News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA May 18 - 19 2013

Started by V, May 26, 2013, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Folks you missed a great one this weekend. Corona range was all dried out, temperatures were balmy. Not many more of these before the summer sweltering begins.

Had a lot of no-shows and no walks ons with only 10 pre-regs which is low for Corona. Can only assume that continuing ammo shortages are putting people off. As I told the shooters to tell their friends, we can shoot ammo conserving courses of fire and do more dry practice in prep periods so don't be put off by the usual 500 rounds per weekend advertising from previous years. Also, bring what ammo you can and make good use of it rather than not come at all.

Of our 5 shooters this weekend 1 was a repeat AS/Rifleman the rest were new to AS and new to field position rifle shooting.

We had a great weekend of shooting and sharing stories.

Chuck, our repeat rifleman re-qualified with a different rifle and left with a new appreciation of cross-legged sitting position ;)

Ron was our most improved shooter, originally signed up only for Sat but enjoyed it so much and could taste the Rifleman score so he came back Sunday but sadly plateau'd out below 200.

Brandon a novice with rifle and having problems with the stock sights finally hit his stride on a borrowed LTR, and once the muscle memory took over from the "thinking through the lists/factors/numbers" ended the weekend looking like a pro in all positions. Again, hit the plateau but with dry practice at home should patch at his next AS.

John also struggled on Sat drinking from the firehose but again once settled in on Sunday. His in-law Brett could only make the Sunday. If they both make another 2-day AS they should be able to put it all together.

Thanks to Psych Doc, Gunman Doc, Athena 1775, Jester and Elfstone for helping everyone along their trail.

Cheers
V

Athena 1775

I was only able to attend on Saturday, but I had a great time!  We had some great and teachable attitudes in our new students, and our returning "familiar face" (Chuck).  I enjoyed working with all of you, sharing a little history, and watching your groups get better and better throughout the day.

:pics:

Without further ado, the pictures!

The Front of our Nifty A-Frame

The Back of our Nifty A-Frame

The Morning Safety Briefing

Teaching the Steady Hold Factors for Prone

Brandon in the Prone Position

Chuck in the Prone Position

John in the Prone Position

Ron in the Prone Position

Redcoat Cookies!!

Jester presenting some History at Lunchtime

The Line shooting in the Prone Position

Sitting!

More Sitting!

Chuck in the Standing Position

John and Brandon in the Standing Position

Ron in the Standing Position

Special thanks to our Instructors and Shoot Boss!  And, to all of our shooters: you guys are awesome... I especially appreciate your commitment to keeping our shoot safe, and your valiant efforts to finish off all of the Redcoat cookies! :)

Hope to see you all again soon,
Jen (Athena 1775)
"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"