News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

South Hampton, NH - Prep School Seed No. 4

Started by CaptMac, May 28, 2013, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptMac

The Stateline Field and Stream Club in South Hampton, NH welcomed back some students from Phillips Exeter Academy and a few Appleseed instructors this past Sunday.  While the event was short, shorter than most single day Appleseeds, it was a great time. 

This is the fourth time that students of the shooting club from Phillips Exeter have received instruction from Appleseed Instructors.  Most recently, another events was only two weeks prior, but we had only one shooter that did both events.  Three of the other students had been to one of the first two events. 

The students arrived at the range at about 9:15 in a bus driven by a member of the faculty.  Paniolo, zeus and myself has arrived before 8:00, and began to set up.  The rifles were loaners provided by instructors, and we also brought mats, tarps, magazines, slings, etc.  But the students brought the ammo.  As soon as the students arrived, we learned that they needed to leave about 2:30, so we got down to it quickly and accelerated the pace.  Much of the day passed in a blur, but we were productive.  By noon, we had covered almost all of the basic points of instruction and soon headed to lunch, provided by the range.  Stateline treated us all well.  Paniolo went with the shooters at lunch and covered both the first and second strikes, then we got back to the range, completed the POI and shot and four AQTs, the final Red Coat then had a very short third strike and a benediction.  As fast as things went, the students get it, the get what we are talking about, and they understand the heritage about which we speak!

While cleaning up, a little scoring of some targets was also done, and we discovered something.  The shooting club had its first Rifleman.  I was a little stunned, because I thought we'd never get one because of how little time these students have to practice.  But, Harry changed my thinking.  With a 212 on the final AQT he made Rifleman. 

I always enjoy Appleseeds, but these events are very special.  We have a group of students show up from one of the best prep schools in the country, we get a nice range which makes things easy, and we seem to get our message through to some nice and smart teens. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.