News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa Ga June 1-2 2013

Started by Morpheus, June 03, 2013, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morpheus

Thanks to some fine 7th Stepping, the GMSA Range at Toccoa filled up this weekend with 34 shooters! Well done Appleseeders! Like I said at the end of each day, "We (the instructors) can't do it without your help." We can't make Appleseed successful without the likes of the fine people who showed up on Saturday morning to begin their journey towards becoming a Rifleman. My thanks and heartfelt appreciation to you all!

Saturday dawned a beautiful day, and after our mandatory safety briefing we shot our first Redcoat target to begin down the path of learning rifle marksmanship, that skill so highly prized by our Founders. The morning was spent building a steady platform in the prone position and after seeing some significant improvement in group sizes we took a break for lunch and heard the 1st and 2nd Strike of the Match. The after lunch teaching modules seemed to pass by very quickly and we found ourselves already at the first stage of our first AQT when we took a break and heard the 3rd Strike of the Match. The shooters eagerly finished that first AQT and posted a second to finish off the day's shooting. Fatigue from the heat and sun was beginning to show on some of the shooters so we gathered under the pavilion where I closed out the day with some words from Patrick Henry and we then got to hand out some youth patches. This instructor loves to see so many families in attendance at these shoots. Thank you to Will C., Andy C., James G., MacKenna R., Patrick R., Shaughan R., Roy R., Norman R., Chandler M., Austin G., Cole D. and Mattie D. If the youths of America were even slightly inclined as these fine folks, our future in Liberty would be in good hands! Huzzah!

Sunday's outlook was a bit bleak. It did not rain at the range overnight but it seemed to all around. The morning clouds were a bit of relief from the sunburns of Saturday. Our morning was spent reviewing the safety rules and steady hold factors from the previous day. At the GMSA Range we cannot put rounds downrange until noon on Sunday, so we heard a long distance component from DrJohn and then took an early lunch and heard some Dangerous Old Men and Gallant Women and Children vignettes. We were then able to start squeezing rounds off at noon and continue the Rifleman Journey. DrJohn took some shooters to the long distance range to confirm that what works at 25m also works at 100m. They also got to ring some steel! The rains held off until about 2:30. Then the Heavens opened up. It rained.. . . . . . A Lot. We had two canopies that were barely adequate to keep the heads and shoulders dry of those standing under them, yet some shooters persisted and stayed on their mats for another AQT! As the mud and gravel started to overtake the shooting mats we concluded that it was time to put the equipment away. But in the midst of the mud and rain and wet rifles and wet clothing, one target was carefully retrieved from the target line. This target was delicate but distinguishable. After scoring and re-scoring, it was determined to be the target belonging to a new Rifleman! Cole D. scored a 225! (and in less than favorable conditions) Huzzah!

So many shooters were on that 190-205 edge. Persist! A Rifleman persists! Dry fire! Dry fire! And your return to an Appleseed will yield results that you seek. Look at the Appleseed schedule, sign up for another shoot and bring others with you!

Thank you, shooters, for making this weekend so worthwhile. Thank you fellow instructors for making this weekend as easy for a Shoot Boss as it can be.

Morpheus
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

TN.Chaplain

Thank you for an excellent learning opportunity.  Our family had a really good time and took away many things to practice prior to our next Appleseed.  I am sorry we did not return on Sunday.  Our oldest boy Josh, that was the lefty in our group, had just returned home from a deployment in the Middle East and as a family we changed our plans late Saturday night.  I have always been a history buff and thought that the "3 Strikes of the Match" were presented in a manner that truly helped paint the picture of the events.  It really got me when you shared about Nathan Hale and how he was only 21 years of age when he made that heroic stand for freedom.  As you spoke, I looked at my son Josh who at age 21 just return from standing in harms way for that same freedom we so richly enjoy.  Thanks to everyone that made us feel so welcome.
Patriot = An Everyday American That Has Had Enough!

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

goose

I don't want it to pass unnoticed that Nurse K., who departed on Saturday evening saying that she'd not return until the weather got cooler, persevered on Sunday and was at the edge of the envelope with at least a 190, and did not retire from the mud and soaking until the last AQT. 

The determination of all those who come and participate is exemplary, but the least favorable conditions are rarely ever complained about--only the disgruntled attitude of not being able to shoot one more time to get the Rifle Patch.  Coming back again, with a fresh attitude and start, might be all that is necessary to bring it all together, and, the Instructors will be anxiously awaiting the return of all of you.

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

DrJohn

What an honor and a pleasure to share an Appleseed weekend with such an enthusiastic and dedicated group. Like Morpheus, I was so gratified to see so many young people and so many families. What a great way to experience some "quality time" together. Like everyone else, I was deeply moved to listen to the recital of Patrick Henry's immortal "Liberty or death!" speech by Morpheus during our Saturday benediction. I shall look forward to seeing you all again, and hopefully with even more of your friends and acquaintances. So many of you are so very, very close to getting that coveted Rifleman patch. Persist, dry fire regularly, and please join us again soon.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

SureShotSpartan

It appears that Liberty's flame is burning brightly in Georgia!!

Well done! Well done, indeed!  O0
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

Roswell

It really was a great weekend and a great group of shooters. Their enthusiasm and persistence are to be commended. Keep it up as Morpheus said, that patch is attainable. Dry fire! Come back next time, bring a friend or two or a dozen  ;) A Rifleman persists!

Here are some pictures from Saturday. Including Morpheus's passionate re-telling of the Patrick Henry speech which moved us all very greatly. I took a semi-obscured picture of the youth patches being handed out. It doesn't truly capture the joy on all their faces as many couldn't wait to do it again!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Roswell

Here are some pictures from Sunday.  Again, the pictures do not do the subjects justice. The rain that came was torrential at times, but the shooters were not deterred and loved every minute of it.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24

PHenry

Great pics, but where's the smart phones - r TV shows? These Appleseed events would be much cooler if there was a big screen TV and Wi-Fi - and NOT!  :--- :--- :---
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Morpheus

In my haste to post this AAR, I failed to mention that the achievement of Cole's rifleman score came about when the conditions were less than ideal. He was soaked. We were soaked. Everything was soaked! The drenching rains had begun and the AQT had to be carefully lifted from the target backers so as to keep the delicate fibers intact. Not only that, but Cole has also exemplified the spirit of the Rifleman; he persists!! I was told that this was his 12th Appleseed and if any thoughts or feelings of exasperation were within him he never let them show. Well done, sir! O0

Cole also asked for, and received, an Orange Hat! He us now Georgia's newest IIT and is now known on the forum as BigJoe. Huzzah!

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Roswell

SureShotSpartan

Congrats BigJoe!! Welcome aboard!!
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams