News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tusco, New Philadelphia, Ohio, May 18-19,2013 AAR

Started by LindaFromAppleCreek, May 20, 2013, 10:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LindaFromAppleCreek

Three shooters joined us on Saturday morning at beautiful Tusco Rifle Club in hilly New Philadelphia. After the safety briefing and preliminaries were done, we hit the range for a Redcoat. Routine, you might think. This one was unusual. One of our shooters, a first time Appleseed participant,  cleared the target, including a fairly decisive head shot. Throughout the weekend, the Redcoat would be cleared each time it was shot, and not always by the same shooter.

Two of our students had very new rifles, one being assembled during the first prep period. The students all took instruction well. Throughout the day Saturday, groups were shrinking as NPOA and following the basics all "clicked". The student who cleared the first Redcoat was willing to try shooting our way, which, believe it or not, improved his performance. By Saturday evening, one AQT was done, and Derrick was a Rifleman.

Sunday proved to be another great day. Susan, on her fourth Appleseed, was lent a rifle with a scope, and was bribed to try a loop sling. An iPod touch would be hers if she scored 150 using a loop sling. (What parents will do.....and yes, I am the parent...) She quite handily proved she is capable by scoring a personal high of 184.

Scott and Dave also showed steady progress throughout the day, and left Sunday evening wanting to come back for more. I have no doubt I will see them at another Appleseed.

All our students were interested in the history, and asked great questions, sometimes requiring us to break out Paul Revere's Ride to get the answers right. The "hook" of marksmanship worked--we got them interested in the Heritage.

The only downside to the whole weekend was that Tusco is capable of 40 or so on the line, and we didn't even come close. I am grateful for those that came, and hope we can fill the line at this wonderful facility the next time we have an event.

aka Mustang380gal

Edheler

Thanks for starting a thread Linda! Between unpacking, working and trying to tame my knee high grass I was worried about writing up the event. Your did a great job.

I really want to thank our four shooters. It was great instructing all of you because you were great students. I hope you all are starting to feel recovered. :)

Congrats to Derrick for scoring rifleman on the first AQT he ever shot with a 222 and clearing 3 of 4 of his redcoats over the weekend!

I don't think we're going to have to wait long for Dave and Scott to score rifleman. You both made great progress.