News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boaz, KY May 25-26

Started by LesMoore, May 26, 2013, 10:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesMoore

WOW, what a weekend!  This Appleseed probably had the most determined-to-make-rifleman shooters that I've ever witnessed and that determination would pay off big time before the weekend was up.  Saturday had 7 total shooters, 6 preregistered, and one walk-on.  After getting all of the formalities out of the way, and making sure everyone was on the same page and understood the safety rules and precautions, we shot a red coat, but not before hearing DonD give strike one.  Strike 2 was given at lunch, and strike 3 was heard during a late afternoon break, both by imadentist who did an excellent job.  I'd like to make special note of what an excellent example Bbag gave for the safety rules.  It was unique and fashioned in such a way to leave the four rules ingrained in the minds of the students.  Results of the Red Coat were ok, but definitely left room for improvement.  Most of this day was spent giving instruction, and then practicing what we had learned on the squares target.  The day ended with the finish of one AQT resulting in one rifleman, Danny,  with a score of 225!  The day was a warm one and all shooters agreed that it best to go home (it was 5pm) and start again the next morning.

On day 2, 5 shooters returned and we started off shooting another Red Coat target to gauge our progress.  Many more hands were raised as we called out, "who got all 3 in the XXX target?"  We then shot ball and dummy, then the two worst enemies in America, the couch and TV targets!  Finally, we were off and running on that AQT grind!  :~ It wasn't long until we got another rifleman, Kevin with a score of 210.  (It would have been sooner, but JPL can't score targets worth a flip #), and it was discovered that he forgot to double the last stage when he scored it!)  So, don't give JPL your target to score!!! LOL  Within a couple more AQT's, Butch made Rifleman.  That gave us 3 out of five shooters on the second day to score rifleman.  A break was in order and we took that time to tell about some dangerous old men.  After the break, those who scored rifleman went over to the longer range to try their hand at making come-ups.  It was a success and they found that it took a 5moa come-up at 100 yds, and a 20 moa come-up for 200 yds with a .22 rifle.  While gone, Jeremy and Hannah both scored riflemen on the AQT's!  All shooter's made progress throughout the day and could shoot consistently.

Thank you all for such a GREAT weekend.  I'm sure there are only a handful of Shoot Boss', if any, that can say all of the shooters on the second day scored rifleman.  What makes this even more special is that it was my first time to Shoot Boss.  However, the story of this great weekend doesn't end there, thank you for all the hats that were handed out!  Butch, Kevin, and Danny for taking orange hats, and Hannah for taking a blue hat.
^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

I'd like to give a special thanks to DOND for guiding me to this point and being such a great mentor.  I could not have gotten here without you.   :bow:

Pics to come!

Unbridled Liberty

Well done Leslie, well done.   O0

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

connibear

Wow, sounds like it was a great time. Congrats to all the rifleman and riflewomen. Kevin I knew you could do it. Thankyou to all who stepped up for an orange hat and blue hat.
Congrats Lesmoore on your first shootboss event.

Ben
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

ChuckS

Well done everybody!  Huzzah!

dond

LesMoore is right. This was a great weekend. And it is all because of her. She has been a terrific student from the beginning; always an avid learner, and always asking questions on how to improve. And I have seen her interactions with shooters and how well she nurtures them and analyzes their problems. And you can see the results above. I would rate the competence of this beginning SB at least equal to or better than any SB in the program. And that includes myself. Great job Leslie.  O0

And whether or not JPL can count,  ::)  he is a top notch instructor and the best I've seen at working with individual shooters to get the best out of them.  O0  And on top of that, he is a tremendous helper and supporter of Leslie, as a good husband should be.  @)

All of the instructors did a superb job. And as LesMoore said, bbagg gave a tremendous presentation of the safety rules, the best I have seen. imadentist is giving very good history presentations, and he and Kevin are actively pursuing new ranges in Missouri; a place where more ranges, and instructors, are sorely needed.

More should be said about Danny too, who was the first to earn his Rifleman Score. For one thing, he scored much higher after some rifle problems were resolved. He leads the high power discipline at the Boaz club and is himself a highly competitive shooter. He shot better than a 3 MOA group at 200 yards with the .22 and said that was the farthest he had shot a .22. He also said that the Appleseed instruction was the best that he had ever received. We are especially pleased that he was anxious to take an OH.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

imadentist

Even though I live in Southern Illinois I have never spent much time in Kentucky.  Let me say this: I like it.  The weather was beautiful both days with a slight breeze and plenty of sun...you could not tell it by looking at my Lilly white legs but that is another story.  We had a really great bunch of students...(seems to be a recurring theme at AS) and Leslie wasted no time getting everything going.  As has been said already BBAG did a very unique and more importantly EFFECTIVE safety lecture which I plan on "borrowing" in the future.  DonD did the strike 1 which was great, but I was a little nervous to give ST2 and ST3 following his polished performance.

It was my pleasure to work with all the instructors and students but I especially want to thank DonD and Miss Sarah for all their hospitality, as well as, JP and Leslie for the care, understanding, and instruction they provided for my daughter Hannah.  You guys went way beyond what could reasonably be expected and for that I can only say THANK YOU.   :bow:

Russ

JPL

It was a great weekend!  So great, I wish we could do another one next weekend. 

As Leslie said above, these students were the most motivated group that I've ever worked with.  Every single one came expecting to score rifleman and accepted no less.  That makes being an instructor fun and we get to go home with a tremendous sense of accomplishment. 

I look forward to working with all the new Orange hats in the near future.

Don, I just finished trimming our chamber flags so they fit better!

duckcreek51

I hope that I am speaking on behalf of all the shooters that attended the shoot this Memorial Day weekend by saying that it gives me great pride that I can honor the men and women who gave their lives for our nation by earning my Rifleman patch. 

I would like to give special thanks to LesMoore (shoot boss), DonD (master shoot boss), JPL, Bbagg, and Imadentist for their excellent instruction.  Don't give JPL a hard time.  In fact, his miscalculations on adding my score made me work a little harder to earn it.  A Rifleman persists.  I will proudly take a 210, 212, and a 215 :---

Bbagg and I would also like to give a special thanks to the Kentucky Regulator Gun Club for allowing us to camp on site for this event.

I am looking forward to progressing as an instructor in training.  Meeting and working with all of the instructors and shooters at both Houston, MO and Boaz, KY has been a great experience. 
"As for this damned old fox, the Devil himself could not catch him."

Ramblin' Wreck

Sounds like you had a great shoot. I'm looking forward to getting back up that way to work another one soon.

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

SureShotSpartan

Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

bbagg

Many thanks for the kind words regarding my 1st IIT experience.

A tip of the orange hat to JPL for the personal instruction to Sunday's LB.(me)

Gotta echo duckcreek51, no better weekend than Memorial Day to step up and score Rifleman!

Kentucky Regulator's GC is a beautiful range, didn't want to go home. Thanks Joe for letting us camp.

I think my favorite moment of the weekend was when Hannah discovered the value of a good trigger:
PRICELESS!
It was so great to see her decide to keep going Sun. PM. It was getting hot, she was fading, JPL was
right there by her side coaching, and she shoots a 208. When she heard her score she said "No way!"
Thats when I saw a flash of fire in her eyes, I thought, "Here we go". Sure 'nuff, 214! You go girl!

Jeremy also struggled with the heat, but more so with sciatica pain. He knocked on the door all day,
205, 206, 207, so close. You should have seen his stage 1 group on the last AQT, 1.25"- 1.5" all 5's.
Stages 2&3 tight as well, by stage 4 he shot a 221! Way to PERSIST Rifleman.

Thanks to all for a great AS, gonna be hard to beat this one, but I guess we will just have to persist.

Why do they call him Body Bag?

Well, you know how; "friends help you move, real friends help you move the bodies"? He always brings a bag... just in case! John Abbott

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

RAIN: An atmospheric phenomenon induced by the scheduling and holding of an Appleseed shoot.

WIND: See above.

JLA

I just wanted to thank all the instructors for a great weekend!  It was great meeting all of you!

We were fortunate to have some pretty good weather for both days, and, despite the painful sciatica mentioned by Bbag, I had a really great time.  My father (Butch) did as well, and he even surprised me by taking an orange hat.  I didn't see that coming!

I also wanted to be sure to thank everyone, and especially Don & Sarah, for all their help in finding solutions to overcome the difficulties associated with shooting from a wheelchair.  You guys were a big help!  And congratulations to LesMoore for her extremely successful first experience as Shoot Boss!  Not only was it a great shoot overall, but with the excellent training & encouragement from her, DonD, JPL, Bbagg, and Imadentist everyone who attended this weekend earned their Rifleman patches!!!

I really hope to be able to attend the next Boaz shoot on August 31!

Jeremy

P.S.  Remember..."There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count & those who can't!"  ;)

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."  - James Madison
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." – George Washington

"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." – John Adams

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain  the right to keep and bear arms is, at last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" – Thomas Jefferson

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." – James Madison

imadentist

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200562126888171&set=a.4340087152889.158739.1608738829&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn2%2F970538_10200562126888171_783037218_n.jpg&size=960%2C720

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200562135288381&set=a.4340087152889.158739.1608738829&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-frc3%2F294132_10200562135288381_1102121354_n.jpg&size=720%2C540

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200562117207929&set=a.4340087152889.158739.1608738829&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash4%2F378095_10200562117207929_18423942_n.jpg&size=720%2C540

this is an experiment in posting pictures but it does not seem to be working.  I am going to post and see if that changes things but it does not work when I click preview.....sorry but I will figure it out.

russ

definitely not working...sorry again...before anybody suggests to read the thread about posting pictures please be informed...I read it already many times....the screen shots I get do not look exactly like what is pictured plus computers do not like me very much! :wb:

Mutti

Quoteplus computers do not like me very much

...but Attendees do! You'll be an old pro in no time.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Ramblin' Wreck

I gave up trying to do the inserting. I now upload all mine to PhotoBucket and then do a link to the AAR from there. You can see how it works on the latest AAR from Rising Fawn, Georgia on May 22-23.

Ramblinwreck

Quote from: imadentist on May 29, 2013, 10:14:34 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200562126888171&set=a.4340087152889.158739.1608738829&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn2%2F970538_10200562126888171_783037218_n.jpg&size=960%2C720

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200562135288381&set=a.4340087152889.158739.1608738829&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-frc3%2F294132_10200562135288381_1102121354_n.jpg&size=720%2C540

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200562117207929&set=a.4340087152889.158739.1608738829&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash4%2F378095_10200562117207929_18423942_n.jpg&size=720%2C540

this is an experiment in posting pictures but it does not seem to be working.  I am going to post and see if that changes things but it does not work when I click preview.....sorry but I will figure it out.

russ

definitely not working...sorry again...before anybody suggests to read the thread about posting pictures please be informed...I read it already many times....the screen shots I get do not look exactly like what is pictured plus computers do not like me very much! :wb:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

imadentist

This is a wonderful group of Americans who "know very well what they are about"

Dond tells everyone what works at 25 works at any distance..what do you know...he is right!

Our group of new Riflemen...Leslie had 100% success...I just hope she can do better next time! :bow:

more to follow if this works

Russ

imadentist

Patch for Jeremy

patch for Hannah

patch for Willard (please forgive if I messed up on your name)

Patch for uncle Dan

Patch for Kevin

orange hat for Kevin

orange hat for uncle Dan

We call this an Applenap!  Not sure what the SHF's are for this position but as soon as we codify them I will ask Dond to make a new section in the manual. ;D

Leslie explaining the AQT

JP explaining trigger reset drill

Check out those groups...QUICKLY, QUICKLY

just like at home...Leslie is the boss!

Center up for the 6 steps.

BBAG and Hannah listen intently

Dond weaving a masterful strike 1

Hannah on her horse Misty...mounted Appleseed anyone?

Elmer Fudd's deranged rifleman cousin...Polarbear....he was not at Boaz but I could not resist!

JPL

Great pics!  Thanks for posting them.

JLA

This is primarily intended as an experiment in picture posting, but, to keep it relevant, here's a pic of the rifle I used at my first Appleseed rifle (not the one I made Rifleman with though).

It's a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 MOE with a BSA 'Sweet .22' 3-9x40mm Scope & GDT offset sights.  In the pic it's also shown with the Grip Pod it normally wears, although that was obviously replaced with a GI web sling for the Appleseed shoot.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." – George Washington

"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." – John Adams

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain  the right to keep and bear arms is, at last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" – Thomas Jefferson

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country." – James Madison

JLA