News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gun Central-Miniseed- El Paso, Texas June 2, 2013

Started by Jerry Hall, June 03, 2013, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Hall

Dearest Appleseed Nation,

Our IIT Andy Fong stopped by the gun store on Sunday and ended up conducting a Miniseed with the owners children, at the indoor range, located in this facility.  :---  ..:..  :~

That's 7th Stepping!!! :bow:

Andy's AAR to follow.
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

AndyFong

After our regularly scheduled Appleseed event fizzled (no shooters, pre-registered, or walk-on), I stopped by the local gun shop to tell a prospective walk-on attendee that there would not be a Sunday session (he intended to at least attend our Sunday morning skill //technique review, before he had to open up the store).  He asked if would I be willing to teach his children, on Sunday afternoon.  I quickly agreed; I was already planning on instructing that weekend.

Some details were discussed:  A maximum of four shooters (limited by number of useable shooting lanes).  I'd need a classroom to lecture/discuss in (at the back of the shop).  I'd need a responsible non-shooting adult on the firing line, an extra set of eyes (not a problem).

At 2 pm Sunday, there were four shooters (girls, youngest age 8, eldest about 15), with rifles, ammo, ready to do some learning & ready to do some shooting.   They got the first three hours of what's usually taught at an Appleseed event (Safety/Safe Rifle/Line Commands, Redcoats, Six Step of Firing the Shot, Steady Hold Factors of the Prone, and use of the Loop Sling).

From 15 yards, two strings were fired, the 13-round Redcoat and 5 rounds on the center square, before we closed out (just plain run out of time).  The 8- and 10-year old cleared the 200 yd Redcoat; the 14- and 15-year old had groups on the paper, just not on the target.  On the squares, groups (4 of 5 shots) were about 1" to 1.5" for all the shooters (who were applying new techniques with new/unfamiliar rifles).   With additional strings of fire (more repetitions), group sizes would have definitely gotten smaller.

When I wasn't looking, the range staff snapped a couple of pictures: