News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Liberty Indiana, May 18-19 2013

Started by yellowhousejake, May 20, 2013, 11:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

I like events on private land, maybe it's the rural feeling. Maybe it's the idea that we can shoot rifles safely anywhere we want in this country without permission from a King. I dunno, I just like it. AA Optics opened up a corner of the Alcorn family farm to five willing Americans and a Appleseed happened.

Saturday started wet with a heavy dew and cool breeze, much like an April morning a few hundred years ago. A target line was setup, a canopy raised, a firing line marked, and we got down to business. Our intrepid students took all the instruction willingly, tried hard to do everything we asked, as we made it through all the primary instruction and three strikes with time for a slow AQT, our first of many. Everyone was encouraged to get a good hot shower, hydrate, and a good nights sleep.

Sunday dawned foggy, thick fog and a cool breeze. This would not be a sign of later in the day. We shot a five square as we recovered the instruction from Saturday and Spitfire worked with our Sunday only student to bring him up to speed. Then we started on the AQTs.

Everyone surprised us by showing Marksman scores regularly! Positions were good, some trigger fingers were showing a mind of their own, and transitions were very safe. I had hoped our scores would climb during the day but as the sun got warmer the scores leveled out. Now this was the first really warm day this year, and even with folks hydrating you could see the toll it was taking. But not a complaint. We stayed with the AQTs, Spitfire setting a nice easy pace, and we got a Rifleman with Alan shooting a 211 and backing it up with a 232 as he calmed down and concentrated on the fundamentals.

We finished up the day with a little lesson on Symbols of Liberty and some shots with a M1.

Mary and Scott, it was a pleasure to have you on the line. Adam, you are a fast learner, continue practicing what you learned on Sunday and your next Appleseed will be a winner. Kyle do you ever not smile? Everytime I looked you had a grin on your face like a kid in a toy store  ;D

Many thanks to Alan and the Alcorn family for hosting Appleseed this weekend, and thanks IndyGunWorks for showing up and helping to clear the line and score targets, it was much appreciated.

Yellowhousejake

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AAOptics

I guess this is as good a place to make my first post on this forum as any.  Im Alan, and I cant thank yellowhouse, and spitfire enough for making the trip out.  This was my first Appleseed, but defiantly not my last, or the last one on my family farm.  Its a wonderful experience that everyone should try (of course I'm guessing you folks already know that).

Dave should be a history teacher.  I'm normally not a history fan at all, but I found listening to him talk about somthing he was so passionate about like reading a book you cant wait to see whats going to happen on the next page.

spitfire51

Had a great weekend at this range's inaugural event.  Was a pleasure working with all who attended.  Kinda wish that fog had stuck around a little while longer on Sunday, it did a nice job holding off the heat for the morning.  Nevertheless, everyone stuck it out well throughout the weekend, showing great improvement from those first redcoats.  Alan, congrats on the Rifleman score, I have a feeling it won't be too long before you do it with those open sights as well.  Adam and Kyle won't be too far behind joining you in the Rifleman ranks, both of them were knocking on the doorstep.  Mary, I hope you get your scope mount issues sorted out, I'm glad you and Scott were able to join us.

Looking forward to many more events at Alan's range in the future.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

Hop

Ah, I was wondering how this shoot turned out.  Congrats on the patch Alan!  Time for a KD @ Atterbury I think.   O0