News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru Memorial Day Instructor KD AAR

Started by gratefuldog, May 27, 2013, 11:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gratefuldog

What a day! I'm beat!

For those unaware, we had a Instructor Only(-ish) Known Distance shoot here in Piru today.  'Hats' of all colors from San Diego to Ventura were in attendance, and a good time was had by all.

Memorable bits:

- A bunch of folks shot qualifying "rifleman" scores @ full distance.
- "Range Taxi" pick-up got stuck, and had to be pulled out.
- Many folks got the "Piru 1k Club" patch for ringing that 1000 yard (3.6 MOA) gong.  (And yes, it was windy!!)
- Ventura Steve related a story (hopefully to be related soon elsewhere in this forum) about an odd encounter with the Law.
-And many more!!

Special Thanks to:
-Mike Thompson, for the use of his rangehttp://www.pirugunrange.com/Piru_Gun_Range/Welcome_Page.html
-GoneJohnny Fisher, for gracefully shoot-bossing and inventing a course-of-fire, despite having zero time to prepare.
-Mr. B., for the use of his target-backer and shooter-hauling truck.
-Cam Jr., for his masterful preparation of lunch. Seriously, this was awesome.
-Cowgirl Ducky, for watching the line most of the day when you really should have been shooting
-Kool Aid, for buying the grub,

And Everyone!
What a great day!

gonejohnny

Hey Everyone,
This group shot only shows some of our attendees, as a few had to split towards the end of the day. If you took any pictures, please post them here. Also, I lost my notes on who is newly qual'd for what COF. If I remember correctly (which isn't likely):

KD: MrB / V / Jeremy

1K - Woburn210 / Gratefuldog / Gunman Doc / MrB / V / Ventura-Steve

Please chime in here or PM me on who I've forgotten and we'll get the list updated.

- GoneJohnny

V @ 400:

MrB's new brass polishing target taxi:

m1jerm

Wow, I look huge in that group photo!
Psychdoc looks like his face is going to explode with that grin! Big thanks to him for the loaner sling, I would not have made the score if he had not spotted me one. I think some of his skill rubbed off it onto me there for that first AQT.

Thanks everyone for all the hard work in setting this up and getting it done. I will say it was a heckuva lot easier to see the gong in the spring/summer afternoon than it was in the Fall last year. It was also nice to see that some of that info from the KD class stuck with me, if only in the form of the cheatsheet I was smart enough to bring along. Everything changed from last year, I was able to fine tune my come ups specific to the Scout M1A versus the standard. Time well spent!

Finally, it was nice to reaffirm the reason we were out there on memorial day, especially with Ducky telling us about her new employment and Steve's story about the fact that Appleseed is appreciated and recognized by people, especially those that know the value of the skills and ideals it covers.

MR B (549)

I had a great time yesterday. Thanks Cam for doin the grillin ...and to KoolAid  for supplying the grub. The food was outstanding. Thanks to Bob for letting me use his Swedish  AG 42 B for the 1 k. That thing was beautiful. It's wonderful when we can get together and shoot. Thanks to Johnny for calling the line. And to all those who helped me get past the 100 yard line  :sos:..........in my truck.  :bow:

Great seeing everyone. 

B
In a time of universal deceit,
telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell