday, this time with Luigi standing in for DoesItComeInBlack. After the heritage segment was discussed we moved down the road to the Paul Revere capture site, the North bridge from Major Buttrick's manse and the close with the third strike at Merriam's corner. The day was hot but windy, allowed us to finish the presentations with a little time to spare and take in Hartwell's tavern.

Not  a standard stop in general, but Hartwell's tavern is one of the buildings that has been least changed for the time and had our most learned park ranger there, known as Ranger Dave. He is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and looks forward to any and all AS attendees and members of the IT crew to discuss many aspects of the day. If you go, try to look him up!

Overall a great way to get minds open to more information to teach those who are wanting to know how this great country came into being.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

hbennett

I remember being moved the first time I heard the strikes at my first Appleseed, but  nothing can compare to hearing the strikes told at the exact spot where they happened!  Wow!

Thanks to all who had a hand in putting this together, especially Ninsho.  The Saturday classroom session made for a very long, but very rewarding day.   I learned a LOT!  Sunday, on Battle Road, well, that was an experience that is hard to put to words. Moving and inpiring seem, to me, to be the most appropriate.  Because the places can't tell the story, we Appleseeders need to take the responsibility of making the words heard.

Thanks for helping my fellow participants and me learn how to wake up those that are sleeping and to spread the alarm throughout the countryside.

Many thanks to Ninsho,DoesItComInBlack,TominCT, and luigi, for giving their time and sharing their experience. It was a rewarding and inspiring weekend.

-hbennett
Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

Zeus

Thanks to the Red Hats for putting this together, and to my fellow IIT's for the experience presenting on the markmanship side.   Quite a lot of learning packed into one day on Saturday.

Unfortunately Sunday was absorbed by a conference call for work, but I did make it out to Lexington, although too late to link up with the group.  Biking Battle Road was probably a much more pleasant experience than trodding it in a woolen uniform wearing "boot".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96691545@N03/sets/72157633890221070/

Thanks again,
jb

Grumpy1

This was an Awesome Bootcamp!!

Thanks to the Pelham Rod and Gun Club for the use of their beautiful facility.

And a BIG THANK YOU to our instructors, Ninsho, DoesItComeInBlack, Tominct,and Luigi, without your dedication events like this would not be possible.

The training was great, we were taught how to be more effective instructors.

Tominct and DoesItComeInBlack demonstrated some common and Not so common firing line errors, which we observed and tried  to troubleshoot.

Sunday started on Lexington Green where we were taught how to present The First Strike. It really put it into perspective doing The First Strike, right where it hapened.

We then went to Paul Reveres Capture Site, and then on to the North Bridge, where we were able to present The Second Strike.

Later in the afternoon ,we went to Merriams Corner, we were instructed on presenting The Third Strike, and Benedicition.

This was truly some Great instruction being able to visualize landmarks, really puts you into the story,and will definitly help telling it.

This was an excellent oppurtunity for IIT's  and I would highly reccommend it for anyone to take it in the future
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Grumpy1

Group Picture, sorry it took so long  :)
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson