News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rochester, IN June 1-2, 2013 AAR

Started by AuntieBellum, June 03, 2013, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

Rochester, Indiana...the famous Sand Burr Gun Ranch.  Winding roads back to a serene setting in the woods alongside the Tippecanoe River.  And the smell of gunpowder mixed with the smiles of Patriots.  What a great place to come together for an Appleseed event.

Now, every single time I go to Rochester there is precipitation.  Rain, snow, hail...something every time.  This weekend was no different.  We all survived Friday night's big storm (at least the half who showed up...I certainly hope that others are okay and didn't sustain serious damage from those storms), and dodged fallen trees, debris, and flooded roads to arrive at Sand Burr on Saturday morning.  My own home was only very slightly damaged, but after only three hours of sleep and looking at the mess that needed cleaned up as I pulled out of the drive, it would have been easy for me to stay home.  The day called for continuous thunderstorms with severe weather to roll in again in the afternoon.  I fully expected to arrive at Sand Burr, hang out with with a couple of other volunteers for an hour or two, and then leave when no one showed up.  I'm glad when I'm proven wrong.

Two hearty souls showed up ready for the weather.  They brought exactly what they needed and nothing more.  They were ready for the weather.  So what did we get on Saturday?  Mild temps, sunshine, and a lovely breeze.  Not a drop of rain.  The Patriots of long ago shining down on us as we worked to regain that spark for Liberty.  A perfect day to be on the range.  Our two students - Owen and Andy - did a brilliant job.  They listened and absorbed the history - and could take a good stab at those four questions we pose at each event, and their marksmanship improved.  Father and son on the line, they stepped and shifted their way through the lessons and through their first AQT. 

Sunday brought us a clear forecast and...rain.  But it didn't stick around for long, and we pushed on through.  While the day ended early (did your team win the game, Owen???), we hammered out a Rifleman - congratulations to Andy for his 210!!!  We might have some pictures of that special moment.   ;D  Owen made some serious improvements and doubled his Saturday AQT score on Sunday.  His groups were showing great promise, and I bet after a few practice sessions in the backyard, he'll be right there with good ol' dad.

So thank you to everyone who came out to Sand Burr this weekend.  I had a great time.  I always do when I'm on the Appleseed trail, but this was really great.  I look forward to seeing Andy, Owen, Bryant, and .22 Boo Hoo Guru again soon.  Pics to come later.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

anifong

We had a great time both days, though I have to say my eyes were flat worn out from those little 400 yard targets on Sunday!  After lunch and some ice cream Owen napped on the way to Lafayette (I was driving within the speed limit the whole way  ;)), he woke up refreshed and he got a goal in his team's only win of the season - a Rifleman persists, right? 

Once we got home he loaded up his 25rd mag with some Winchester M-22s, headed to the back yard and didn't have any issues with his gun, so along with some more cleaning of the bolt we'll try those with some backyard practice and see if we can make it out to another one very soon.  It was absolutely worth it to us coming out that dreary Saturday morning and I'm grateful to you all for sticking with us for the weekend.  The personalized instruction may have spoiled us, though!

Bryant

What a wonderful weekend for Appleseed!  The weather was good, the range is great, but the shooters were best. 

Anifong, it was great to see the positive, attentive attitude you both displayed throughout the instruction on both days.  Congratulations on your rifleman patch.  You paid attention to the instruction and put it together.  Sorry to say it, but it was fun dousing you with cold water  :)   

Owen did great with his instruction as well and his scores kept climbing.  It was good to see such a young fella patiently keep working at the fundamentals building it into a solid foundation.  I am sure that with more Appleseed, he will earn his patch as well.  Thank you both for risking the potentially bad weather, you made it a wonderfully pleasant weekend to volunteer. 
Also on INGO as MtnBiker6510
-----------------

Bryant

I know you're probably busy, but lets see some of those pics  O0

:pics:
Also on INGO as MtnBiker6510
-----------------

AuntieBellum

And finally....pictures!!!

Prone instruction:

Prepping mags:

Carding the sights:

No pressure, Owen. No one is watching.   ;)

I love to see the Rifleman's Bubble in action:

And our new Rifleman!

With a 210!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot