News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dublin, GA June 1-2, 2013

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, June 03, 2013, 02:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!!  Our more than gracious hosts, MGGOA Gun Club, and our local "boots on the ground", John C., provided us an excellent venue! Complete with an air-conditioned clubhouse to which we retired for lunch and the telling of the Strikes, this event was primed for success. The weather forecast called for temperatures in the 90's for the entire weekend, so we braced for a sweltering weekend on the line.  However, with enough canopies to cover the entire firing line, generous cloud cover and a constant breeze, we were blessed with perfect conditions for the weekend's lessons. 

Dublin shooters and instructors (minus Rusty)
As always, the shooters are what make these events special, and this group was no different!  Joining us on the line were six Patriots including the husband and wife duo of Chris and Joan S., Guardian's mom and niece Melanie H. and Kiley B., Rusty S. from Vidalia and Michelle who lives at the range with her "Pop", Stump.  Ranging in age from 62 to 13, we caught a glimpse of the desire for Liberty to increase and Marksmanship to improve.

Once registration at the clubhouse was complete, we got under way with the opening remarks and Instructor introductions.  Joining this DOM Shoot Boss in the Instructor Cadre were Red Hat Guardian, Orange Hats Rusty and SureShotSpartan, who travelled 3 hours, 6 hours and 5 hours, respectively to make this event a success.  INSTRUCTORS!!  THANK YOU FOR YOUR DEDICATION TO LIBERTY'S CAUSE!!  Rusty started the history portion of the event off with a "bang" (pun intended) by telling the First Strike and after the safety briefing we moved to the line. Each shooter focused intently as we taught them the fundamentals of precision marksmanship, and as we progressed through the various drills, they did their very best to apply the information they were given.  The shooters continued their improvement throughout the day as spirits remained high, despite the persistence of the local gnat population! (Dublin is located below the "gnat line" in Georgia)

With Spartan (Second Strike) and Guardian (Third Strike) passionately continuing the story of April 19th, the participants were heavily "seeded" and settled in for their first crack at the AQT.  Although nobody shot a qualifying score in their only attempt of the day, confidence was running high, evidenced by the final Red Coat of the day.  As participants and instructors alike were looking forward to Sunday and the probability of welcoming a few new Riflemen to the family, we closed the day's events with fun, food and fellowship at the local Longhorn.  YUM!!

A new day dawned on the range and the confidence of Saturday was still in the air.  This confidence wasn't betrayed as Joan cleared the first Red Coat of the Day!! HUUZAH!!!  With several sessions of review and drills rounding out the morning, we adjourned for lunch where the participants were treated to the instructors taking turns telling Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women stories.  After we all said goodbye to OH Rusty (remember, he had quite a drive ahead of him!!) we moved back to the line to settle into the AQT "grind". 

On Sunday afternoon, we were reminded of a very important fact. Becoming a Rifleman is not easy!!  Several shooters seemed to be within striking distance for most of the afternoon however, they seemed unable to "get over the hump".  Despite the adversity created by two long days in the heat and, that's right, GNATS, this fine group of Patriots maintained a GREAT ATTITUDE and CONTINUED to PERSIST!!  Unfortunately, the day ended without anyone shooting a qualifying score BUT, I'm confident that everyone in this group can, with a little more practice, achieve their goal!
Thanks again to our host MGGOA Gun Club and thanks to SureShotSpartan for helping the ole Shoot Boss out on the AAR. (BTW, Spartan makes a dandy chauffeur.)

"SEE YOU ON THE LINE"!!! Your next opportunity in Georgia is next week in Elberton. I'll be there, will you?

Ramblinwreck

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Guardian

Thanks to all who attended. It was a pleasure to be in your midst. Your persistence was admirable! Perfect practice makes perfect. Dry firing by the numbers will help each of you towards your goal.

Please remember to 7th step and help us get attendance up at our next event at this fine location! Thanks to the MGGOA for hosting and assisting us.

SureShotSpartan

Thanks again to all that attended, both Shooters and Instructors!!  Your participation made the event truly memorable.  Most of my thoughts regarding this event have already been posted (LITERALLY!) so I'll post a few pictures for your viewing enjoyment.

We were all very thankful for the borrowed pop-ups and the partly cloudy conditions:

SB Wreck taking mental notes:

Wreck and Joan S. discussing the finer points of marksmanship:

Michelle N. and Rusty S. shooting squares:

Ramblinwreck and Guardian working the line:

Saturday afternoon's Line Boss Rusty:

Wreck instructing as Rusty models SHF for cross legged seated:

...again:

Rusty S. applying what he learned:

Thanks again Dublin!!!  I hope to see you soon!!!

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

DrJohn

Commendations to MGGOA and the gallant students who attended the recent Appleseed event. The pictures tell the story of an excellent group of instructors and a stalwart group of Patriot students learning the traditions of the Founders, in spite of the heat and the gnats. Remember to dry fire, to persist, and to share the story of your Appleseed experience with others. Thank to Ramblinwreck and the  tireless crew of instructors who made the long trip to Dublin. Huzza to all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Maximum Ordinate

This was a very fun shoot and I regret needed to leave at lunch on Sunday.  My thanks to Stumpy for hosting us.  This is a beautiful range with nice facilities, even camping on-site.

It was a pleasure working with shooters.  Every one really wanted to be there and were actively striving to learn!  Watching Chris and Joan coming back from the target line holding hands was very sweet.  I hope I'm that happy and in love at your age.   :)
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

csaw44

Had a great time in spite of the heat and gnats.  We had a great group of instructors and students for my second Appleseed. We (Joan and I) will be back!!!    Rusty...age is mostly a state of mind (if you can ignore the pains).