News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Watervliet, MI May 18-19, 2013 AAR

Started by Oz, May 14, 2013, 12:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

What a great weekend at Watervliet!  Twenty-three shooters came out to spend a fantastic two days learning about marksmanship and American heritage.  I could not think of a better way to spend my birthday weekend or nicer folks to spend it with!

We had many new shooters and they really soaked up the instruction.  Did I count four new Riflemen this weekend?  Barry, Lynn, Chet and Bob--congratulations and well done!   ^:)^

Scouts of Troop 110 (and leaders and parents): thank you so much for coming out.  I know you each learned a lot, it was great to spend the weekend with you.  Lynn, you have a  fine group of young men.

Tom, your setup is awesome although at some point perhaps it will become more energy efficient if we just bring the event over to your place rather than make you bring your gear, family and friends to us!  Until that time comes--I hope you keep coming to us with as much gear as you care to bring along and as many people as you can find.  Denise, now that you know how much fun he has with us I hope you won't let him come out alone!

Jim, Jenna and Lane--it was great working with you too.  I loved your enthusiasm--you just pushed through today's 88 degree temperature and kept on learning.

Barry and Ron and Darcy: I know you had other commitments on Sunday but I'm glad you came out on Saturday and I hope we see you again.

On Sunday we smacked steel at 200 yards and our shooters saw that what they learned works as well at distance as it does at 25 meters.  And then we had a little special event, and I'm very proud to have shared that with you.  (You were all calling your shots, weren't you?   ;D  )  Our RSOs will always be able to say that they once cleared a line with a Krag-Jorgenson next to a Trapdoor Springfield next to a Browning M1919A4 (and the list went on from there).  And the shooters did not need to know any of those model names to know they were part of something pretty cool.  Thank you to the folks who arranged it, and to everyone who took part!

Many of you have said you plan to come to another Appleseed event.  I can't wait to see you on the line again!

We had an awesome instructor corps.  Thanks to SteelThunder for heading up the shoot and to intheburbs, Caliper, Grindstone, Rascal21, Sam-I-Am, Zazzles, BitelySam, American Razzamatazz 15 and TreadCarefully--it was a privilege to work with each of you again and I particularly want to thank you folks who had to travel halfway or all the way across the state to volunteer this weekend (which is nearly every one of you)  You all rock.   :bow:
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Oz

"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

SteelThunder

Great group of shooters.  Early heat for a Michigan spring but the spirits were high even if the bodies were unwilling. 

Thanks to all who kept on pluggin'.  I'll second Oz's encouragement to our shooters.  Amazing progress by several "complete newbies"...love it when we see folks that have little experience/never touched a rifle before soak in the instruction and start posting very respectable scores.  Nice job Ann, Darcy, Denise, Pants, Brian and many others I'm forgetting.

Thanks to Boy Scout Troop 110 for 2 great lunches.  It is a real treat to have a lunch provided and I hope that the donation bucket helps offset some of your troop expenses.

And another hearty congrats to our 4 Riflemen.  Nice job fellas and I look forward to seeing you again. 
+  Barry - you'll look great in an Orange Hat! 
+  Lynn and Chet - my apologies for lending you my rifle and costing you a lot of money on a custom 10/22.  Come back to another Appleseed guys! 
+ Bob -- whew!  That was a squeaker!

Enjoyed everyone and I hope you enjoyed the instruction, the history and our "special" events...where else do you get to shoot a guy's hat with main battle rifles circa 1770 - present day?

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Daddy O

Good morning,

Lynn Long hear (Troop110er). A GREAT time was had by all scouts and adults at this outing. The shooting skills we learned were fantastic. I wish I could have taken this 30 years ago and I'm glad to have had an opportunity to share this with our Boy Scouts. It's hard to express the gratitude we have for all of the safety officers / trainers that gave their weekend to us.
I've already got some scouts that indicated they are going to stop until they have their rifleman patch! Yes you are right SteelThunder your loaner rifle got me hooked. I'm already looking at Ruger pieces parts to build one of these dudes. Can't wait to try it out at a future outing and hopefully earn a cold weather rifleman patch with some of our other Scouts.

Happy birthday wishes to OZ again and a heartfelt THANK YOU! To you all.

See you soon at another outing!

Troop110er
:) :) :)   :--- :--- :---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine

Zazzles

I had a great time this weekend and I thought everyone did very well!! I am excited to see all of you at an Appleseed again! I am happy to see all my instructor friends again  ^:)^ 

Zazzles

ITB

Awesome weekend.  Nothing better than sharing it with some fellow Americans eager to learn about marksmanship and heritage.  We had a tremendous group of shooters that gutted it out on the first hot weekend of the year. 

Lynn - thanks for bringing out Troop 110.  That's an impressive group of young men.

Denise - it was great working with you on Saturday.  You made great progress as a new shooter, and your 178 AQT score was awesome.  As were the several targets on stages 3 and 4 of that AQT that were single holes.

Jim, Jenna, and Lane - I'm glad we got you guys squared away on Saturday, so you could better enjoy the weekend.  Jim - you might have to buy Jenna her own AR, she seemed to enjoy shooting mine quite a bit.

Brad - you did a great job when we did ball and dummy together.  Keep working at it, and you'll start making some really nice groups.

Barry - congratulations on your Rifleman score.  I look forward to seeing you in an Orange hat in the near future.

On with some pics....

Troop 110 Color Guard raising the flag Saturday morning

OZ kicking things off with the prone instruction

Grindstone telling a compelling First Strike

Oz captivating folks with his Third Strike

Barry receiving his Rifleman patch

The Pink crew

Crew pic Sunday morning (before we all melted)

Grindstone rocking in the pink shirt, framing the Red Coat Sunday morning

The Great and Mighty Oz receiving his Red Hat

Lynn shooting his Garand (note the enbloc clip caught in mid-flight a foot above his head by the extraordinary photographer  %) )

Hmm..what's that?

Mmmmmm......belt-fed goodness.  Any firearm that requires a tripod is OK in my book!

Zazzles with Oz's perforated hat.  It survived surprisingly well, considering the array of firearms used on it.

Chet receiving his Rifleman patch (241 score!)

Prosper taking the Blue Hat

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

tomahawk

Day 1:
Getting ready for the day.

More Boy Scout Color Guard photos.

The South Line.

The North Line.

tomahawk

Day 2: Ringing steel on the 200 yard range.
Steel Thunder showing us how it's done.

Caliper (in red hat) showing us how it's done.

InTheBurbs showing us how it's done.

TreadCarefully showing us how it's done.

Grindstone showing us how it's done.

AR15 (in blue hat) showing us how it's done.

tomahawk

Oz's Orange Hat Retirement:
The shooters were instructed to shoot the Orange hat as many time as they would like in 90 seconds. You may have heard of the "Mad Minute". This was a "Mad Minute and a Half".  :---

The line prepares in nervous anticipation.

The "Mad Minute and a Half" begins.

Oz's Orange Hat was hurtin' for certain. Oz delivers the "coup de grace" with a 1919.

tomahawk

SteelThunder with his Brown Bess musket.

SteelThunder

Great pix Tomahawk!  Thanks for all you do for us at Watervliet!  It is an honor to serve with you!
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

tomahawk

SteelThunder, It is an honor to serve with you as well. You are a man that knows what he is about.

onthepaper

Thank you all for the time and hard work that you put in with troop 110. We all learned a lot and had a great time. The facilities at Watervliet Rod and Gun Club are excellent. We are looking forward to our next "Appleseed"...and having that new custom 10/22 that Steelthunder so graciously gave a taste of!

Chet Pierce

Daddy O

Hey,
Looking at KIDD for the Ruger rifle build. Tom M. indicated these components were hard to beat. What is your barrel length preference and trigger pull, wasn't sure if 2 stage was the way to go.
Looking at the calendar to get another shoot plugged in shortly.

Have a good evening,

Troop110er
:) :) :)      :---  :---  :---
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine

SteelThunder

Quote from: Troop110er on May 23, 2013, 11:11:30 PM
Hey,
Looking at KIDD for the Ruger rifle build. Tom M. indicated these components were hard to beat. What is your barrel length preference and trigger pull, wasn't sure if 2 stage was the way to go.
Looking at the calendar to get another shoot plugged in shortly.

Have a good evening,

Troop110er
:) :) :)      :---  :---  :---

Hammer Forged is right.  Kidd is hard to beat.  They are right there with Volquartsen and Power Custom.

Personally if you are scoping it, the barrel length is relatively unimportant.  16 - 20".  If you are going iron sights, go with the longest to get your sight radius the longest.  Bull barrel steel is going to be heavy.  There are good results with the steel-lined lightweight carbon or aluminum barrel like Whistle Pig.

Triggers?  You can easily spend $250 on a trigger and it will be a beauty.  2 stage vs 1 stage is up to you...I like 2 stage because I'm used to shooting military rifles (M1, M1A, Match AR) so I like having a similar feel.  You can also spend <$50 and get a target hammer/sear/spring set up from Volquartsen that gets you a BIG step up in triggers.  (My loaner rifle you used had this).
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Reckless Rick

WOW what great weekend and your AAR is nothing shy of outstanding,Thanks for sharing
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest

onthepaper

Hey SteelThunder...what stock do you have on your rifle? Is the the Hogue overmolded stock?

:~ :--- :~ :---

SteelThunder

Quote from: onthepaper on May 25, 2013, 08:11:06 PM
Hey SteelThunder...what stock do you have on your rifle? Is the the Hogue overmolded stock?

:~ :--- :~ :---

Sorry for the Slow Response (TM)  The desert tan stock is a Boyd's Tacticool on the OD green 10-22 with the Whistle Pig barrel
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

onthepaper

Thanks Steelthunder! Gettin something in the works!