News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bunnell, FL May 18-19, 2013

Started by FLawyer, May 20, 2013, 04:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLawyer

A small band of patriotic Americans gathered at the Flagler Gun Club in Bunnell, FL on Saturday morning to participate in an Appleseed® clinic.  Dix was resolute and determined in his quest for a Rifleman™ Patch as he showed up for his second Appleseed.  Rino and Debra LeBel brought 9 year old Mathew.  For various reasons the rest of the pre-registrations did not attend.  With shooters outnumbered by the instructors, we set out on the course of instruction.  After introductions, safety briefing and safe rifle instruction, the Redcoat target showed we had much room for instruction.  We unleashed the fire hose of instruction and covered the Six Steps, Sling Use, Solid Position and NPOA.  A lengthy dry-practice session with an instructor working one-on one with each shooter showed results when we finally started shooting the squares target.  After a couple of squares had been shot, the concepts of Talking Targets and IMC were covered and sight adjustments were made.  As the groups shrank to 6 -8 MOA, we broke out the Greencoats and introduced the Standing and Sitting positions, transitions and magazine changes. Bruce gave the First Strike at lunch and after lunch we continued drills working on transitions and magazine changes.  Tom gave the Second Strike before the first AQT of the afternoon. I gave the Third Strike before the second AQT and everyone pitched in to retire Chris' tired Orange Hat.  In spite of the heat there was a definite bounce to Chris' step when wearing that shiny new Red Hat. While no Riflemen were revealed on Saturday, Rino and Debra did make it out of boot camp.  Mathew was so pumped he was begging his parents to come back on Sunday (they had only signed up for Saturday).  We resumed on Sunday and the LeBel's were back to shoot on Sunday.  We were joined by prior attendee and Rifleman Jeremy (active duty Navy).  We quickly reviewed Saturday's instruction and shot our first AQT of the day before lunch.  Several Instructors got some trigger time due to the shooter - instructor ratio.  Tomblin requalified shooting right-handed (his prior Rifleman patch was shot left handed), Tom requalified and Chris requalified using tech-sights (his prior Rifleman patch was with a scope).  By mid afternoon the heat and humidity had the heat index at over 105.  INFERNOSEED!!! Jeremy requalified several times and is now eligible for an Orange Hat.  Perhaps after his coming deployment we can persuade him.   After the KD presentation Rino, Mathew and Dix went over to the 100 yd range to prove that what works at 25 M also works at 100 yds.  Dix used his M1A and actually shot a smaller MOA group at 100 than at 25M.  If you can shoot it a 25M you can shoot it at 100 or more. 
A great weekend, cut a little short by the absolute toad-choker storm that completely flooded the range.
I am sure others will add comments and pictures.  I took some pictures which I will post as soon as I can get them off the camera. This is my first AAR as a Shoot Boss so I am sure that I have left something out.
Thanks to Bruce, Janet, Tom, Teresa, Ben, Chris, Rick and Evelyn for all the support and assistance.
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

Sly223

Great Job Glenn! ;) O0 :bow: ^:)^ ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Tomblin

Tom made a great target backer, Chris before his promotion...

Tom's versatile, target backer & historian!

Good thing we saw it coming...

I don't recall parking in a pond, almost didn't make it off the field...

How many Shoot Bosses does it take to clean a t-post?

http://tomblins.com/201305BUN/IMG_0587.MOV

Prof. C.J.

Tomblin:

Hilarious!  All that clip needs to become comedic gold is to be speeded up slightly with the Benny Hill music playing over it....
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken