News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tallahassee, Fl. Isaac Davis Memorial Range 18-19 May

Started by Engineer shooting, May 19, 2013, 09:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

What a great weekend for Liberty. Right off the bat Brian cleared the Redcoat to start the day and then shoot 241 on the first AQT and then 246 for his best  AQT of the weekend. Scott was steadily tightening those groups hope he returns and earns that patch.  Brian received the first Riflemans  patch awarded at the Isaac Davis Memorial Range and now the first Orange hat earned.

First new Orange hat at Isaac Davis Memorial Range

Drones were watching
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Tomblin

Great job  Brian  and  a  heart felt thank you and great job to all who attended and worked! The weather was warm but at least dry!!
Lucky Lori

AdobeWalls

This was a good shoot on a nice, clean, pretty, and well-appointed range. Not one muzzle sweep in two long, hot days. Splendid performance by shooters, including plenty of adaptive improvisation. Whatever it takes! The Shoot Boss's hospitality was gracious, parking was generous and shaded all day. It was an unpressured environment and we experimented with multiple skill-building targets. If an instructor was going to contribute days to an Appleseed event, this is the place to do it. No nightlife in Jefferson County FL to distract a determined shooter, that's for sure, and we're all grateful for that!
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

Sly223

Adobe walls is that you on the line in tan&brown? For a moment I thought that was a State trooper then I realized that was a shadow not a black stripe.
I deffinatly need to get way up there for an event 11 hr drive in the same state I think I might  fly at least I won't have to march for the chance to die.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

BrianB

Thanks to everyone that made this event happen.  I had a great time and enjoyed the opportunity to fine tune what I picked up at my first Appleseed.  Can't wait to do it again.

-Brian 

Tack Driver

Hello all. I'll let this serve as an intro to the forum as well I guess. My name is Scott. I attended this shoot (in part) with my girlfriend.

My journey to Appleseed was a little different than most I would suspect. I first learned of the RWVA while on vacation in Boston. The "Cradle of Liberty" called my name for years and I finally dropped the coin and made the time to go. After a few days of soaking in the history in Boston, I rented a car and drove up to Lexington and Concord. No way was I going all the way up there and not visit the North Bridge, Mariam Corner, Fiske Hill and the rest of Battle Road. This is where the RWVA entered my scope. I learned of it actually talking to a local history lover while standing on Lexington Green. Of course, Appleseed came up in conversation and it's been on my list since. I was ecstatic to find a course local, and let me tell you; I was not disappointed!

These instructors, I tell you; you know they are there for the cause and nothing else. I left the weekend not only impressed with the curriculum and the people, but with the ideal that you can "enlighten" somebody to their duty as citizens. I've always had it. I thought it was ingrained in people or they were just lost. Appleseed tells me that even if that is true, some people will just be damned if they won't do their best to show people their heritage and how Liberty is won and kept. I intend to be a part of this, to help people to choose to be citizens over being subjects. Not sure how just yet, but I will be.

Now, for the shooting. I'm horribly disappointed. My instruction was top notch, I can't blame the equipment, the curriculum, or the conditions. What does that leave? ME. After I had time to process and reflect, I realized that I never really trusted my NPOA. I was fighting the rifle, and I was fighting the process. I'm going to dry fire, I'm going to get comfortable with the positions, I'm going to shoot AQT's, and I'm GOING TO GET THAT PATCH!

I'm just no good at failing without making a spectacle of myself.  :)

BTW; My screen name is the same on my gun boards so that is why it is here. After not making that patch, I'm a little concerned it may come off a pretentious. Please ignore it........till I get my patch.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority, keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" - Samuel Adams, Father of our Revolution.

They may find me dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

Engineer shooting

Scott a Patch and an Orange hat sure would look good on you! Hope to see you soon!   O0 O0
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Tomblin

Scott,
It was my pleasure to work with you and I look forward to seeing you again at our range to earn your patch . We have a shoot every month through the year so pull up our schedule and see what works time wise.  Glad you are dry firing  you will find it will improve your scores dramatically.  Till next time...
Lucky Lori

BrianB

Tack Driver

Quote from: Engineer shooting on May 22, 2013, 08:19:06 PM
Scott a Patch and an Orange hat sure would look good on you! Hope to see you soon!   O0 O0

I agree!

Quote from: Tomblin on May 22, 2013, 08:28:21 PM
Scott,
It was my pleasure to work with you and I look forward to seeing you again at our range to earn your patch . We have a shoot every month through the year so pull up our schedule and see what works time wise.  Glad you are dry firing  you will find it will improve your scores dramatically.  Till next time...
Lucky Lori

Thanks. My only regret is that Grace didn't take to it like I'd hoped she would. I think she was just overwhelmed. Any tips on that?

Quote from: BrianB on May 22, 2013, 11:04:40 PM
Hey Scott

Check your messages.

Thanks,

Brian

PM replied. I think the forum is limiting my access.
"It does not take a majority to prevail, but a tireless minority, keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" - Samuel Adams, Father of our Revolution.

They may find me dead in a ditch, but by God, they will find me and my rights in a PILE of brass.

LawDog

"Thanks. My only regret is that Grace didn't take to it like I'd hoped she would. I think she was just overwhelmed. Any tips on that?"

Tack Driver, we talk about an AS event being a bit like trying to "drink from a firehose", so being overwhelmed is not unusual.  If you review the lessons bit by bit between now and the next event, Grace may feel more comfortable next time.  Good luck.  (And I agree that you were in the company of some incredible instructors and Americans at the Isaac Davis Memorial Range.  Ken and Crew are good people.)

Tack Driver

Quote from: LawDog on May 23, 2013, 10:41:00 AM
  (And I agree that you were in the company of some incredible instructors and Americans at the Isaac Davis Memorial Range.  Ken and Crew are good people.)

My first clue to that was when I saw the name of the range on the Eventbrite page. I knew I was in good company.  O0

Tack Driver

LawDog, I'm going to take that advice and see how much I can get Grace to do in the interim. I have a feeling that on my private range with just the two of us, she'll loosen up a bit. She get's intimidated easily.